The new X-series is taking over Sony's aging Z-line
Officially official: the Z-series is dead, confirms Sony, long live the X-line
1. yoosufmuneer (Posts: 1491; Member since: 14 Feb 2015)
Maybe they can reduce the bezels the next time. X performance looks awesome tho.
9. jeeta444 (Posts: 154; Member since: 24 Mar 2014)
xperia X is just a new product line.
xperia Z6 exists and will be launched at IFA.
Just dont trust these rumors.
11. -Shadow- (Posts: 87; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
Maybe they want to break their 6 month cycle for Xperia Z, so a new X phone for the first half of the year and a Z phone for the second.
23. promise7 (Posts: 868; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
Rumors? This is direct quote from Sony's Senior Product Marketing Manager at Sony Mobile. That's official, not "rumor."
28. Subie (Posts: 458; Member since: 01 Aug 2015)
Yup, no where in the article does it say anything about it being a rumor.
30. DoggyDangerous (Posts: 762; Member since: 28 Aug 2015)
yes, it is not a rumor. What ever, it is a good decision. Z series was never successful. Sale never reached a healthy number. Only Utopian fan boys were fighting over it. So it is a good decision to kill the flagship line when they were not able to make a true flagship. Upper mid range is the category for sony to play around. They were too slow to make it available for purchase that by this time, another Z phone was already announced. They were never able to fix the software of Z series camera. I praise sony for realizing the reality.
40. Rydsmith (Posts: 511; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
I don't think you understand what the word rumor means, especially seeing as how this is coming from Sony themselves.
22. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 2047; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
They should have continued using the Z name for their flagships and retained the X name for Windows (as they did with X1, X2).
Plus wasn't there an article like this already
25. HugoBarraCyanogenmod (Posts: 1005; Member since: 06 Jul 2014)
Sony can just rest in peace with Fujitsu Toshiba and the rest of the Japanese electronic corpse-operations
31. DoggyDangerous (Posts: 762; Member since: 28 Aug 2015)
Sad reality. Japan is going down. I still love their durable electronic which I used to play with in my childhood days. Now No choice except to embrace weak and crappy Chinese products Or weak and crappy China made US products.
2. dimas (Posts: 1896; Member since: 22 Jul 2014)
Not a big deal. Just create fresh flagships and compact series with monster specs that can compete and sony will be good. And please stop slashing your battery capacities as this is one of the things that people loved with the xperias. People can live with full hd displays so no need to go QHD for now.
3. Switch00 (Posts: 399; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
Z, X - same thing, same waste of screen with huge bezels, different name. not worth mentioning. where's Ultra?
4. JcHnd (Posts: 91; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Please stop posting the same article (with two or three different words from different authors) all the time. Instead just update the older one if anything new comes up.
Seriously, it gets boring.
Thank you! :)
20. promise7 (Posts: 868; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
This is different from the previous article. The previous one was speculation because it was from Sony's Germany Facebook page and Sony's Mobile Twitter page. This one is direct from Sony's Senior Product Marketing Manager at Sony Mobile which is all but certain confirmation now.
5. Switch00 (Posts: 399; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
Z, X - same thing, same waste of screen with huge bezels, different name. not worth mentioning. where's Ultra?
48. killer7D (Posts: 259; Member since: 18 Sep 2014)
Your comments are same waste of time. I am not a fan of Sony and never owned any of their devices but you are too much!
6. vuyonc (Posts: 987; Member since: 24 Feb 2014)
No genuine problem with the X Series but they could have at least broken the 6 month flagship refresh cycle with a power user focused large phablet rather than the XP.
7. sen555 (banned) (Posts: 3; Member since: 21 Nov 2015)
X series are pretty good and awsome.. But unfortunally we missed Z series.. Still love it.. :/ Wil see.. What happened.. :(
8. mercorp (Posts: 1022; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
So will there be another flagship at IFA this year? LOL if they call it the Xperia XD.
10. hanabi (Posts: 177; Member since: 08 Oct 2015)
Next year no more xperia x lines they will come up with xperia y or something and sadly sell off mobile division
12. Pattyface (Posts: 1518; Member since: 20 Aug 2014)
These articles can't be taken without a laugh or two.. We'd say good riddance? Way to stay professional..
Anyways I feel the x line is a pretty good set of phones but are far too small to be considered a flagship and the release dates are absurd. Sony can't seem to get out of their own way.
14. Ordinary (Posts: 2177; Member since: 23 Apr 2015)
I remember X10 Mini, it was my first android phone. Good times :D
Honestly this new X series looks great, if they reduce bezels it will be the best looking phone in the world.
16. yoosufmuneer (Posts: 1491; Member since: 14 Feb 2015)
Nope. Wat bout the S6//S7 Edge lol? Those phones look way better than X series
19. Ordinary (Posts: 2177; Member since: 23 Apr 2015)
They are good too but like I said if they manage to reduce bezels on X Perfomance it will be the best
37. Acdc1a (Posts: 114; Member since: 21 Jan 2016)
It's more than just the "look" of phones. I've actually preferred the conservative look of Sony phones, but I've never had luck with them in the wild. Too many issues for me.
17. xperiaZlover (Posts: 188; Member since: 15 Nov 2015)
Sony X series is good.but Sony seriously have to do the pricing correct.I think Sony is lying.
They didn't call the X performance their flagship in mwc right?
I hope they would still release that Z6 and Z6 ultra in September at IFA.
I was wondering why didn't they release Xperia Z (2016) instead of the Xperia X performance and restart the Z series.
That would have been the best thing they could have done.
they could have added some better features like USB type C
And anything more.
21. S.R.K. (banned) (Posts: 678; Member since: 11 Feb 2016)
But instead of Dragontrail glass, please make it with all sapphire glass.
