Nokia’s deceptive advertising scandal brings comparisons with... Apple ads
0. phoneArena 11 Sep 2012, 07:31 posted on
Nokia might not be the only company that - willfully or not - has deceived customers with its ads. After it was uncovered that the Nokia Lumia 920 promotional video…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2278; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
Lol siri is a joke... google now is the best
14. MeoCao (unregistered)
Looks like WP users are much more intelligent than iPhone users, LOL
19. wendygarett (unregistered)
But i'm intellegence too :D
36. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
well that obvious WP useres are more intellegent but its good u mentioned :D
2. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
Why is there a question mark? Apple's ads were deceptive. More so, because they didn't have the guts to admit they were far off from reality. Nokia at least ad the ba**s to admit they were wrong. Where's my apology Apple? Oh wait, I'm looking at it wrong, ain't I? All the more reason to switch to a Android or WP8 or Jolla or BB10 when they are available.
39. downphoenix (Posts: 3165; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
This is true, but Apple doesnt need to apologize, because they did put out the disclaimer. Nokia didn't. If people were fooled by Apple's ads, it was due to their low intelligence and lack of reading comprehension moreso than Apple legitimately making a lie.
41. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1178; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
desclaimer in extremely small writing so if your watching on your phone you can't see it
3. wendygarett (unregistered)
At least nokia is honest and appologies to the customer but Apple? NOO~~
16. MeoCao (unregistered)
Have you heard about Apple's "Never Apologize" policy?
46. bayusuputra (Posts: 963; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
yeah, stated in their "Genius" SOP.. Never apologize, make as if the customers do not know anything..
furk you, apple..
4. phljcnth (Posts: 485; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Unfortunately, Nokia doesn't know how to play around like Apple does. I still hope Nokia will make a big comeback though.
37. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
lol i found out at Verge that nokia camera fake photos were marketting teams fault but the hardware they actually tested to verfiy was not exatly the one they showed but it was better then any other Smartphone and it was still in development they said the hardware deserved better marketting not this fake reporting
8. -box- (Posts: 3991; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
It's not just the siri ads; all apple ads showing their products doing something have the same disclaimers: "Sequences shortened. Screen images simulated." My favorite example of this, other than he siri ones, were those for the retina-display iphone4. High-resolution, sure, but still really small and on a junk phone.
Not only that, apple gets away with advertising proprietary features (facetime, retina display, siri, isight, etc) because they use their branded names, which deceives normal shoppers into thinking only those capabilities come with an iDevice, and that apple playing catch-up is innovative and magical. Good marketing, but poor brand image to those who realize it.
13. -box- (Posts: 3991; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
It's roughly the same thing as Sony saying "Only in a Sony Xperia do you get a mobile Bravia engine", or Nokia saying "Only in a Nokia do you get PureView camera technology", or Samsung saying "Only in a Samsung do you get S-fillintheblank". It's good for pushing branding and introducing features, but it's deceptive by ommission
17. -box- (Posts: 3991; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
At least the other OEMs can say they came up with their unique features (PureView, Bravia engine, etc), whereas the only thing apple can lay claim to is the phone design and the failures due to it (frequently cracked and chipped screens, reception problems), as the retina display is an LG innovation, their graphics and processing chips are Samsung, the iSight camera is a Sony Xmor, siri was DARPA and Nuance...
23. IamYourFather6657 (Posts: 321; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
sure , iphone 4 is a great phone , but it isnt junk . Its now a popular mid range device
28. Fuego84 (Posts: 346; Member since: 13 May 2012)
Okay a mid range device does perfectly describe the iPhone 4s but where is the mid range price?
32. IamYourFather6657 (Posts: 321; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
i dont mean the 4S i mean the 4 .
I agree that 4S is overpriced crap with gimmicks like Siri
For the price , 4 is a good mid range device
34. -box- (Posts: 3991; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Except for the reception issues, yeah. It's a good ipod touch, not a good phone
10. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2278; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
The other fake footage, is with facetime,,, that crap laggs,, yet it shows it in full "hd" like quality, ,,, not even on wifi , does it looks like that....
11. whysoserious (Posts: 318; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
That's why I think Samsung commercial ads are better than these two. They don't exaggerate about the features, tries to keep it simple and puts a little humor on top of it.
22. IamYourFather6657 (Posts: 321; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
s voice sucks in real life compared with google now
33. tedkord (Posts: 11890; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
True. In fact, Siri sucks compared to Google Now.