One Sony line to start with the 20 MP Cyber-shot quality Honami phone
0. phoneArena 01 Apr 2013, 07:51 posted on
The most interesting part in the rumored Sony Honami is the alleged Cyber-shot camera module, which might be around 20 MP with the fashionable pixel-binning tech that got pioneered by the 808 PureView in a phone, accompanied by an eventual Xenon flash for the still shots. If this is not enough to make you drool about Sony's new flagship strategy, the Honami phone is also claimed to be water and dust resistant, so it sounds like the dream Android device, depending on how compact Sony managed to make it with all that camera jazz inside...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. xperiaDROID (limited) (Posts: 5577; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Geez....OH MY GOD!! My heart is pumping amazingly fast! I can't stand it anymore. Super specs with amazing camera!
I love you Sony!
19. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
Er, I call BS on this rumor because a) the camera module of the 808 is large enough for many people to call it chubby. b) Nokia has an exclusive agreement with Carl Zeiss for optics c) A high quality camera phone like 808 isn't mainstream, something like the 920 or iPhone or S3 (read: decent smartphone shooter) is. d) 20MP won't be too high to wow people, and if Sony wanted to increase quality, I'd say they'd go with a Ultrapixel like approach rather than the 808 like since they aren't too well in terms of financial results and it'll give people a reason to say sony can't make thin handsets. e) A phone with these specs is gonna cost $1000ish
23. xperiaDROID (limited) (Posts: 5577; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
1. If Sony choose Ultrapixel, I will be disappointed. Yes, the Ultrapixel produces more light but very low details. The 20MP camera is enough to wow many people including me. Don't forget, the Cyber-shot camera will have the famous Carl Zeiss optics on it too.
2. In my opinion, the 808 is chubby but I like the design of the camera, so no big deal of being chubby or not chubby.
3. I agree, the high quality camera phone 808 isn't mainstream, even the iPhone 5, S3, 920 can shoot decent photos as well.
4. I also agree that this phone with these specs will cost $1000ish.
(But I didn't see any BS on this rumor.)
24. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
That's because you missed when I said that Nokia/Carl Zeiss have an exclusive agreement renewed just last year. Your opinion is not the same as mine. The average Joe will look at sites like PA, The Verge, etc who will more likely publish that the 808 (or this phone) is thick. Not that humanity has lost strength to carry 150g and a 15mm thick phone in the past 3-5 years. Lastly, it could be a damn April Fool's prank, my friend.
26. xperiaDROID (limited) (Posts: 5577; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Ok, sorry about that. So, this means that my reply was a fail right? Ok, I know, sorry.
29. jsdechavez (Posts: 708; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
"The average Joe will look at sites like PA, The Verge, etc who will more likely publish that the 808 (or this phone) is thick. Not that humanity has lost strength to carry 150g and a 15mm thick phone in the past 3-5 years. "
You nailed it! I don't care if my phone looks thick.
45. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
one sony is not only high quality camera phone, its all rounded phone that have high quality camera because esto said it based on 20MP cybershot RX100 with new and better post-processing
algorithms, better audio, better screen JDI or IZGO, better design because it will be thiner than 808 and have ip rating,
there also one sony little sister that have same spec but smaller screen its XP RAY successor
33. oister85 (Posts: 401; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Cybershot, walkman, ps certified, awesome processor, good designed, good build quality + Android = Best phone in the world
47. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
20MP will have better or equal to 808 both in picture and video quality because it based on cybershot RX100 and use better software
it also have better audio, screen, design, durability, and thiner
so overall it will be much better than
57. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
if sony had such tech they would have used it already...they haven't so far means they have got nothing comparable to 808. Period.
Cybershot ressurection and its superiority over Nokia's products is a pipedream.
3. shahulvm (Posts: 116; Member since: 01 Apr 2012)
Hope Sony increases the sensor size as opposed to increasing the megapixel count, to give us a better picture quality...
