Nokia talks shop on the Lumia 820, more intricate details emerge
0. phoneArena 28 Sep 2012, 08:46 posted on
The Finns invited tech bloggers to a Q&A session about the Lumia 820, which was manned by Tuukka Jarvenpaa, Senior product Manager at Nokia and Camilla Lindman, also Senior Project Manager...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. PhansMuneeb (Posts: 337; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
Just one Android with s4 and 1 gb ram....that's it u r back again..plzzzzz
11. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1059; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
Android is the best but hey WP8 also needs to be inn the market and somebody's gotta make them. Besides a range of options are great like having one android and one windows phone! anything is better than iCrap!
2. shadez10 (Posts: 386; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
the only thing I dont like about the Lumia 820 is that the screen reso is not HD... but over all great phone... almost same as the lumia 920... =D
3. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
Midrange, besides it's difficult to make a HD non-Pen-Tile display on AMOLED tech. Not to mention, it's expensive and will push the cost further.
29. chrischau1308 (Posts: 53; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
When did a phone around 600$ considered mid-range?
I'm criticizing anything you said
But it seems like it's hard to buy a good mid-range Windows Phone 8.
And all those with price do fit my pocket, always missing the front camera
36. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
Ever since people began considering iPhone 5 high-end.
12. cool8man (Posts: 3; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
At least the screen is AMOLED (non-pentile) which means the colors are going to pop and be as good looking as the Lumia 900.
CNET just did a feature that listed the Lumia 900 screen as one of the top 5 best smartphone screens.
Resolution isn't everything.
13. AppleConspiracy (Posts: 627; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Resolution isn't everything but pixel density is. RGB (non-pentile) AMOLED on Lumia 900 and SGS2 is great but it's pixel density fails to deliver the sharpness of today's standards.
HD PenTile screens are not much better though, because lower-PPI RGB screen is almost on par with high-PPI PenTile.
For now, manufacturers don't have much of choice in AMOLED world. They sacrifice much on any option they choose.
15. shadez10 (Posts: 386; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
i have comapared the screen of my GS2 to my brothers Galaxy Nexus... and i really agree on you about HD pentile screens are not much better... even though its high reso and PPI comapred to mine it displays jagged diagonal lines compared to my lower PPI RGB which displays good on diagonals...
5. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2964; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
WVGA is fine for me as long as the PPI and sunlight readability is not distorted.
7. Mobile-X-Pert (Posts: 565; Member since: 20 Dec 2010)
That's the same screen as the Lumia 900 and, it's being said that the L900 has a better screen than the GS2.
8. shadez10 (Posts: 386; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
really true... i own GS2 and i compared my screen on the Lumia 900 on a nokia center and it really is better on the L900...
10. AppleConspiracy (Posts: 627; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Lumia 900 and SGS2 most probably utilize the same screen (Samsung's 800x480 full-RGB AMOLED), however Nokia uses their own ClearBlack filtering technology.
It's also most probably the same screen on Lumia 820.
9. 7thspaceman (Posts: 902; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
I am interested in the Verizon Version which is said to be called the Lumia 822. it is said to look almost like the Lumia 820. Folks it may have more features than the 820 because it's number is higher than the Nokia Lumia 820. so far Verizon has not officially stated what Nokia Lumia models it will have on sale. an alleged Verizon memo showed that the Nokia Lumia 822 was among some smart phones Verizon has set to be released. Verizon customers like myself may want to Preorder our Nokia smart phones to beat any rush. it is a shame the 820 did not get gorilla glass and a Pure vue camera because it's case design looks better than a Nokia 920
14. rfb813 (Posts: 2; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
I am suprosed that the 820 has a removalbe battery and extra sd card storage while th 920 doesn't. I think this is a major flaw in the 920.
16. Antwnhs (Posts: 7; Member since: 29 May 2012)
I'm getting really interested in this phone, but still thinking...
