Nokia sold 4.4 million Lumia in Q4 2012, beats outlook and shares surge pre-market
0. phoneArena 10 Jan 2013, 07:53 posted on
Nokia exceeds previous Q4 2012 outlook for Devices & Services and Nokia Siemens Networks…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
37. Mobile-X-Pert (Posts: 565; Member since: 20 Dec 2010)
The difference is that the Lumia 920 became available on november.
8. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1118; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
atleast its much better than not selling anything
70. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Right the only reason Nokia sold all these phones were due to highend price mid range specs and selling those L920 at midrange tariff with no upfront fee.
88. papss (Posts: 2179; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
Dude if you didn't like WP you wouldn't be in here dogging it so much.. Go somewhere else and spew your garbage opinion
115. MeoCao (unregistered)
Since when articles stop welcoming critics? You are talking bullsh*t man. If you cant talk back just keep quiet, no1 blames you.
132. asseek (Posts: 164; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
"Since when articles stop welcoming critics?"
what Troll is doing is not being critical, he is trolling and bashing everything NOT Android, am strating to hate Android because of people like Troll
117. tashreef (Posts: 474; Member since: 24 Nov 2012)
looks like u have two id's in PA..so you always get a Thumbs up......
122. MeoCao (unregistered)
that's me who thumb him up
9. windroid (unregistered)
Good for Nokia, wish them the best. They returned to profitability and that is very important to finance the next generation of phones.
What defines if a phone is smart or not? To my thinking, Asha phones are smart phones as they have everything a smart phone has and do everything a smart phone does.
10. alterecho (Posts: 464; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
I'm assuming the other part of the 6.6 million were Symbian devices. Cool.
15. thunderbolt (Posts: 76; Member since: 10 Jan 2013)
Yes 2nd best selling device (from Nokia) in China was i guess N9
16. freebee269 (Posts: 435; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
Some Asha phones are considered smartphones. Even if they weren't they are still cell phones that cost money to make and market so should be included in their earnings report. Leave it to phonearena to be biased.
21. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Some job Nokia!!
Your entire Lumia line reached half of Galaxy Note 2' sales!
WP8 thank you
120. tashreef (Posts: 474; Member since: 24 Nov 2012)
U mean to say ...Nokia Lumia 920 has great demand because it has WP 8 in it.......So what about HTC 8X and Samsung Ativ S....?
The Main thing is Lumia 920 carries Nokia Logo on it....And it's a Piece of Art.......
And if Nokia Adopt Android Then samsung,HTC and other manufacturers will be out of Business...Forget about other Cheap droid makers....
and of course WP8 is a great OS in itself....
25. 7thspaceman (Posts: 718; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
this great news to hear I am a Nokia fan what they need now is a Lumia 900 with a 4.3 HD screen with dual core run by Windows Phone 8. because they relly only have one HD screen smart phones on the market and that is the Nokia lumia 920. they need another one a 4.3 incher or a 5 incher to fill their ranks. they also need a Nokia windows 8 tablet
out there. a Nokia Windows Rt tablet is not the best choice. Microsoft learned that the hard way. Gizmodo reports that the preliminary tests of a Microsoft Surface pro show that it is an Awesome Tablet that people will want to buy!
35. pookiewood (Posts: 356; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
I think they should go after the Tablet market as well. I for one, probably the only one, want a Windows RT tablet. I have my laptop for windows 8. I just want RT for web browsing and game playing.
26. lubba (Posts: 1309; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
@Meocow why is WP a poor OS? WP is new, refreshing, innovative, simplistic, secure, fluid, even with the least cores, nonconforming, unlike no other out there that are merely skins or copycats of IOS. First OS to make use of social integration. Live tiles that are beauty to look at. WP is an OS that you make it your own so that it doesn't look like someone else's WP or any other phone. You can compare Android to IOS but you can't compare WP to any. WP is different and it works. Thank goodness for MS and Nokia not conforming to the collective.
38. eisenbricher (Posts: 922; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Is permanent hater of WP, don't bother about him. WP rocks and it'll only get better.
81. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Count me into the TROLL.
More like stagnate.
27. Padmasali (Posts: 15; Member since: 31 Aug 2011)
Nokia sold 4.4 million Lumia in Q4 2012... But real truth is Lumia 920 and 820 only available from end of November in US and UK, mid December from other Countries... so this figure actually of 35-45 days... so it is interesting to see Q1 2013 sales of Lumia, cause Lumia 620 is still to come and Nokia speeding up Lumia production... so they can sell more Windows Phone in Q1 2013 compare to 2 years of Windows phone sales...
51. eisenbricher (Posts: 922; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Add china, India and many asian as well as European countries. + limited supply. Lumia deserves a LOT.
28. mad_iguana (Posts: 1; Member since: 20 Dec 2012)
Asha full-touch phones - not all Asha phones, just the full-touch ones - are classed as smart phones by Gartner & IDC, so that is why they are included in the smart phones number, which is where the 14million figure comes from.
But they are designed and created and accounted for with the other Asha phones, which is why they're in the Mobile Phones division.
No-one is being "unrealistic" here.
29. zuckerboy (Posts: 441; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
4.4 m LOL very good for nokia next time they sold 5m :D
55. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
as for a company which was about to sink it's a great result. hassshhhh kid
75. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
More like I believe 3.0m. This news is a lie.
36. pookiewood (Posts: 356; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
Great work Nokia! I'm loving my Lumia 920.
40. Pedro0x (Posts: 240; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
Yes Lumias sold 340% better than Q4 2011 but Nokia sold a lot less phones than Q4 2011. They sold 93 900 000 dumb phones Q4 2011 and 79 600 000 Q4 2012 and Nokia reduced price on dumb phones a lot so they earned 58.3% less on them, 2 500 000 000 EURO Q4 2012 and 5 997 000 000 EURO Q4 2012.
