Nvidia Tegra 3 getting heat from Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro
0. phoneArena posted on 07 Dec 2012, 03:23
The Nvidia Tegra 3 was all the rage in the beginning of 2012 as it was one of the first quad-core chips on the market…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 07 Dec 2012, 03:36 6 9
I think One X failure can be blamed a lot on Tegra 3. Thanks to Tegra 3 battery life of One X is poor. But Tegra 3 is great for N7 b-c it helps reduce the cost.
But if Nvidia intends to compete on price and sacrifice quality I think it's wrong strategy. In the long run Tegra will be associated with inferior quality that no big brand wants to use.
2. Cyan3boN posted on 07 Dec 2012, 04:19 6 2
u know nothing about processors, do your homework.
3. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 07 Dec 2012, 04:25 2 6
can you please point out where I'm wrong, I'll appreciate it.
5. yowanvista posted on 07 Dec 2012, 04:40 5 2
Tegra 3 is battery friendly especially when the 5th core manages low activity tasks. In fact the Tegra 3 powered One X offers slightly more battery life than the S4 variant.
12. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 07 Dec 2012, 05:28 5 0
I know about the 5th core, that's the plus of Tegra 3, but Tegra use 45nm technology and that makes it more power hungry comparing to SS Exynos 4 Quad which uses better manufacturing technology.
Thanks for the link but I think this comparison is inconclusive.
19. yowanvista posted on 07 Dec 2012, 11:03 0 0
Tegra 3 is actually built on the 40nm process due to the production problems at TMSC earlier this year.
9. androidlikeaboss posted on 07 Dec 2012, 05:20 1 0
The battery life of the one x has been greatly improved over the last few updates
11. RaKithAPeiRiZ posted on 07 Dec 2012, 05:23 1 0
the one x has a very small battery compared to the 4300+ mah cell in the nexus 7 its like comparing 2 v8's and driving on a tour with one v8 having a giant fuel tank
4. oying24 posted on 07 Dec 2012, 04:33 6 1
how do you know htc one x is a fail?? did u own one?? get real dude. i have htc one x and i dont think its a fail.coz if i have chance to chose again between sgs3 and htc one x.i still chos HOX without any hesitation.
6. androidlikeaboss posted on 07 Dec 2012, 04:45 2 4
Ignore MeoCao,he's a samsung fanboy
14. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 07 Dec 2012, 05:41 3 0
LOL, FYI I'm Android fan and not loyal to any OEM.
But I know I'm not correct all the time so that makes the discussions fun and useful.
13. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 07 Dec 2012, 05:38 2 2
Look at the sales and how HTC declining market share and we see that One X failed.
This does not mean that One X is bad phone, but it can't compete with GS3 and even Sony Xperia T
18. CanYouSeeTheLight posted on 07 Dec 2012, 10:18 1 1
And you know why? Because HTC doesn't have the marketing department of Samsung and Apple, HTC can't do proper marketing because they can't afford it, i own a One X (I had to choose between it and the GS3) and i absolutely love it, it can compete and beat the GS3, just do a research about the One X's screen, Engadget said it was the best screen out there, not to mention camera features and speed, Tegra exclusive games and so on. Don't talk about stuff you don't know, you are talking about something you don't even know about or own, so stop hating.
7. TylerGrunter posted on 07 Dec 2012, 04:48 4 0
Tegra is by no means inferious to the other SoCs. The Tegra 3 was out in Decemeber 2011, 4 months before any other chip was able to compete with them.
The quad core kraits may be beter, but they were in the market 10 months later, so it's normal.
Nvidia is trying to be the first on the market, not compete in price. That's the reason why their Socs are weaker on the long run, but that's their strategy: be first, have some good sales at high price, then reduce price when something better comes in.
The issue with your reasoning is that you are comparing their SoCs with others that came to market nearly a year later.
8. Piyush91 posted on 07 Dec 2012, 04:48 2 1
it just says Tegra 3 is taking the heat from Snapdragon S4, not that its a failure. most quadcore devices rock a tegra 3 chipset, and even if S4 Pro is knocking it out...the 'Wayne' series is just round the corner...that'll even things out.
17. zazori08 posted on 07 Dec 2012, 08:27 0 0
yes that. but when the wayne series come out qualcomm will just have to release a more powerful SoC. See the picture? it's like H1 for Nvidia and H2 for Qualcomm
10. RaKithAPeiRiZ posted on 07 Dec 2012, 05:20 2 0
well the Tegra 3 reign is over now anyway ,its time for tegra 4 to show the s4 the door
15. desniper9 posted on 07 Dec 2012, 05:48 1 0
And for the exynos 5440 to to kick it in the teeth. If samsung are doing the same thing like this year though expect the delay of samsung's flagship to shorten for htc ditching them for parts
16. jove39 posted on 07 Dec 2012, 07:47 0 0
Tegra3 is old chip...S4 pro sports latest krait cores...what do you expect?
20. CanYouSeeTheLight posted on 07 Dec 2012, 11:45 0 0
Really PhoneArena? Comparing an year old chipset with a months old chipset..
21. imkyle posted on 07 Dec 2012, 14:47 0 0
My Asus Infinity gets fantastic battery w/o the dock. I'm happy with the Tegra 3.
22. MC1123 posted on 07 Dec 2012, 19:09 0 0
i, for once, been looking forward for the quad core mediatek chip!
but still rooting for nvidia and qualcomm!
nvidia needs a SoC that will match the snapdragon!
23. TakashiSasaki posted on 13 Feb 2013, 02:22 0 0
Tegra is good for tablets I agree.
I have ASUS Transformer TF101, TF201 and the other tablets with nVidia chip.
For mobile phones, Tegra is terrible.
That is .. All Android phones by Fujitsu are terrible.
I'm going to switch back to HTC or Samsung.