Official Ubuntu demoed on a Nexus 7
0. phoneArena posted on 22 Oct 2012, 18:46
This isn't Ubuntu for Android, or a hacked together demo made by an enthusiast, this is real Ubuntu running on a Google Nexus 7 tablet and being shown off by an official Canonical engineer, and it could be a reality as soon as April...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
17. PhenomFaz posted on 23 Oct 2012, 09:43 0 0
its not bad to see other OS on devices...feels fresh for a change
2. evolutionqy7 posted on 22 Oct 2012, 18:53 1 0
Don't know about you guys but the screen is way too small for a desktop OS like Ubuntu.
3. MichaelHeller posted on 22 Oct 2012, 18:59 10 0
Not necessarily. Sure, the app dock could be a bit bigger, but as long as the apps support responsive design, things should display with no problems. There's no reason why a desktop OS needs to have a large screen unless you plan you run more than say 2 apps side-by-side in windows.
18. evolutionqy7 posted on 23 Oct 2012, 10:01 0 0
Ubuntu is not in any way optimized for a tablet, never mind a 7" incher. Its just as good as trying to run Windows 7 on it.
Thats the whole point of a desktop OS is to be able to multitask efficiently
4. SemperFiV12 posted on 22 Oct 2012, 19:31 2 0
I am running Ubuntu on my laptop now... although it is not the smoothest and most functional OS... For the price of free it has resurrected many of my Windows running laptops (of course, not nagging on the software, laptops died due to hardware issues) and I am very happy with its existence.
This would be an interesting alternative to a Surface tablet, even though I'd give the edge to the Surface and Surface Pro.
6. rusticguy posted on 22 Oct 2012, 19:48 1 0
Hmmm didn't i talk about UBUNTU on a TABLET the other day on some thread ?
UBUNTU will be great and it would be what WINDOWS 8 Pro surface would be. I think even Ubuntu doesn't have ba start button/menu. yet another nightmare for Apple ... :)
10. shuaibhere posted on 22 Oct 2012, 21:44 1 0
Instead of start ubuntu has dash button....which more useful than start and can be accessed from where ever you are.....
7. squallz506 posted on 22 Oct 2012, 20:15 0 0
Cool but i don't see the utility on a tablet. Especially a 7" tab. Android takes me wherever i want to go. I don't see the benefit. Besides android developers outnumber ubuntus like 100 to 1. Maybe ubuntu can edge w8 out but i think android is a better mobile os with better applications and development. So far anyway. I guess we'll see.
8. rusticguy posted on 22 Oct 2012, 20:21 0 0
This i see as an answer to WINDOWS8 Pro down the road. Who knows google could bge involved as Ubuntu runs at google empire officially :)
11. theindianguy posted on 22 Oct 2012, 22:56 0 0
Ubuntu on nexus 7 combined with wine app will easy be able to run windows 7 apps as far as I know.
13. predator93 posted on 22 Oct 2012, 23:39 1 0
Bring it on Canonical, more the choices better for us.
14. rusticguy posted on 23 Oct 2012, 00:13 2 0
Canonical i guess already provides support to Google empire. Don't be surprised if Google is pushing all this :)
15. saiki4116 posted on 23 Oct 2012, 00:30 0 0
If Ubuntu for Android materialised,it would be definitely change the computing in developing countries like India,where 4G is going to be released soon..
16. rusticguy posted on 23 Oct 2012, 09:43 0 0
In India it's $$$ for Politicians deposited in Swiss a/c that can do wonders :)
19. saiki4116 posted on 24 Oct 2012, 08:23 0 0
Ya,there is corruption everywhere in Indian Government,but there are also positives to take...