Nokia's research arm working on Superhydrophobic coating for its handsets
0. phoneArena 06 Mar 2012, 18:46 posted on
Insired by the nano-technology found in lotus leaves, Nokia Research has developed a special coating that stands up to the wear and tear of everyday use including the ability to trap water before it reaches the phone's surface...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. cepcamba (Posts: 717; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Wow... a self repairing device.. Imagine leaving it in your drawer because you don't want to bring it due to some scratches made by your spoiled kid, then the next day you pull it out and find it scratch free.
3. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
that im pretty sure is already existent… at least on cars it is… but the problem is most phones arent coated with paint…
but this is definitely cool.. im really glad nokia is turning around
6. cepcamba (Posts: 717; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
I think I've read something about an iPhone case made by Nissan sometime before..
Wait lemme research it.
Yup definitely existing. You can Google it, there are a lot of info on it. Here's one to save trouble:http://techcrunch.com/2012/01/
Anyway, this tech rocks!
8. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
ya i thinking it was on infinity cars-- i heard about it a few years ago… Thanks! also just sayin but broken link
i wish they could make self healing glass… now that would be one crazy invention
16. cepcamba (Posts: 717; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Self healing glass!? Over the roof dude! Not only useful in cellphones but also in a lot of other things.. reading glasses, binoculars, camera lenses, etc.
It's not a perfected technology yet. But surely it can self-repair "fine" scratches. It's a different story if you want it to recover from deep scratch, like caused by a blade.
10. karanstyle (Posts: 188; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Who wants to invest heavy amount to a case and make phone even bulkier when a phone can do the same without a case and infact doesnt even need a case. Isnt it brilliant ? - Lite, better, scratch proof, no more spending and living up to the phone's cool looks with Rough usage is just Amazing!
14. shadez10 (Posts: 408; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
the Nissan iphone self healing case is a fail... xD
2. coy2013 (Posts: 10; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
that was actually pretty freakin awesome
Would this also make it smudge proof cause you know how water leaves a streak when you wipe it off your phone?...... yeaaaaaa be pretty cool if it was...
4. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
i think the smudges are oil based… and im almost positive something cant be oil resistant and water resistant… unless it is the shape that repels the liquid not the chemical properties
5. -box- (Posts: 3959; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Oh Nokia, we never know what you'll come up with next.
I love it.
Keep it coming!
This is /true/ innovation
7. steelicon (Posts: 315; Member since: 02 Apr 2011)
Please have it on the Nokia 808 PureView so we can take underwater pictures with the excellent 41MP sensor and all!
* wishful thinking *
9. steelicon (Posts: 315; Member since: 02 Apr 2011)
They should also manufacture underwater enclosures as accessories for the phones.
15. shadez10 (Posts: 408; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
Now I want this nano coating on my roof... =D