Only 3% of cell phones are recycled
According to Nokia, one of the main reasons the phones are not recycled is because people are not aware of the fact this is possible. Nokia claims 80% of the materials in their phones are recyclable and the plastic is burnt to produce energy for the recycling process.
Markus Terho, Director of Environmental Affairs, Markets, at Nokia said, “If each of the three billion people globally owning mobiles brought back just one unused device we could save 240,000 tons of raw materials and reduce greenhouse gases to the same effect as taking 4 million cars off the road. By working together, small individual actions could add up to make a big difference.”
1. kyle (unregistered) posted on 20 Oct 2010, 01:42 0 0
so where does one take an old cell phone?
4. (unregistered) posted on 08 Jul 2008, 12:48 0 0
I know my verizon store has a bin to recycle old phones I also believe staples has a recycleing bin.
13. chucknorris (unregistered) posted on 09 Jul 2008, 13:15 0 0
att also has the recycling bins
2. (unregistered) posted on 08 Jul 2008, 12:00 0 0
3. Damion (unregistered) posted on 08 Jul 2008, 12:44 0 0
Recycle your old phone(s), save the planet, stop the global warming! LOL :D nobody will do that... cuz none cares about the consequences
7. (unregistered) posted on 08 Jul 2008, 13:54 0 0
i do and i love you
5. (unregistered) posted on 08 Jul 2008, 12:51 0 0
if you cant recycle at least sell your phone..i sold all my phones to other people on ebay..even 1 of them was like 4 years old and someone bought it, so im not exactly reclycling but at least someone is getting use out of it again. If you cant recycle it, sell it, its the next best thing because at least someone is using it
8. (unregistered) posted on 08 Jul 2008, 13:55 0 0
thats selfish, why do you think of it as a good thing donate it the those who need it or recycle. selling it, how conceited!
9. (unregistered) posted on 08 Jul 2008, 14:41 0 0
well, it's sort of recycling :)
6. C-Chickie (unregistered) posted on 08 Jul 2008, 13:10 0 0
Wow.. never knew the actual facts about it. I just recently started donating my phone to battered women shelters so at least all my phone arent collecting dust.
10. (unregistered) posted on 08 Jul 2008, 16:31 0 0
I keep one or two in a desk drawer as a backup. The rest I donate or recycle. Or sell on ebay. What's so bad about that?
11. (unregistered) posted on 09 Jul 2008, 09:41 0 0
i probably have about 15 sitting at home if i sell them i'll spend more on shipping and make nothing and recycling sounds good i just keep forgetting to actually take the time and drop them off...plus its my little collection from the very 1st phone i got to my most recent lol
12. (unregistered) posted on 09 Jul 2008, 10:36 0 0
You can also check your local area and see if someone is collecting them to recycle them into calling cards for the troops overseas.