Nokia's Android-based Normandy to be called Nokia X?
0. phoneArena 23 Jan 2014, 18:31 posted on
The latest rumor about the unannounced Nokia Normandy seems to bring us a final name for it. The handset could be announced in late March - if it will be announced at all...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. cdgoin (Posts: 409; Member since: 28 Jul 2010)
Willing to bet is a Series40 headset and not Android.. Just like the current Ashas.
8. kaikuheadhunterz (Posts: 1108; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)
Me too. Could be partially based on Symbian
13. SandraB (banned) (Posts: 75; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
WP is really hard to sell unforntly
just realeese this android nokia and you are back.
17. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 749; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
May Symbian UI & launcher..and Android underneath... LOL
26. akki20892 (Posts: 3798; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Nokia X8 my guess. the hit number 8 like N8
9. corporateJP (Posts: 2429; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
You guys must have missed the article on the recent network test data that shows a Nokia device with an Android kernal?
I'm tired of posting the link, go to the site search and figure it out...
12. corporateJP (Posts: 2429; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
15. SandraB (banned) (Posts: 75; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
Nokia Microsoft will now avoid paying licenses for Android. Then microsoft take out licenses for this Linux variant.
Really wonder if China and India, with nice big manufacturers like Huawee and Micromax will allow the deal between Microsoft and Nokia.
Will India and China regerinar really allow the store when the risk to knock out their entire phone industry?
It's not fair if microsoft nokia avoid paying licenses
25. ImperialDynamics (Posts: 17; Member since: 30 Nov 2012)
that screenshot did NOT come from reliable EvLeaks though
22. Snoobab (Posts: 175; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
The screen caps all look like the Nokia Asha software platform 1.1
I really don't know how the whole Android rumour started...
24. ImperialDynamics (Posts: 17; Member since: 30 Nov 2012)
exactly. EvLeaks NEVER mentioned the words android or forked
30. andonia2 (Posts: 33; Member since: 26 Jul 2013)
Yes,,, but a few weeks ago a nokia android phone running 4.4 kitkat was spotted at the FCC.
2. domfonusr (Posts: 384; Member since: 17 Jan 2014)
Nah... I'll bet they are looking for a replacement for their Java-based Series 40 OS, and that a forked Android is underneath the Normandy, just like has been speculated in a number of places. It will have a Metro UI standby screen, but will preserve a number of UI features from Series 40, but it will be a forked Android underneath it all. When Microsoft takes over, I'm not entirely sure it will continue the Asha series, but as long as this releases before Microsoft takes over, I'll bet it sees the light of day.
14. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
I still don't buy it... I just don't see Normandy happening... Hurry up MWC so we can see what the fuss is about..
3. Mube007 (Posts: 192; Member since: 24 Sep 2013)
i bet There will be ntng spl in this phone except nokia tag
4. jedpatrickdatu (Posts: 163; Member since: 24 Jan 2013)
I was hoping Nokia wouldn't use the "X" or "XL" or "S" or "Z" naming scheme because it's overdone and it's getting cheesy and tacky. Hopefully "X" means something about the phone if this rumor is true.
5. Tommy1960i (Posts: 108; Member since: 11 Oct 2013)
This is actually good news when you see something good attracting attention. I really hope that Nokia is going to use android. Just imagine a powerful android Nokia smartphone with a 41 mp camera!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7. hurrycanger (Posts: 1518; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
I think you will need to wait a very long time...
16. SandraB (banned) (Posts: 75; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
nokia must quickly out with an Android phone
Nokia WP have a hard time selling and backs on the world market
6. kindlefireowner (Posts: 493; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Fandroids getting punked by Nokia. I love it. Like Microsoft is going to support a android phone. That's like paying child support for your ex-wife, new boyfriends kid's.
11. corporateJP (Posts: 2429; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
Hopefully it makes it before the deal is finalized.
28. Bilpocalypse (Posts: 301; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
It is actually quite the possibility when you consider all the $ MS makes off of the current android handsets.
18. GJanee (Posts: 214; Member since: 29 Jun 2011)
how many fake leaks need to be brought down on techsites in order for both the writers and the users to realize that this is not going to happen? ever. this butthurt droid crying is getting ever more annoying...
19. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 749; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
I would love to have a WP UI with Android underneath....
21. tasior (Posts: 263; Member since: 04 Nov 2012)
It doesn't make sense to me. If they replace Asha with Android it will steal market from low-end windows phone nokias. Right now, WP counts only in mid-low-end market, so they don't need to add competition there. Only two logical explanations comes to my mind.
1. Project Normandy was plan B for Nokia, before it was bought by Microsoft. Now team responsible for the project tries to squeeze the product into the market, before the transition to microsoft is done.
2. Microsoft sees no future for Asha, but WP is too demanding to be put to the lowest-end market, so it tries to put skinned version of android instead.
In first case, we can expect no support from the system.
In second case, we can expect that microsoft will make sure, that Normandy won't steal market from WP. That means, the handset will be absolutely low-low-end.
27. sonisoe (Posts: 387; Member since: 06 May 2009)
say what you will about samsung, lg, sony, htc whatever skin.... in truth, thats how stock android should be done...not talking about the added features these oems slap on the handset, but the ui.... ios, wp (while it gets boring after a while, it does look elegant), ubuntu, jola - all have great looking/beautiful visual interfaces... people incl.techies prefering stock android to the oems skins are stupid enough to be led to believe that stock android is most optimized in performance.... the whole thing is a cover-up of the fact that inherently android is laggy/unstable, etc, especially on low/mid range devices.... having said that tho, i use an htc one because it's beautiful and unfortunately android has some apps that other stores dont...otherwise, i'll switch over in a heartbeat...