Nokia's SEC filing reveals manufacturer's worry over possible Microsoft Surface phone
0. phoneArena 08 Mar 2013, 21:27 posted on
In a filing made with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Nokia explained its worry about a possible Surface phone that would be produced by Microsoft; in the SEC filing, Nokia said that such a phone could divert Microsoft's attention away from its partners to focus more on its own Microsoft Surface handset...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. avin007 (Posts: 139; Member since: 28 Feb 2013)
Samsung wants to follow tizen.....and redmond guys want to make their own phone.....coming months will be pretty amazing.......btw what was that device......ms ipad...lol
2. nikenturd (unregistered)
NOKIA'S own fault, they had the choice to go Android but they simply wagered on the losing side ...business is business, cant blame Microsoft
12. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Its not Nokia's fault, its Elop's fault.
16. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Except that Elop was hired in to be the CEO of... Nokia. So it is Nokia's fault after all.
18. Ruckus (Posts: 286; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
Do you guys forget Google purchased Motorola for these same intentions.. Don't be foolish. Microsoft is just trying to achieve what Apple and Google already have.
20. protozeloz (Posts: 5396; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I have yet to see that happening.... So far Motorola is not getting the soft treatment...
26. jroc74 (Posts: 6013; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
1. Nokia joined forces with MS before Google bought Motorola
2. We have yet to see any Google influence of Motorola. At the same time...Nokia and MS are practically married. With favoritism going towards Nokia from the beginning.
27. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
wht favorism is that besides the 250m$ per quater they not have let them get in the OS and they are charging them for wp patents too
46. papss (unregistered)
In all fairness we haven't seen much at all by moto..
53. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Google bought Motorola Mobility primarily for the patents, and it was a protective move designed to put them on equal footing with Apple and Microsoft. In my opinion, they had no intention of keeping the company intact, and they are now in the process of discarding the pieces they don't need...
Microsoft has a good partner in Nokia, which has a very strong patent portfolio of it's own. Microsoft won't make it's own smartphones, unless it buys Nokia outright. Besides, who would buy an inferior Microsoft WP8 smartphone? Nokia's reputation for producing quality devices is well deserved, and it's unlikely Microsoft will risk alienating it's own partner by attempting to market something that won't sell anyway.
Also, the jury is still out regarding the success or failure of WP8. Android fanboys will say WP8 is a total failure, but they are not interested in making honest and objective evaluations, and their opinions should be typically disregarded due to an obvious bias against Microsoft and it's allies.
If Microsoft did market it's own "Surface Phone", then Nokia would likely jump ship to Android, and possibly market both types of devices. However, such a move would see WP8 quickly lose steam, and then fade away. Microsoft needs Nokia in order for WP8 to succeed, and will not risk ruining the business relationship.
54. papss (unregistered)
Very well said
42. RomeoJDR (Posts: 244; Member since: 09 Dec 2011)
Google bought Moto strictly for patent protection. Motorola has what 2 maybe 3% of the market and is cutting back over a 1000 jobs.
35. Guest_star (Posts: 231; Member since: 30 Dec 2011)
yeah, go to android and be in a shadow of samsung...and try to beat them, this way nokia has no real competition and is top hardware manufacturer for OS, but I do think they should make android device as well as windows devices
51. jsdechavez (Posts: 731; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
Once Microsoft decides to make their own phones, Nokia should diversify. Android!!!!
3. nikenturd (unregistered)
If this phone will be Google Play compatible, it sounds exciting indeed.
17. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
And why on Earth would a MS Surface phone be Google Play compatible?
44. roscuthiii (Posts: 2224; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
My guess is he's thinking of Bluestacks. So, not really Google Play exactly, but capable of running Android apps.
4. tusshharish (Posts: 342; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
microsoft shoud support nokia more than making surface phone......................or nokia should make tablet to rival against surface tablets..........i think 2nd is better
5. akki20892 (Posts: 3901; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
100% dude agree....and i know johnnokia said nokia working on their own OS since 3 years......so interesting or nokia will go with android that will be great.
19. MrJerry (Posts: 403; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
Nokia tablet with its own OS?
Sorry it doesnt sound so promising...
28. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
no actually it will be wonderful since Nokia has always targeted what user likes to do i like wp but its also true MS dont completly listen to users but nokia has a long history of user friendly excpet going with MS most will say ofcourse if they make another OS this can turn to their own favor android is not best option maybe good enough but not for users at all
6. akki20892 (Posts: 3901; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Nokia you should go with your own linux OS & has a top apps Or go with Android will be hit of the year Phone, great phone with great os......!!! Elop mention that they will go with other os (ex: Android) interesting in future when nokia release android phone....!!!
36. volcano (Posts: 348; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
ya sure because google doesn't own Motorola and they don't have their own phones
8. avin007 (Posts: 139; Member since: 28 Feb 2013)
If microsoft launch their own phone nokia will be history(with symbian phones displayed at cultural museums of finland).....symbian is gone and now they may possibly lose love and care of windows.....microsoft got what they wanted....popularity and recognition in mobile arena via nokia. They can afford to show middle finger to nokia...good luck elop
29. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
well still WP is more sold only because of nokia others aint doing as good as them besides MS sufrace was cool but not as affortable to get it
9. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1237; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
Microsoft would be stupid to make their own phone. They should just have Nokia build whatever they want since they're only one step away from owning them anyways.
10. jroc74 (Posts: 6013; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Ok....so are they assuming MS would do their own hardware? Why assume MS would just alienate the OEM(s)?
If I'm not mistaken....Surface tablets are made by OEMs, right?
11. bojan (Posts: 188; Member since: 06 Oct 2012)
Nokia you need to go Andriod or you will be ditched soon by Microsoft and it would be too late for you to join Andriod
14. MC1123 (Posts: 1255; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
no android!! there's a ton of open software out there! they could use sailfish and also firefox (since they support it with thier here maps)
you should realize that not all people like android and its not the only choice!! they can still go their own way, if they develop their own home grown OS, symbian and meego