Nokia's board requested to come to Finland for Wednesday meeting; is something big coming?
As if this special meeting Wednesday needed to be hyped in any way, it appears that Microsoft's Joe Belfiore, whose title is corporate vice president and manager for Windows Phone Program Management, is on vacation in Finland at this very moment. And guess where he is scheduled to go this week? That's right, he has a scheduled appointment to visit Nokia. In a tweet, the executive said, "I'm actually on vacation... that's why so quiet lately... but stopping in to visit Nokia this week…I won't be at build next week... am "stuck" in Europe." He also tweeted a photo of Kevin Shields, SVP of program and product management for Nokia smart devices, in Epoo, Finland.
While this could be nothing, well, it certainly could be something too. Microsoft pays Nokia a huge chunk of change to promote Windows Phone and let's face it, Nokia has become the face of the platform. Is this like Google buying Motorola? Not exactly because as soon as the HTC Nexus One appeared, Motorola was no longer the face of Android. This would be closer to Google buying Samsung, although that also is not a precise comparison.
And this could all be just a harmless meeting of Nokia's board. Except that it does not appear to be a regularly scheduled get together. This coming week could be very, very interesting indeed.
source: @joebelfiore, YLE (translated), NokiaGadgets via WPCentral
1. alterecho (Posts: 1091; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
No mergers please. Especially with Microsoft.
14. PhansMuneeb (Posts: 354; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
To me it looks like Nokia has some major announcements in the coming weeks about either layoffs or selling of Nokia Siemens Network.
It can also be firing of Elop which will please many of us.
I hope it to be later.
60. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
I think selling siemens would be a wrong decision. It's one of nokia's few earning subsidiaries.
122. Just_a_boy (Posts: 183; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Microsoft should be faster with the OS development, add Full HD Screens is essential to keep fighting against Android and iOS, Microsoft should be more tough with some partners like Facebook to make a full FB experience on WP and make a Instagram app (I don't really need it, but the majority need). IMHO Elop is doing a fantastic job with Windows Phone and Lumia line up, but kill MeeGo was the worse mistake Elop and Nokia Investors ever made, a MeeGo line up could perfectly stand together with Windows Phones, and Nokia could be more like in the past, more innovative because of their own OS, now is sad but only Android could be their hope.
144. 7thspaceman (Posts: 1149; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
yoo my friend the next big update called "Windows phone 8 blue"-- will bring 1080 HD Screen capability and other goodies Windows smart phones need to stay competitive with Android and Apple smart phones
25. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
My guess is that it has something to do with Nokia Semen Network. .
69. Kurai (unregistered)
OMG LOL . . . . i'm dying . . .
140. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
I did, on purpose, took some people long enough to reply or notice. I have the habit of editing my comments again and again to correct mistakes, no way i will leave 2 spelling errors in a single word 'i' and 's' missing from the word semen.
145. Dastrix (Posts: 620; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
HAHAHAHAHA, OMG this made my day! LOLOLOL, EX, you're the man!! :D
2. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3319; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Yeah. Nokia should keep doing this on it's own.
156. ZeroCide (Posts: 700; Member since: 09 Jan 2013)
Wish i could be a fly on the wall at that meeting.
3. SonyXperiaNexus (Posts: 374; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
microsoft surface tablet... made by nokia= awesome
20. lee480 (Posts: 178; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
They wouldn't call for a board meeting because of a tablet. Definitely more important agenda.
120. akki20892 (Posts: 3653; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
something Nokia Phablet quad core and 1080p, they wanna release early don't want to wait long. so i guess we will see phablet around 5" in Nokia World around September. exciting.
28. ihatesmartphone (unregistered)
You're so funny..xp
40. tusshharish (Posts: 342; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
it should be microsoft lumia tablet........
4. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5954; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Nokia is going to start an Android line of Lumia smartphones.
10. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Sadly, dreams don't come true, especially Lumia with Android.
24. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
Even if Nokia makes both wp and android i would still buy their wp variant of phones.
29. ihatesmartphone (unregistered)
And I will definitely buy their first ever Android smartphone :)
34. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
you do understand it wouldnt be there first ever android smartphone
147. Dastrix (Posts: 620; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
chaotic, are you serious man? Did Nokia actually make Android smartphones before?
153. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
idirectly yes, ofcourse they never did a nokia android of the shelves but vertu was owned by nokia and they did android. but mainly phones like the n9 could be flashed with android. i bet all on here crying about a nokia running android never once looked at the n9 at the time
mainly because they wouldnt be able to whine then
5. deburocks (Posts: 126; Member since: 20 Apr 2013)
no mergers nokia, act as an independent entity
6. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
If Nokia merge wit Microsoft its all over.......
