Official: DROID BIONIC release date is scheduled for the summer, coming with enhancements
0. phoneArena 20 Apr 2011, 09:14 posted on
A few days ago we exclusively informed you there is a great likelihood that the handset which we met as the Motorola DROID BIONIC at CES 2011...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. celljrod (Posts: 82; Member since: 07 Apr 2011)
The only way pushing the Droid Bionic back this far is if they are also planning on pushing back the release of the Targa. I like the Bionic, but if the Targa will be released within a couple of months of it, my money's waiting for the Targa.
4. MalakiMills (Posts: 257; Member since: 15 Jun 2010)
No, what they are saying is that the phone the codenamed "etna", the original bionic, is indeed cancelled. However, they will be keeping the name "Bionic" and using it on the motorola Targa.
3. Tottenham (Posts: 86; Member since: 05 Jan 2011)
Although this article does not make it very clear, after conversing with a PA staff member it is my understanding that the original Bionic (the so-called "Etna") IS dead, and the Targa will be launched as the Bionic. So there won't be a "Bionic" and a "Targa".
5. celljrod (Posts: 82; Member since: 07 Apr 2011)
If the "Etna" is dead, why is it still on Motorola's own web page?
23. Tottenham (Posts: 86; Member since: 05 Jan 2011)
I'm not reporting the news, merely re-stating what I was told by PA.
26. Dr.Phil (Posts: 1119; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
Wow...and you believed them...thats the sad part.
27. caly (unregistered)
he is actually right, I heard the same thing
7. snowgator (Posts: 3558; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
As Phone Arena breaks it's arm patting itself on the back......
I am near confused with this Verizon phone release stuff, and this coming Summer/Fall device and tech is the whole reason I started trolling tech sites in the first place, to make good decisions for the next couple years. Let see if I am following the bouncing ball correctly-
1) Droid Bionic, which is supposed to be the new Droid flagship with all the toys and fun crap, is now a completely new device, most likely available for summer, but we are not sure as the device that it is now (tegra) wasn't slated to be sold until fall.
2) The Samsung Droid Charge is kinda hoping to hold over people who wanted the first Bionic, but are not willing to wait for the second Bionic, despite the fact it is from a completely different company and is closer to the Galaxy series then the Moto Droid series.
3) Droid X2, not LTE and may (according to Phone Scoop) or may not (according to Phone Arena) be dual core is not a "flagship", and seems less like the X then the Bionic (new one, of course, not old one.)
4) The actual Motorola Droid will have it's third succesor out, but is not LTE or Dual core, and is no longer in the conversontion as the flagship device, even though it started the Droid revolution for Verizon as the first flagship device, before the first Bionic was slated to replace it, now that the Samsung Galaxy- oops, Droid charge, sorry- is bumping it, waiting for the NEW Bionic which will bump them all.
8. evan5000 (Posts: 5; Member since: 20 Apr 2011)
Let me see if I can help you, as I do my fair of trolling on these sites as well.
1. The phone that was shown off in January, with an internal name of Etna but known by the end-users (us) as BIONIC, appears to have been cancelled. However, Motorola is ramping up development of Targa, which is basically the same phone (both are Tegra 2 4.3'' LTE phones) with the major change being that Targa has a higher megapixel camera (from 5 to 13mp I believe.) In effect, this allows Verizon and Motorola to save face, saying they never cancelled anything but instead made "enhancements" to the original phone, Etna, which is BS.
2.I partially answered this with the first point, but there won't be Bionic's 1 and 2, there will be just one phone that comes out in the near future (about a year if I had to guess). I don't know as much about the Charge as I don't trust Samsung to update their devices, but otherwise it's another single core 4.3'' LTE phone alongside the Thunderbolt.
3. Droid X2 is now looking like it will be dual-core, though Motorola may choose a different chipset than Tegra for it (perhaps Snapdragon, similar to HTC). Aside from that, the X2 won't be LTE, but most of the other features will be similar to the Bionic.
4. I follow these sites fairly closely and aside from a release sometime in the latter half of this year, I've heard very little about the Droid 3. Personally speaking, it wouldn't surprise me if they bumped the screen to 4'' and gave it dual-core and/or LTE as a high-end option for those that still want a keyboard. Just my two cents.
