Nokia squeezes tiny profit in third quarter
0. phoneArena 29 Oct 2013, 09:36 posted on
Nokia is selling a record amount of Lumia handsets, but it continues posting middling quarterly financial results…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
4. SAYED-EJAZ (Posts: 225; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
Realy that photo matching with title of this article..so cute cat ;)
23. akki20892 (Posts: 3901; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Want to see sales graph of nokia between 1997 to 2008. Just imagine what graph will looks like, I guess tallest graph you never seen before. All above 100 millions.
3. SAYED-EJAZ (Posts: 225; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
Number does not seem so good for them while sammy selling 1Million devices Per day.
11. sri_tech (Posts: 188; Member since: 21 May 2013)
If you thinking in terms of Nokia's future then the numbers does not matter because they are selling the devices division which is making losses every quarter.
But they are more profitable from other divisions.
5. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
Don't think anyone's interested in the article. The photo though.........Liked, +1'd and Followed!!!
18. Stuntman (Posts: 836; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)
I clicked on this article only because of the cat photo.
6. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Victor, are you asking if WP will continue to increase in sales, or are you asking if Nokia will survive and prosper? The answer to both questions is "YES", although it should be obvious that the main reason Nokia has been confined to low end prosperity (aka 520/521 sales) is because Microsoft dragged it's feet for providing support for Quadcore and 1080p displays. Nokia can survive with just NSN and HERE, plus their mighty patent porfolio, but 7 billion for D&S is starting to look mighty cheap. Perhaps it's time for a Microsoft competitor to make a different (and increased) counter offer?
10. Victor.H (Posts: 658; Member since: 27 May 2011)
The question is more about Nokia. I find it hard to imagine that someone else than Microsoft would be willing to undo what Elop did with Windows Phone and fully transition Nokia to Android. Many people would love that, though.
12. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
It's too late for Nokia to try it's hand at Android; I think they would have been more successful if they had adopted the OS early, but the time for doing that is long past.
However, Microsoft still needs to obtain Nokia's D&S in order for the WP platform to survive. Another bidder could wipe out WP OS in a single stroke, and avoid potential future competition, if they were willing to make a better offer to Nokia's disgruntled shareholders...
Tim Cook to the rescue? ;o)
7. londoner (Posts: 34; Member since: 12 Sep 2013)
Nokia have been doing very well. The problem is the wp platform that is not seducing enough new cosstumers.
8. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
That picture is fitting because cats are awesome. Nokia not so much.....
9. Santi_Santi (unregistered)
don't care 'bout Nokia, the kitty is so cute ♥
13. roldefol (Posts: 4242; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
"Devices and Services is the exact Nokia division Microsoft is planning to acquire early next year....if you take out the phone-making part of Nokia, the remainder of the company comprised of the Nokia HERE maps effort and the NSN network equipment provider is actually profitable."
So tell me again how this potential deal is different from Motorola divesting Mobility from the rest of the company, only to have it quickly snatched up by Google? Some Nokia fans here have gotten very defensive at the notion of MS "buying Nokia."
14. sergiobr (Posts: 707; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
Nokia is just selling cameraphones with WP, while the others ... perfect OS + cameraphones, thta´s the difference.
15. _PHug_ (Posts: 444; Member since: 11 Oct 2011)
Came here for the cat picture.
Gave thumbs up to everyone else who came here for the cat picture.
Zero interest in a camera with phone functionality in "please notice me" colors.
16. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Windows Phone Is Awesome❕ Lumia Devices Are Awesome❕.. End of story❗
17. dmsrfl (Posts: 45; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
I'm only here because of the photo.... LOVE IT
19. .TROLL (banned) (Posts: 14; Member since: 29 Oct 2013)
There are loads of Nokia fans all over the world, which they will migrate from Samsung to Nokia! Even I would love to own a Nokia Android device. Nokia it's still not late to migrate to Android™
Why not make 2 versions of the Lumia 920,925,928 for Android and Wp, and see which sells the most? Defiantly Android, cause Nokia Symbian was an Linux open source platform.
24. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Lol❕...You're in the dictionary..
You're a special person.
25. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Two years from now you'll still be saying "Nokia please❕ Nokia please❕❕❕ It's not too late❕❗❕❗ For the love of god make a Android phone❕❗❗❗❕❗❕""""
Meanwhile more, and more people will be enjoying Lumia devices...
20. Fade. (Posts: 10; Member since: 27 May 2013)
These sales numbers shure are small compared to what they used to sell. Back in the Day just single models like Nokia 3310sold way over 100 million units(numbers that even Samsung can only dream). But now they can't get to 100 million over all phone sales in 1 quarter.
21. sprockkets (Posts: 1611; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
That's because it wasn't a super pricey smartphone. Nokia still sells many millions of dumbphones, but as for you saying Samsung can only dream of doing that...
They are rumored to have sold 120 million this past quarter.
26. Eclectech (Posts: 217; Member since: 01 May 2013)
That cat is too cute ...dang what was this article about again?
27. steelicon (Posts: 317; Member since: 02 Apr 2011)
The truth is out there.