Older Apple devices won’t get all iOS 7 features: is fragmentation lurking in?
0. phoneArena 11 Jun 2013, 09:24 posted on
Apple has taken great pride in its non-fragmented iOS ecosystem. At least, it has presented it that way, trying to make the point that Android in contrast…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
22. quakan (Posts: 1357; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
The 4 didn't get siri because that was the 4s' "new gimmick".
42. tedkord (Posts: 10233; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
The 4 had Siri, as an app, until Apple removed it because they didn't wanted you to have to buy a new phone. The was no hardware issue.
60. VZWuser76 (Posts: 3776; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
That was the official reasoning given by Apple. I completely agree that it was an excuse to push people to upgrade. What Apple doesn't seem to understand by throwing the word fragmentation around is that as technology moves forward, some devices get left behind. That's a fact of life. It does seem bad that phones that are only 2 years old are not compatible with today's software. But the reason for that is look at the jump in technology from only 2 years ago. With the speed it's moving forward, it means that devices will become outdated quicker than they would compared to 10 years ago. It's all due to the speed of tech advancement. The only remedy is to slow down tech advancement, which I think would be a mistake. If that were to happen the tech industry would grow lazy. Pushing the envelope means others have to step up their game. It builds on itself and the rate of advancement starts to increase exponentially. It's not a bad thing.
103. joey_sfb (Posts: 5339; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
As usual when Apple does it it's natural tech progression every one else is fragmentation. LOL!
Remember you are the one that pay for Apple 70% mobile profit. And here you are arguing and justifying for it. Who the bigger fools?
12. jibraihimi (Posts: 750; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
This fragmentation has always been there in the apple devices, most of the features from latest ios were not available for previous generation iPhones...........
14. alpinejason (Posts: 262; Member since: 06 Sep 2011)
phone arena must have really got tired of the constant battles between ios and android.but remove the thumbs down option....really next time just do away with both
17. iami67 (Posts: 318; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Are these the only updates. Seems like the worste update ever.
18. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
Lol, looks like if you wanna thumb someone down you just don't comment, or comment negativly against their post. Pretty good way to eliminate Some of the negative energy some users bring here.....
32. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Agreed, this opens dialogue for a meaningful discussion!!
I just don't understand why people have to be so negative??!
20. HASHTAG (unregistered)
The iPhone 4S isn't even getting the camera filters? Kinda odd.
25. Eonnaydra (Posts: 217; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
You can download an app from the app store.
35. HASHTAG (unregistered)
Yeah, I know but you would still think the 4S should be able to get that feature.
24. Rafael97 (Posts: 16; Member since: 01 Mar 2013)
So, the iPad Mini receives more features than the iPad 3 wich has better specs... nonsense...
26. dirtydirty00 (Posts: 418; Member since: 21 Jan 2011)
that chart looks pretty fragmennnnn...............doh!
27. damokles (unregistered)
I'm not in a hurry for now - i just gave my iPhone 5 to my sister and borrowed an iPhone 4S from a friend. I'm gonna get the next iPhone.
39. -box- (Posts: 3991; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
...why? It'll just be a 5 with some BS update and glitch fixes. Wait for the 6S, or try Windows Phone or Android.
28. wgaurav (Posts: 22; Member since: 17 Dec 2010)
It was funny when Cook was talking about fragmentation in android. You know your an underdog when you talk crap about competitor. IOS 7 features just looked like catch up with android with "Apple touch". Common Apple we need some real innovation from Cupertino. Competition is good.
36. damokles (unregistered)
Why don't you just accept the truth and realize, that Android keeps it's best features for the flagships aswell - and if not - the phone lags to death.
34. damokles (unregistered)
Why don't Android-user just shut a lil bit? No offense guys, but some phones didn't even get [insert random Android-update]. Just remember the picture of Android-fragmentation, that Tim showed yesterday. nuff said.
Let me be honest, I like Android, but there are some things I don't understand.
43. Whateverman (Posts: 3250; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Not all of us are strictly Android users. I have an iPad, so this whole thing effects me too. And there are a lot of others here that use both. I may be hard to tell because we go harder on Apple, but Apple deserves it.
50. protozeloz (Posts: 5396; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Heh mano of those phones on that fragmented OS got an update to hangouts a game center, new Google maps, android has proven to deliver new stuff to older devices even without updates
38. -box- (Posts: 3991; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
IOS has been fragmented from the first update that the first ipod touch couldn't get, and has gotten worse with each generation. Why is this even a topic, other than apple falsely claiming there is no fragmentation?
41. tedkord (Posts: 10233; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Lurking in? The iPhone 4 didn't get Siri. The 4s didn't get the full 3d maps. This is nothing new, iOS had always been fragmented.
46. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
Apple have been doing this for a while nothing new, is only noticeable now cause they have more device.. IPhone 4 didn't get all ios 6 stuff, 3gs didn't get all iOS 4 or 5 stuff.
47. good2great (Posts: 1042; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
lol you guys act like iphone users should always hold on to their devices no matter how old they are, but are quick to come in here and drool over every samsung device that's announced. Sounds hypocritical. the iphone 4 should be outdated. Isn't every android phone with the same lifespan of the iph4 outdated too? GEEZ!!!
95. iushnt (Posts: 1509; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
If you see s2 and iPhone 4, s2 is much future proof than the latter.. Apple devices gets limited feature on updates because of its mediocre hardware and business policy..
48. darkkjedii (Posts: 19737; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
It can't be avoided. Old hardware combined with new software will automatically cause frag.
57. maxican16 (Posts: 364; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
A logical statement? Wow, keep up the good work!
82. ahhxd717 (Posts: 332; Member since: 08 Dec 2011)
I'd agree with you, except for the fact that the iPad 3 gets less features than the Mini, yet the mini has inferior hardware. These features that are getting left out on other devices aren't for hardware reasons, but on the basis on what's the newest device. At least for most of the features.
93. iushnt (Posts: 1509; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
I hope apple comes up with much more future proof hardware rather than the concept of "it is just enough of it just works" after 3 yrs s4 will have many capabilites and features compared to ip5 due to insane specs..
49. Ninetysix (Posts: 2339; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Does any Android manufacturer even release official updates to their devices that is 3+ years old?
65. Whateverman (Posts: 3250; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Nope, Apple doesn't either. (Typing from a 5.1.1 iPad)
I think the bigger point some of us are making is, don't talk about fragmenting when your OS is fragmented as well. It's going to happen no matter what, even with iOS.
91. iushnt (Posts: 1509; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
They dun need.. 3 yrs old android are already so perfect compared to iPhones.. iOS7 is catching up android froyo, gingerbread which is 3 yrs old..
97. willard12 (Posts: 1528; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
Does any android manufacturer have their CEO get on a stage and scream "fragmentation, fragmentation, fragmentation?" Android offers choice. If a consumer wants updates for older devices, they can CHOOSE a Nexus.
100. protozeloz (Posts: 5396; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Al least devices get all the features when they update, and even devices that do not update get new stuff and services
51. hoshi (Posts: 1; Member since: 11 Jun 2013)
I have an itouch 5g, i must be happy to have all the new features...?
52. stealthd (unregistered)
The problem with fragmentation has nothing to do with 3-4 year old phones not getting updates. It's about NEW phones or phones that haven't been out that long not getting updates.
53. CreeDiddy (Posts: 607; Member since: 04 Nov 2011)
It designed like this on purpose. It forces people to upgrade. It's a sales tactic!
56. Ninetysix (Posts: 2339; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Is it because the 3 year old phone automatically stops working when the new udpate is released? Might also have something to do with that Apple sales person that's holding a gun on your head forcing you to upgrade...
92. iushnt (Posts: 1509; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
Yes.. I was perfectly using viber on my secondary iPhone 3g..now when I updated it, it got removed.. Now I can't install it or use it.. Similarly, many of my apps are not working which was working well before.. This is the worst ecosystem..
62. Hallucinator (Posts: 344; Member since: 24 May 2010)
I am definitely an IPhone fan. This is fragmentation, however no where near as bad as Android. Then again, there are not nearly as many different Iphones as there are Android phones. It is going to happen, as others have said. It is just like when Samsung releases a new galaxy phone with a few new features that the older ones do not get.
63. Quezdagreat (Posts: 428; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
I don't see anything wrong with it, its just way to make you want to upgrade your phone. but tell me this, how many android phone that came since the iphone 4 got the jelly bean update and it was not manufactured by Samsung?.
71. biophone (Posts: 1910; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
I would rather get an update that isn't complete then no update at all
73. JojoGo101 (Posts: 211; Member since: 17 Dec 2012)
I'm happy iTouch 5 gets all the features :P
80. NewTone (Posts: 21; Member since: 20 Feb 2013)
I dont get it, Panorama is on my 4s right now.... how is this "new"?
94. google8374 (Posts: 7; Member since: 11 Jun 2013)
i just got the ios7 from etsy.com/listing/153786325/udid-activation
and i love it havent had any problems with it. no bugs
96. flynfree (Posts: 374; Member since: 09 Jun 2013)
Is the next iphone 5s will added stereo speakers, sd slot, replaceable batt, and fm radio!? Kindly inform me when they do that for their next iteration of phone, I'm bored using my hTc One.