OTA Update now hitting Motorola DROID 2
For those still hanging on to the phone, hoping that August gets here in a hurry so that they can update to the Motorola DROID 4, you should check the screen on the device. There you should find an OTA update (v4.5.621) that will install some bug fixes, and comes in at 14MB. Some of the bugs being fixed includes one that turns on the phone without any interaction from the user and one that replicates thumbnails in message threads. After the update, users of the Motorola DROID 2 will be able to save purchased ringtones and use them when appropriate.
If you haven't received the OTA notice of the update, you can check for it manually by going to Settings -> About Phone -> System Updates and looking to see if the update has arrived and is ready to be installed.
- Device is enabled with the Wireless Alerting System.
- A Google Security Patch has been added to improve security level.
- Fixed issue where the device may power ON without user interaction.
- Adjusted camera settings will be saved, even after the device is powered down.
- Resolved possible device resets while playing music.
- Reduced Out of Memory errors.
Email, Messaging & Data
- Improved ability to access and receive Gmail messages when the
- Mobile Hotspot is turned on.
- Addressed error that replicated thumbnails in message threads.
Applications & Widgets
- WAV files can be played from Visual Voice Mail.
- Purchased ringtones are now able to be downloaded, saved and used where appropriate.
1. ILikeBubbles (Posts: 302; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
glad to see this, one of my closest friends has a droid 2 that he's very disappointed in... i threw a cm7nightly on it but this may encourage devs to become active on it again because it's rather difficult to see an active forum on the motorola droid 2 (NOT global)
2. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5589; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
if you can get a Droid 3 cheap outright i'd definitely suggest you get it. it's a substantial upgrade to the Droid 2 and is one of my favorite phones to date. there's things i like about it more than my Razr. o:
5. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
especially the great qwerty that comes with it
3. JBz007 (Posts: 62; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Motorola may not be timely with updates but they still push them out even late in a products life cycle. Cheers Motorola.
4. trentsinmypants (Posts: 312; Member since: 29 Jan 2009)
So wait, still no patch on the keyboard issue with the Droid 2? C'mon Motorola......