Now smartphones : Nokia sold 19 600 000 smartphones Q4 2011 and Q4 2012 only 6 600 000, which is 66,3 less. Nokia also earned 1 200 000 000 EURO Q4 2012 which is 56,3% less than last years Q4 : 2 747 000 000 EURO. So Nokia sells more Lumias but their earnings are even less than last years. And Nokia is also kind of cheating with Asha dumb phones.
44. windroid (unregistered)
Q4 2011: not profitable
Q4 2012: profitable
That's what matters to investors.
45. Samsomesh (Posts: 180; Member since: 11 Jun 2012)
Thats great and lumia 920 has just launched india... Will give nokia more customers... GOOD LUCK NOKIA.... Show them who is the king...
47. cornerofthemoon (Posts: 416; Member since: 20 Apr 2010)
I still prefer my WP8 Nokia over all my previous Androids. The green robot, although much improved is still too buggy and everytime they send an update to fix something, it almost always breaks something else. My 2 cents
48. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5173; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Would be nice if nokia listen to us the consumers & make a android/nokia phone then your sales will drive up your stocks.
65. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2346; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
they dont listen to whiny android fanboys sorry
just give credit where its due instead of crying about an android nokia
73. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
They never listen to anyone, unlike HTC and Samsung Sony which gives pride to there customers, o look whose talking OAP WP8 Apple police.
103. asseek (Posts: 164; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
lol why don't u ask HTC fans about how abandonned they feel from their company.
i don't know anything about Samsung and how they treat their customers, so i prefer to shut up, than to talk some crap like some here.
but please never say that Nokia doesn't listen or care for their customers, because u'll look silly that way (but u r anyway)
74. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
They would love to but MS has signed a deal with Nokia to not look elsewhere, Nokia are MS slaves.
76. thunderbolt (Posts: 76; Member since: 10 Jan 2013)
2013 could see a takeovewr BID .... of Nokia.
80. thunderbolt (Posts: 76; Member since: 10 Jan 2013)
"N" for Novell, "N" for Nokia and MS is common factor to both "N". It's all history repeating itself. Years back it was Novell now it is Nokia's turn ... sadly.
99. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
Nokia would of had this kind of sale long ago if it started with Android at the start of the Lumia line.
52. ckoch125 (Posts: 154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
hahaha even samsung with their "niche" galaxy note sold over double the amount of lumias....
59. btbotimtim (Posts: 121; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
please provide a huge dividends to your investors. hahaha
83. w-t-f (Posts: 42; Member since: 21 Aug 2012)
Lumia 920 and xperia Z for my taste are the best phones announced in last few months :) its gonna be a tough decision which one should I upgrade to when my contract expires :)
95. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
SONY Experia Z L920 is a midrange outdated phone.
105. asseek (Posts: 164; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
i advice you to try both, and have info on the two phones, especially for the OS, because its more like Android VS. WP8, so U make your own opinion, never listen to anyone, because every fanboy, will hail his beloved OS or phone.
85. lubba (Posts: 1309; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
I assume Troll is a former MS employee who got canned and has some huge grudge. His/ her ignorance is beyond compare.
90. papss (Posts: 2179; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
No he's mad because he bought into a terrible laggy OS Tat has to be refined every six months because its total garbage... It took google 6 try's to almost stop the stutter when swiping...
94. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Don't blame Google blame the CPU, cause Android is a heavy Ram hungry and need heavy power to run the OS. Look at Windows it takes up 600mb Ram just like Android. Full OS needs lots of CPU power that's why Android Lags.
98. papss (Posts: 2179; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
Blame it whatever you want bro.. Still took way to many tries for google to get it right.. Talk about crapping on your fanbase. IOS never lagged, even in 2007.. Was/is IOS simple and primitive? Sure but at that time android wasn't all that feature rich.. Just face it Android is the myspace of operating systems
119. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2952; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Wow, i'm really tired of reading your stupid, senseless, baseless and eat-your-own-crap comments and replies.
There's a good thing about Android, the hardware supporting it grows at a good rate and that is why we see an octa-cored processor releasing soon. The bad thing is, it'll never be enough for the latest Android. Resources keep adding up, the graphics keeps getting intensive, the UI gets more heavy (there's the light version too, but it will never be used in high end devices) and there's more. And those are the facts...supported by you, TROLL!!
Full OS, my butt! You're going to make me hate Android because of your stupid comments.
110. eisenbricher (Posts: 922; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
MS Employee? lol he's a kid who's dropped out of school and doesn't have anything else to do than bashing wp and keep 'rooting', 'customizing' his glorious android phones.
121. visualvidya (Posts: 3; Member since: 09 Jan 2013)
Hello Nokia , Please rediscover Symbian and leave Microsoft.
Trust your own OS .
124. sbw44 (Posts: 198; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
for f**k shakes how on earth can the Asha's not be a smartphone? what defines a phone a smartphone? if its multitasking then all the f**king Iphone's is not smartphone also those android phones at the start when andriod was still at v2.1
Get a grip phonearena! we know you like samsung and apple and hate nokia! why do you have you everytime say something negative on something positive about Nokia? GEEZ!
126. -RVM- (Posts: 329; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
So Nokia sold more phones than Samsung in Q4, and became the largest phone manufacturer again.
129. lubba (Posts: 1309; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
@sbw44 collective minds don't know anything else out of the box. If a threat is near their territory, there's bond to be war.
133. jameshoe (Posts: 122; Member since: 26 Nov 2012)
at least 2.2 million Nokia 808 have been sold?