9. celljrod (Posts: 82; Member since: 07 Apr 2011)
What you say is possible if the leaked photos were not the Targa. The Targa and Etna are 2 TOTALLY different phones
11. evan5000 (Posts: 5; Member since: 20 Apr 2011)
I realize the Targa looks more like the Droid X, but I have faith in marketing, and they can pass it off as making the phone "slimmer" or some crap like that. How many people besides die-hard phone enthusiasts are going to cry wolf if the aesthetics have mildly changed?
13. celljrod (Posts: 82; Member since: 07 Apr 2011)
Good point though about the general public not knowing the difference
10. evan5000 (Posts: 5; Member since: 20 Apr 2011)
New to the site, so I can't figure out how to edit my previous post. Just wanted to clarify, when I said "about a year" in the second point, I meant they won't come out for an update to the Bionic for about a year, once the first is released.
12. celljrod (Posts: 82; Member since: 07 Apr 2011)
The Targa, when leaked, wasn't billed as an update to the Bionic, but rather as a seperate flagship device
14. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Right, but with the Droid X2 coming out already, as well as the Droid 3, coupled with development issues on the Etna, it seems to have made sense for Moto to cancel the Etna, as it's the weakest link out of the three. Underwhelming sales of the Atrix probably also have something to do with it, as the BIONIC and Atrix are very similar to each other.
With the Etna thrown in among all the other upcoming Moto Droid phones, as well as offerings by HTC, Verizon's lineup would've been too saturated.
18. celljrod (Posts: 82; Member since: 07 Apr 2011)
Also a very good point, and I can see that happening, but it still doesn't explain why the "Etna" is still showing on Motorola's website
20. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
You know what? Not sure about that one. Maybe it isn't completely dead yet, and they'll eventually release it after all. But with the supposed problems they've been having with test units, they can't afford right now to keep promoting it as the impending BIONIC.
19. snowgator (Posts: 3558; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
So really the breakdown is:
Bionic- is a stand alone, new, LTE/dual core now based on the Tegra, and will resemble the "X" in design.
X2- will (most likely) have dual core, but not LTE and will be slimmer and actually a different design. If true, this will give Verizon reps and customers a dual core option in areas without LTE as a selling point. Not a bad marketing plan, actually.
Samsung charge- Single core, LTE, kinda shooting for whatever market didn't hop on the T-Bolt, but wants a little cheaper then a dual core/LTE device will cost.
Droid 3- kinda still up in the air, but if true to reports, actually a little bit of a mid-range offering with neither LTE or Dual core, but aiming for those who need a physical qwerty and will not buy a device without it (still a fairly large consumer group.)
Thanks Evan for update, and all other posts. I am gonna go get a drink, and wait for the next post from Verizon that changes all this again. :-)
21. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
The supposed screenshots of the X2 show it as being very similar to the original X as well, actually. I agree that offering an updated flagship 3G model as LTE continues to roll out is a smart decision.
Droid 3 also keeps its niche, and the Targa looks like just the phone to be the next big flagship for Verizon. I just hope we can get something like that here at AT&T.
The Charge, though, just seems like a waste of money.
36. ILikeBubbles (Posts: 525; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
what offerings by htc? as far as i've seen the only phone they've came out with or will be coming out for a while is the Thunderbolt... what i'm REALLY hoping for is an Eris2 even though that's really unlikely but in upcoming phones what else by htc is really coming? i think we're all past the wildfire...
38. Sean (unregistered)
Your information is faulty. The Droid Bionic is not canceled. It has been delayed due to responses from CES 2011. The device is being revamped with a new form factor and and other enhancements. It's release will be this summer. Motorola is being stupidly silent in communicating to it's customers as to an exact release date. Possibly they don't know but any communication is better than none.
15. tragichero (Posts: 163; Member since: 07 Jan 2011)
so what im getting from this is that the boinic is now going to have a 13 megapixel camera, a slimmer design, and will be released in the summer (around the same time reported at ces). this sounds like great news! way to go PA and other people trying to make this sound like a bad thing... everyone who has actually been waiting on the bionic should be stoked!
16. tragichero (Posts: 163; Member since: 07 Jan 2011)
i think there is more memory on the new version of the bionic too!