10. amansingal14 (Posts: 289; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
I guess you don't know what pixel binning technology is.
It downgrades a high amount of MP to low MP by merging different pixels. That is how Pureview 808 achieved super high quality photos and lossless zoom along with ~3.2 or 3.4 um pixel size.
27. dakota30312 (Posts: 15; Member since: 27 Mar 2013)
Amen! Sony on paper is supposed to have one of the best cameras with 13mp and a beautiful screen at 1080p but Sony's problem is they always look first on paper but end up being third or fourth in actual use.
4. hinincheng (Posts: 3; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
I prefer a sharp IGZO screen than JDI White Magic screen cuz White Magic will cause yellow to become greenish like the Xperia P...
5. DLanor1107 (Posts: 31; Member since: 01 Apr 2013)
Bring it on SONY!!!... I have the rx100 (20.9 MP and 1" Exmor CMOS sensor, the best compact camera for me) and the xperia Z (One of the best smartphone to date, dust and waterproof) and i cant wait if you will combine them into a one nice device...
6. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
It's like im goin back to sony :) cant wait for more tech explosions this 2013.. but my money will explode too :( ive reserved for a gs4., and im planning for note 3, I really want spen. If togari will have this new tech rumors and somwhat revolutionary stylus, then im sold..
7. lumia920 (Posts: 107; Member since: 27 Nov 2012)
sony, going crazy...
the next thing is battery...
2700-3000 mah is ok.. but it should also be revolutionary, like 5000mah.
thumb up to you sony..
8. ryq24 (Posts: 507; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
20mp! I bet samsung is working on a 21mp phone after reading this article!
12. amansingal14 (Posts: 289; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
One flagship phone and one flagship phablet per year. When will Samsung release the phone? Next Year? By then Sony will have the answer of 21mp too.
13. xperiaDROID (limited) (Posts: 5577; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Then HTC will make a 22up (Ultrapixel) camera after Samsung reads this article.
43. pyradark (Posts: 775; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
than iphone will make 10.1MP after HTC reads this article
48. xperiaDROID (limited) (Posts: 5577; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Yup, 10.1MP camera with 4" Retina display and they call it "INNOVATION". lol xD
9. Scarambay (Posts: 37; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
Cybershot camera + Walkman + Sony branding + IP 57 + 5" FHD JDI panel with WhiteMagic display = Awesome s**t!
31. amansingal14 (Posts: 289; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
If any of those Samsung phones had Sony braanding, I would have the flagship one right now...
But the point is, they aren't. After all Sony is always curious about making their device beautiful, to touch, to see, and to use...
44. Rehankhan (Posts: 323; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
i thought only iphone users care about branding and android users only care about INNOVATION
11. berry889 (Posts: 23; Member since: 01 Apr 2013)
and the price also gonna be whooooooping high..... but I'm a cameraphone guy..... gonna consider this badass
16. playerDACC (Posts: 1; Member since: 01 Apr 2013)
I think sony should understand that they need to lower their price point to increase sales. Expansys is taking pre-orders for the galaxy s4 for 690 euros (Portugal), which i think its a LOT. Sony should sell this phone with the price point of a flagship (of course) which i belive is around 560-600 euros.
Note:I'm saying all this but I'm not a specialist in the subject (just transmitting my thoughts)
Edit: www . expansys . pt/samsung-galaxy-s-4-16gb-black-mist-247567/ (I had to separate the dots)
14. pwnarena (Posts: 933; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
excellent sony sensor with high quality build but negated by the stupid software. hopefully not. i really want to be on sony's side. i really love to argue in favor of sony. i just don't want to be stupid enough to argue for something faulty that cannot be defended.
15. pwnarena (Posts: 933; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
"It is also indicated that Sony might not be giving this camera tech to Apple or Samsung to put in their phones, like it's been doing so far with its mobile camera sensors. "
i think it's more of their competitors being no longer interested in buying their sensors. htc has its own supplier of the ultrapixel camera sensors. apple has been rumored to go for a nikon sensor in their next iphone. samsung might be ditching sony sensors too.