Will I be able to live withouth Android customization? :/
19. sbr999 (Posts: 79; Member since: 05 Jun 2012)
Sure you will. What do you customize except the wallpaper? Just curious.
22. Antwnhs (Posts: 7; Member since: 29 May 2012)
It's just that I'm used to Android...I flash roms almost every month! I change the launcher and the icons quite often and I love how easy I transfer files through my pc to my phone!
I don't know if I can make such a big move!
But I'll definately try WP8!
17. denied911 (banned) (Posts: 361; Member since: 31 May 2012)
1.They were able to have better battery life on the NL 820 despite a smaller battery due to the Snapdragon S4 engine... - BETTER THAN WHAT? SYMBIAN, IOS, ANDROID? WHAT NOKIA WHAT?
2. The NL 820 has a WVGA screen due to “much better readability for our consumers on the display size and due to the fact that the performance, mainly FPS, is something amazing in the new Lumia 820 OLED display with that specific resolution.” SO LUMIA920 HAS LESS FPS? BURN NOKIA, BURN!
3. NO GORILLA GLASS AND 820 pricing in Europe - €499
IS IT SOME KIND OF CRUEL JOKE?
18. shadez10 (Posts: 386; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
yea no gorilla glass coz it has CROCODILE GLASS... xD
20. denied911 (banned) (Posts: 361; Member since: 31 May 2012)
seriously? R U so dumb nokia fanboy?
if I pay 500 euro I want tough glass, I bought sgs3 for this price and it has GG2 20% lighter
go buy this nokia, you deserve each other
yours nokia new slogan: "pay more for less"
21. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
mate go rage somewhere else android fanboy
no one cares about a fanboys temper tantrum rant.
dont like the phone well go away no ones forcing you to buy it or read about it
23. denied911 (banned) (Posts: 361; Member since: 31 May 2012)
don't call me android fanboy, I use nokia too, as second phone. If somebody is fanboy it's you, blind for specs and not objective, I love sensitive touch and camera of 920 for example, but this model lacks some things
24. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
it lacks some things because its a mid range phone the 920 been the flagship. how am i blind on specs this is and i repeat a MIDRANGE phone.
and how am i a fanboy? have i slated any other phone? no i havent i just called you on your rant and crap towards another person on here
well done you use nokia too doesn't change anything
25. denied911 (banned) (Posts: 361; Member since: 31 May 2012)
whatever MIDRANGE FOR 499 EURO !!!
26. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
think one of your keys is stuck, should get it fixed.
god you rage on dont you, is anyone forcing you to buy it? no didnt think so , move on
27. denied911 (banned) (Posts: 361; Member since: 31 May 2012)
you repeat yourself
28. Glim12808 (Posts: 391; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
So do you. AND I'll repeat, don't buy it if you believe it's below par for the price. Now move on.
31. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
Scratch-resistant glass, S4 processor, sensitive touch screen, a gig of RAM, wireless charging compatibility, CBD, yada yada, and 499 euros off-contract is a problem for you? Wait till it appears on contract then.
32. shadez10 (Posts: 386; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
so your GS3 has GG2?.. try dropping it and lets see what happends... =D
33. denied911 (banned) (Posts: 361; Member since: 31 May 2012)
I did, nothing happened :)
try not to make scratch for 2 years on "scratch resistant" glass and see what happens
34. shadez10 (Posts: 386; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
well no problem... ill just have to buy screen protectors...
35. denied911 (banned) (Posts: 361; Member since: 31 May 2012)
and that's my point, glad we agree
even L710 have Gglass
and this is lower range
anyway, let's end this disqus ;)
37. EspHack (Posts: 70; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
so... the lumia 820 can have 64GB+ integrated(8GB?) while the top dog 920 is limited to 32gb.... thats not cool nokia if im buying the 920 i want THE BEST, cant accept mistakes like this one, you better add a 64GB version for lumia 920