17. tragichero (Posts: 163; Member since: 07 Jan 2011)
maybe gingerbread.... probably an update though...
22. diligaf (unregistered)
I started following these forums recently also, had my mind set on the Bionic, then the 3D, and sensation were announced with sense 3.0 and the Bionic just didn't seem so Bionic anymore, I think this is simple, super phones were being announce while people were complaining about the Bionics 512 ram, wimpy FFC, the only thing it really had going for it is the new display and everyone has or will have that already. I wish VZW would get a real powerhouse like the 3D or Sensation.
24. snowgator (Posts: 3558; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
While I think the Motorola offerings on Verizon are good offerings, I totally agree a Sensation or EVO 3D style offering from HTC on it's lineup would just put most other carriers line up to shame. Throw in iPhone options, and HP (?), plus a couple of new Blackberry devices, and Verizon would really start to pull away from AT&T.
25. bigfoot (unregistered)
What is wrong with motorola. They should write a book on how to screw up a good mobile phone franchise. This is the second time they have done this. First the razor now the droid. It boggles the mind, just put out a couple dual core lte cdma android phones. How tough is that, maybe that is difficult.
28. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Your post displays just how ignorant you are. You're talking about taking processing and memory technology that, only a few years ago, required a good sized laptop and a big battery just to run for a few hours, and shrinking it all down to the size of your hand, while BOOSTING battery life instead of losing it. The electronics and software involved in making it all work well, let alone perfectly, require experts in every field involved. The Etna design did not pass muster, therefore Motorola is saving everyone a lot of time and trouble by not releasing it as the Bionic. Why is that such a problem for you, especially if they're ramping up production of the Targa to replace the Etna?
30. WDBJ (unregistered)
Who dislikes almost every comment??? Dont hate on the Bionic
32. LWallace (unregistered)
The Bionic was a nice "idea" but its nice to see that Motorola took notice that the Targa was just going to be a better phone all around. How can you compete with 13mp? God newbs like you make me sick
33. WDBJ (unregistered)
I wonder who Lwalace is????? hmmmmm haha
34. LWallace (unregistered)
Dude, you have no idea who I am. SO about Google, think about it. Good Luck!
31. StillStuckWithDroid (unregistered)
Yeah I don't think this was that hard to sniff out. The Etna had problems....sounds like Battery/power issues and the fixes were going to take them too close to the release of the Targa. The two phones are actually quite a bit similar spec wise (Size,Screen Type and Res,Processor,OS) with the Targa having more upgrades. There would be no reason to mass produce a phone that people wouldn't be buying in favor of the better phone. So Moto made the decision to kill off the Etna and replace it with the Targa.....rather than send two phones at the same time and have one draw from the others market share.
The big problem for me is if it takes it past the date that Verizon institutes its new data package policy.....we all KNOW that is coming somewhat soon. I want to jump on something LTE before that happens to get grandfathered in. Hopefully they get this to market somewhat soon
35. Hazazel (unregistered)
I have a friend that works for verizon and this information was unofficially confirmed by someone in the back office at verizon but they have said the bionic will be revamped but maintain its name and be released sometime in early august. We all know its probably not going to be that soon but thats what i heard so far
37. Sean (unregistered)
I don't understand why Motorola isn't publishing any information as to the status of the Motorola Bionic and it's approximate release date. Are they just trying to be uncommunicative and vague? If they owed a brain they would come up with SOMETHING to possibly persuade their potential future customers to hold off buying a competitors product now. I think it's great that they have decided to hold off the release of the Bionic to resolve issues but keeping everything under wraps does nothing but piss off customers. Do they care?
39. millenniumccdc (unregistered)
I own the droid global. I wish it was there was an epic 4G dual core option for Verizon. The galaxy S2 comes close minus the keyboard. With devices approaching the 600 price point without contract they should just be able to make this a reality. DLNA is not a replacement option for HDMI. Verizon is great for call quality or else I would have jumped to the greener pasture and bought an epic 4G.(then root). OMAP5 you ain't seen nothing yet!!!!
40. dario4g (unregistered)
I got Best Buy Buy Back Program so I am selling my Thunderbolt and getting he bionic and then doing the same thing with that and then getting the next big thing