18. jesus_sheep (Posts: 223; Member since: 18 Apr 2015)
I'm glad they have retired the Z series. They were good till the Z2 and everything was downhill since. The X series should give Sony the edge that the Z series failed in.
24. jellmoo (Posts: 1486; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
I'm just not seeing a real shift here though. Other than moving from a glass back to a metal one, what is the real change being made? I'm not sure why this warrants a re-branding.
27. Subie (Posts: 458; Member since: 01 Aug 2015)
how about no waterproofing as well. Not saying it's a good change though.
26. GreenMan (Posts: 913; Member since: 09 Nov 2015)
Talk about putting lipstick on a pig...!!!
Sony, You're hilarious Sonny! Name doesn't matter...
Just make a darn nice phone as that's what the masses care about, savvy?
29. avishekmukherjee (Posts: 284; Member since: 09 Apr 2015)
As a Z3 user
I am really sad
but I am loving the "X" series
32. KINGJUAN27 (Posts: 210; Member since: 02 Jul 2012)
This is really sad. I'm a user and a huge fan of the Xperia Z line and Sony in general. But after this, I lost my confidence in Sony's naming and marketing strategies. I'm already thinking of upgrading for an iPhone 7 :(
33. xperiaZlover (Posts: 188; Member since: 15 Nov 2015)
Sony should have restarted the Z series instead of moving to the X series.
Would have been the best naming for the newly released Xperia Devices.
The new Xperia naming strategy can be confusing to some people.
As a Sony design lover I would buy a Sony.
But most people would be confused.
And not buy.some people don't like the X naming.
I like the X naming
I guess they should have done some changers
Sd820 version should have been the Xperia X
Sd650 should have been Xperia XM
Helio p10 should have been the Xperia XC
This is better naming.
I believe Sony would only release these 3 phones until IFA not like last year.
34. adsg48 (Posts: 60; Member since: 18 Apr 2015)
I never used a Sony Xperia. But this Xperia X Performance looks cool and thanks Sony for ditching the weird glass back.
35. xperiaZlover (Posts: 188; Member since: 15 Nov 2015)
I hope you guys would support Sony by buying a handset by them.
Guys come on tell me another major manufacturer who produce design as good as this?
Samsung LG IPhone htc- Curvy design
Sony - brick Curvy
Only other manufacturers who produce bricks are huawei , xiaomi I guess.
Hope the unique design of Sony survive till the age of foldable smartphones,when they will design something new.
Long live Sony mobile.
38. jove39 (Posts: 1816; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Someone at Sony Mobile decided to make unnecessary re-branding decision. What Sony should've done...stop launching new flagship phone every 6 months and stick to annual updates.
X series is just a face lift that did not required re-branding. Anyway, I was big fan of Sony phones (not smartphones)...W (walkman) & K (camera) series. I hope Sony comes back to it's senses and improve their phones instead of re-branding them.
39. Trakker (Posts: 283; Member since: 11 Feb 2016)
Maybe they can start making phones now that don't look like a paving slab with glass stuck on.
55. medtxa (Posts: 1115; Member since: 02 Jun 2014)
Yeah i like curvy phones more. Its more ergonomic too.
41. AZNHA (unregistered)
the X series
hopefully they will bring back the (g)old legacy of Sony Ericsson
42. Chuck007 (Posts: 1035; Member since: 02 Mar 2014)
I wouldn't mind it if the X was a drastic redesign... but it's basically the Z3 (design) and Z5 (camera) with some brushed metal slapped on the back. I've been waiting years for Sony to being something new (like the good old days when they set industry standards) to the mobile space but all they do is disappoint me. Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me 5 times... well. shame on me again for being an ignorant fanboy. Hey at least now I finally know better. The old Sony is forever gone.
45. natypes (Posts: 1079; Member since: 02 Feb 2015)
I know Sony has fans, but I think their days are numbered. They just aren't popular enough. I don't wish them to go away at all, but I'm afraid it's inevitable.
47. vedraj (Posts: 75; Member since: 04 Oct 2013)
since Sony came to recent fame from The xperia x series 4 years ago.(the x8,x10)
49. SonyPS4 (Posts: 344; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Bad decision. Z series had reputation as flagship Xperia similar to Samsung's S series. It is more popular compared to other series. Sony make a very big mistake.
50. SonyPS4 (Posts: 344; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Sony got very bad issues with naming. They totally skip Z4 series for some market and going for Z3+ instead, Then straight for Z5. Learn from Apple and Samsung. It is shame because I think they phone is excellent especialy the Z Compact series. My Z3 Compact is the best phone i ever had.
51. Zylam (Posts: 663; Member since: 20 Oct 2010)
I love Sony and I love their Omibalance design expect for the freaking huge bezels. Everyone's acting like the X series is a new revolution of some kind, it's literally the same thing with huge bezels but with the exception of being metal from the back, what makes them think this will do any better?
They need to keep the Omibalance, get rid of the bezels, make a phone with literally just a glass screen on front and 0.3-4 mm bezels around all sides, fit the front speakers tightly on the top and bottom blending them in to the phone design and release their concept Android skin that was literally stock Android with Sony apps installed.
Man I would buy the crap out of such a device. Please Sony.
56. tasior (Posts: 265; Member since: 04 Nov 2012)
I'm a small phone enthusiast.
Z5 Compact, was the last considerably small phone, to buy. What will be next? Will there be any choice for me around 2017?
57. oozz009 (Posts: 517; Member since: 22 Jun 2015)
So long as Sony manages to have more success with the X line compared to the Z line, it's fine with me. Go for it Sony!! (Just hope, the cam can impress this time...)