125. jiezel91 (Posts: 66; Member since: 28 Jul 2011)
Yeah. It's the end of innovation for Nokia. Microsoft has never been particularly an "innovative" company. Microsoft is known to be a follower of the trend and "bully" its way to the top.
155. ZeroCide (Posts: 700; Member since: 09 Jan 2013)
Are you kidding. There have been tons of innovation from microsoft. alot has been poorly executed but there have been tons.
7. Loubielou (Posts: 259; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Nokia do not need Windows,but Mr Elop convinced the Nokia Board that he could get money into Nokia by dealing with is old employees-Microsoft,but Nokia/Microsoft is not a correct pairing,Nokia use to popular,but Microsoft not so popular,an Windows is not attracting people to invest in buying Nokia phones,Android is more like Symbian,an if Nokia would have given Android a Go,they would be back competiting again not Struggling now they are now,Hope Mr Elop loses is position at Nokia,as he made a lot of people leave Nokia an not stay Loyal to them,He as made Samsung more popular because of is bad Choice
74. -box- (Posts: 3878; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Elop's doing fine. Nokia still exists, has increasing sales worldwide, and he can only do as much as the board allows. Just like people hating on obama/bush/clinton/bush ad infinitum, the highest position in a democratically-elected position is usually that of a puppet, can only do what is provided by the group they represent and lead, and mostly there to sign things and make speeches and be the face of the company, and perhaps give direction. The only major elected leader who doesn't fit that that I can think of was jobs, mostly because he was an egotistical maniacal control-freak.
8. PhansMuneeb (Posts: 354; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
And when all was looking in Nokia's side, here comes the hurricane.
11. ronalgps0 (Posts: 8; Member since: 22 Jun 2013)
That tweet Joebelfiore
"@joebelfiore: BTW, newsmedia.. I come to Finland regularly to work w/Nokia on actually *building* great phones. HW/SW together in harmony. #normalcy"
12. waystriker (Posts: 8; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
No, this won't be happened especially with Microsoft
13. Bernoulli (Posts: 1600; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
The board is simply getting ready to fire Elop
15. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
If the board fires Elop, a new CEO steps in, what's his plan will be? Revive Symbian?
I hope so.
18. PhansMuneeb (Posts: 354; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
I think they will announce it in Nokia World.
19. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Oh, you mean the Nokia Lumia Tablet which I said just now? Yeah, I hope so.
99. Bernoulli (Posts: 1600; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
You never mentioned a tablet, retard, and no symbian has crossed over to the history books and eventually be forgotten, and if a new ceo steps in without a Microsoft background he will migrate Nokia to android
141. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Yes I did, I mentioned a Nokia Lumia Tablet before, you guys didn't see that because I edited the comment. Calling people retard eh? Okay, report time!
146. Bernoulli (Posts: 1600; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
Oh no I'm so scared! :( and no you did not mention a nota tablet, retard, how are we supposed to see something you edited?
149. papss (unregistered)
No reason to be a dik...
33. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
If the board fires Elop, a new CEO steps in, what's the new CEO's plan will be? Revive Symbian?
I hope so.
39. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3319; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I wouldn't hope for symbian, but for meego. I have the N9, and I love the OS. There's some bugs but that's because they didn't work on it long enough
63. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1042; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
i still have my N9 the new ceo should so combine forces with jolla
btw are you gonna install sailfish on your phone the only reason i'm staying with nokia is because i like their services but nokia can make sailfish phones !
64. ANANDALTER (Posts: 123; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
me too. But I think they are making the new asha platform more like meego, so no chance for meego to jump in.
16. nadarbsm (Posts: 24; Member since: 22 Feb 2013)
wish this meet will decide the future of M$ mole elop..
elop u r fired...
21. Antonyjoseph (Posts: 215; Member since: 06 Apr 2013)
Elop is a MS mole. If Nokia has to do better and be independent, they have to kick him out. Nokia doesn't need MS.
If Nokia merges with MS, the brand will be finished.
134. akki20892 (Posts: 3653; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
nokia need better ceo than elop. if someone was in 2011 or 2010 then he choosed android not wp.
22. dromon (Posts: 9; Member since: 21 Aug 2012)
I dont think it has anything to do with Microsoft, Siemens wants to sell their part of NSN and Nokia needs to decide if they want to sell their part as well or buy out Siemens.
23. Insignificant (Posts: 190; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
If I was a shareholder in Nokia, I'd have had Elop assassinated a long time ago. Anyone that has failed to realise by 6 months ago that all Elop was doing was to make Nokia buyable for Microsoft is blind.