Opera Mini coming to Windows Phone soon?
0. phoneArena 18 Aug 2013, 23:59 posted on
You might remember when Opera Mobile was a great browser on a few Windows Mobile powered handsets including the ageless HTC HD2; but Opera has been a no show for Windows Phone and that is getting some Windows Phone users nostalgic for the old days. But there is hope. It could be that Opera is actually working on a version of Opera Mini for Microsoft's open source OS...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. valapsp (Posts: 474; Member since: 12 Aug 2011)
including my still-being-used HTC Touch HD.
2. sri_tech (Posts: 188; Member since: 21 May 2013)
It's only a matter of time before all the big name apps come to Windows phone.
Many official apps came to Windows phone this year. Flipboard, vine, path, mint are also in pipeline.
9. sri_tech (Posts: 188; Member since: 21 May 2013)
It has metrotube which is better than any youtube app on iOS and android.
No one cried for youtube until spat between Google and Microsoft because there are many good youtube apps on WP.
But I agree about instagram.
6tagram is going to be released this week which already got 5 star rating while in Beta. Its being verified by instagram so that its in the rules of instagram.
11. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Microsoft's Youtube app doesn't because Google keeps blocking it. However, maybe it's time that Google's online apps were made to stop working properly on Windows xp/vista/7/8. Perhaps no program made by Google should be allowed to run on x86 machines that use Windows OS...
Microsoft should have purchased Instagram from Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger, but Facebook bought it instead. However, it's hardly the most complex program in the universe, and other replacements will suffice. WP8 is growing like a hurricane, and the days of iOS and Android being the only attractions in town will be over in just a few short years (count on it).
15. Rehankhan (Posts: 323; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
'WP8 is growing like a hurricane'
16. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Damn rights! Fasten the hatches, and break out the life jackets. WP8 is about to make landfall, and break this dumb smartphone OS duopoloy once and for all ;o)
19. SuperNexus (Posts: 115; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
Yeah! a slug speed hurricane.
Almost 3 years(WP7 launch Oct 2010) now and still market share is less than 4%.
Anyway Good news for all WP users.
18. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3537; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
There's a lot of YouTube apps, and Metrogram is way better than the YouTube app you're using on iDroid.. MetroTube is also available on W8.. And there are at least 4 good Instagram apps for WP.. My GF just switched to a 8X from her old iPhone, and one requirements that she had was that WP have Instagram... Well, let's just say that she doesn't miss her iPhone one bit... She also had a HTC oneX, and she really doesn't miss it at all.. So, what does that say about WP❔... You'd better get your facts straight and realize that times are changing...
3. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 778; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Wow Great news...
i always miss opera mini since i switched to WP.
4. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3009; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
This should be a good alternative...
Hell i can't reply on a thread on phonearena with the IE, that's just sad and stupid.
8. -box- (Posts: 3784; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
On WP7/7.5 or 8? Works fine on my Lumia 900 (using it right now actually) but the buttons disappear on my 925.
17. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3009; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
WP8, 720 specifically.
I long pressed and it comes visible, then i let go and it vanishes.
12. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 778; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Use mobile version of phonearena
works fine for me...
5. clevername (Posts: 1428; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
Waitaminute... Did Alan call windows phone 8 "Microsoft's open source OS"?
am I missing something here?
7. -box- (Posts: 3784; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
I have fond memories of Opera from my Symbian days, but there's little to sway me from IE, and I always Nokia Xpress browser if I need a more data-friendly browser. Good alternative for those with non-Lumia WPs.
13. tigermcm (Posts: 714; Member since: 02 Sep 2009)
I have a strong feeling the app will cost and not be 0.99
14. ImperialDynamics (Posts: 16; Member since: 30 Nov 2012)
the Internet Explorer on Windows Phone is a great browser. Really great. I don't care about Opera
21. pookiewood (Posts: 582; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
It's alright. 2 issues. I wish it would wrap all text like in some forums. 2nd it's the ONLY app that crashes my Lumia 920. It happens randomly like once or twice a week. I'm hoping the next update fixes it.
20. pookiewood (Posts: 582; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
Opera Mini/Mobile was the shiznit back in the day! Yes please!
22. mohit9206 (Posts: 9; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
Its about time.Opera mini is my primary browser on my android phone and would definitely switch to WP as soon as opera is available on WP.