Nokia to invest in Lytro-like camera technology for future phones
0. phoneArena 30 Apr 2013, 08:51 posted on
Nokia is planning on making an investment in U.S. Pelican Imaging, a California startup developing Lytro-like camera technology for smartphones and other mobile devices…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
19. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
It's not really nice, it's reeeeaaallllyyy niceeee!! :P
16. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
Works the same way like how those cameras mounted on Satellites function. Fantastic.
52. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Too bad it will be plagued with the cancer that windows 8 is. If Nokia made android phones they would be a lot more popular.
56. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
dont you get bored been pathetic? go back to android land
seriously ive noticed these android fans and trolls claim to be secure in there choice of android yet every none android article they swarm on to slate other choices...your nervous people have there own mind and wont just follow you lot
more os's benefit the customer, android is in no way perfect or the best for everything and everyone, no such os exists which is why we need choice
2. Malki (Posts: 68; Member since: 20 Feb 2013)
Focus after taking the picture is very nice feature :D Nice one nokia :)
40. Malki (Posts: 68; Member since: 20 Feb 2013)
And I hope that some android phones will have cameras like this :)
3. windroid (unregistered)
4. tiara6918 (Posts: 2034; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
That is an impressive investment Nokia made there. This way your memory will not be wasted. I can't count how many times I've lost the chance to capture the image I wanted because the focus on the camera was on something else(I can't always remember to tap the screen to focus on the image)
8. XperiaPrince (Posts: 108; Member since: 25 Dec 2012)
wow awesome camera tech!! Nokia's mobile tech is top notch! Great job nokia! THE KING IS BACK!!
53. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Nokia is pulling a Duke Nukem Forever if the King is back. They will never become popular again until they ditch windows. The Lumia 920 is a nice phone, the only reason I would never get one is Windows.
10. lubba (Posts: 1313; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
@juandante... I'm guessing you'll never in your lifetime ever have yourself an awesome Nokia phone with your attitude.
12. juandante (Posts: 463; Member since: 23 Apr 2013)
I have one of previous best Nokia camera phone. You don't want to admit W8 is pure joke.
17. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
how is it a joke, seriously time for you to more on
symbian was a great os but couldnt move fast enough with the shift to touchscreen.
you really need to stop blaming the CEO
24. Chiddu (Posts: 22; Member since: 02 Jul 2012)
It is not nokia chose windows phone, it is ms which chose nokia. Reason: Why MS is paying Nokia?
Look at Symbian Belle on 808 n say.
25. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
''Look at Symbian Belle on 808 n say.''
i have no idea what your trying to say,
30. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
lmao you absolute dumbass, you do know the phone i use is the 808 running guess what belle fp2 so i know how good belle is
31. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
symbian belle is very good but cant compete enough against android and ios.
thats why they cooperated with microsoft. they tried to improve and optimize symbian but it can only reach upto belle fp2.
its a hard transition but it is what it is.
35. Chiddu (Posts: 22; Member since: 02 Jul 2012)
Then why they were making huge changes to Lumia phones software.
13. protozeloz (Posts: 5396; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I wonder why the other never touched that technology, I really wanted to see this tech but years passed and no one testee it out...
18. tashreef (Posts: 476; Member since: 24 Nov 2012)
don't worry ... samsung will be there in some time ... they may not be good at inventing things... but definitely at Copying ..... hhahahha ....
So which Nokia monster will be the "ONE" to get it first...?
27. protozeloz (Posts: 5396; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I'm sorry, your joke lacked depth lots of it I'm talking about camera tech, also using better camera is also considered copying? I mean if you gonna hate at them at least have a good basis
33. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
its a good basis of copying if samsung will copy this "camera feature" on newer products.
just like how nfc in s3 and wireless charging on s4 is copied but not a stolen idea. and those features came relevant because of nokia featuring it first before them.
37. protozeloz (Posts: 5396; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Eh? Are you feeling OK? Sorry to disagree but NFC came our first on the Nexus S witch is also a Samsung device, the galaxy S2 didn't have Because it was too late for it to have it, so with Google pushing Google wallet it was obvious the S3 would have NFC because it was the way things where going, also if not mistaken LG was adding wireless charging on its devices before Nokia (also please explain the bunch of wireless charging accessories we could buy before the Lumina came... So what you say again is baseless, how could Samsung consider copying a product that's not even product that leads any of the Galaxy line to begin with
Improving camera tech, making pictures better is not a feature is simply progress
41. JaseelEbrahim (Posts: 31; Member since: 24 Jul 2012)
Btw Nokia 6131 was the first NFC phone and not nexus s
46. protozeloz (Posts: 5396; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Oh please.... So this feature phone
Compares with the nexus? Seriously?
58. tashreef (Posts: 476; Member since: 24 Nov 2012)
check your facts before stating them .....
Nokia was the one to introduce NFC on their device...
2006 : Nokia 6131 was the first NFC phone
2010 Samsung Nexus S: First Android NFC phone shown
seriously i don't hate any manufacturers ...even though i am NOkiaFAN......
59. protozeloz (Posts: 5396; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
What could this NFC phone do back then pal?
Pay for your food at the supermarket?
Check in at places?
Send money to friends?
You said you where a Nokia fan but you don't give other companies credit where credit is due...
42. muhsen (Posts: 280; Member since: 07 Jun 2012)
it seems ur info is pretty messed up. the nokia c7 which has nfc was launched b4 nexus(month b4 it)
there were no lg phones having wireless charging b4 lumia (i don't know about lg wireless accessories ) and that's a true fact simply because the first lg phone having wireless charging is nexus 4 which was launched two months after the lumia 920 and 820 .
so it seems u r out of touch abit .
20. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Nokia: "Daddy's back SUCKERS!"
21. Bilpocalypse (Posts: 301; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
I wonder if they have enough time to integrate it into EOS. 41mp with lossless zoom, xenon flash, OIS, and this tech would be unreal.
38. lubba (Posts: 1313; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
@juandante.. Because wp8 is joke to you is why you'll never own yourself the next awesome Lumia phone, the eos. Sad on your part, smiles on mine.
39. juandante (Posts: 463; Member since: 23 Apr 2013)
What do you know about next Lumia phone ? YOu said the same for the current Lumia Pureview phone -_-"
43. a_merryman (Posts: 749; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
I can't wait, I hope other phone manufacturers bring lytro technology to their phones. I think it would vastly improve the picture taking experience on phones. That and I should be able to set my of damn exposure time...
45. serge327 (Posts: 72; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
not really nice, i simple do this with Photo Edit apps in smartphone today....
49. lubba (Posts: 1313; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
@juandante... I may not know nor anyone else does but for sure its the next Lumia Flagship phone.
51. Avenger337 (Posts: 81; Member since: 14 Apr 2013)
Honor to whom honor is due and Nokia always a benchmark for smartphones with camera. Today, tomorrow and forever his legacy is historic.
54. Dunknown (Posts: 84; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
I am not regret to become Nokia loyal customers. I will keep support Nokia till the day I am gone.
57. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
So Nokia can make even better Camera phone than 808? Oh God!
60. mydi.maus (unregistered)
this is so awesome...go nokia