17. sonisoe (Posts: 329; Member since: 06 May 2009)
it has to be mechanical not software driven if u want an amazing camera performance just like a a real camera... if thats what the article means, its worth skiping the xperia z for 7-8 months...
18. xvasek (Posts: 7; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
It sounds great!!! So should I buy Galaxy s4 or wait?? (I know S4 will be available next mont).
It will be big dilemma...
20. ArtSim98 (Posts: 2956; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I WANT THIS!!!!!!!!!!
21. x-men18 (Posts: 3; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
i wonder what will samsung do to counter this? haahaha
51. pyradark (Posts: 775; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
they would probably make Galaxy Camera with 31MP
and 50mm thickness
22. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6581; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Jaw DROPING!! The hell with xperia z zl ill wait till this baby comes out. Fck
28. x-men18 (Posts: 3; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
somebody just dislike all the comments..hahahah
30. DLanor1107 (Posts: 31; Member since: 01 Apr 2013)
yes, must be a fanboy of another smartphone manufacturer...
32. jbjr43 (Posts: 48; Member since: 12 Jun 2012)
Now THAT"S what I'm talking about!
Please make it for VZW..
35. Taters (Posts: 3261; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Not sure if they can do this. The battery life of all the cyber shot cameras I have owned haven't been too good. A cyber shot and a phone together? Might die in like 1 hour.
36. DontHateOnS60 (Posts: 861; Member since: 20 Apr 2009)
I'll be impressed/care when I actually see something come to market that can take down the 808 in photo and video quality.
37. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
well it took a good 2-3 years for other companies to catch up with the nokia n8, so im hoping we dont have that long a wait this time with the 808. hope companies start focusing on the camera to speed up the competition
Nokia always excels here, sony should have the know how to bring a competitive camera out on there devices but they do drop the ball
basically i dont want to have to wait another 3 years for something with a better camera then my 808
38. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
the best possibility the camera is better than 808 and the worst is equal because sony not only use new sensor based on 20MP cybershot RX100 but also its using better software toosony want make all rounded phone that have great camera, great audio, great screen, great design (because it will be thiner than 808), premium quality and durability because it will have better ip rating than XP GO)theres also XP RAY succsessor that have same spec like one sony but with smaller screen and maybe without ip ratingesato say one sony have 60% chance i hope it will become reality
40. rahulz (Posts: 117; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
that's something to change the game.....
Hope sony optimize the softwear well....
41. monkeytown (Posts: 108; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
plz don´t f**k up the display again like on the Z :(
they should go for a LG IPS display
46. Edmund (Posts: 656; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
I'd probably carry one around if the thickness doesn't go over 1500mm. Cameras with telephony and internet access could well be the next big thing and companies like Nokia should definitately keep an eye on this technology.
53. Edmund (Posts: 656; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
oops... That'd be 1.5 metres wouldn't it. lol..
I meant 15mm
50. Archan_Pe (Posts: 74; Member since: 08 Apr 2012)
I knew they would fuse it together :D.. woooooohhhh
52. roldxx (Posts: 42; Member since: 27 Mar 2013)
sony, please provide us with REAL walkman sound quality in your phones
55. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
april's joke or sony ripping off of Nokia again..you're going down , sony.
58. Kino2x (Posts: 1; Member since: 22 Apr 2013)
Great news! This news we've been waiting:) The legend is back! Cyber-Shot will fight with Pureview!
59. jinxtabator (Posts: 18; Member since: 19 May 2013)
Sony bringing together everything it's capable of- accio! So overdue. Bring this out asap Sony, don't mess with holiday timing, just get it out and spreading the love and gathering momentum. I know there are plenty of camera-focused people out there: personally I hope a stand-out camera wouldn't be too much at the expense of slimness/weight, I'd prefer a true all-rounder.