Nokia sold 2.9 million Lumia Windows Phones in Q3 2012
0. phoneArena 18 Oct 2012, 05:08 posted on
Nokia sold 2.9 million Lumia Windows Phone devices in the third quarter of 2012, as sales of its Windows Phone-based smartphones declined from a 4 million high in Q2 2012…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
29. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
Low call rates yes, low text rates yes. But 3G data is not cheap. PS: Perhaps the worst carrier in India is the first to launch an LTE network and a LTE phone in India, I'm talking of Airtel.
33. shuaibhere (Posts: 1986; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Do you know what i get as a loyal customer?????
1.5 mbps download speed and 3gb of data and 30 validity for just 98 rs......
34. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
OMG, did you strike a deal with them? Apparently, I get s**tty coverage, s**tty consumer service and am overcharged every time. Do tell me how.
42. -box- (Posts: 3991; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
1.5 mbps? I can't even remember the last time I had ANY data that slow... Maybe around 2007 or 2008?
48. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
You do know our telecom industry and political condition is in tatters right?
50. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
Or maybe the price is under $2 for this speed and 3 gigs of data makes it a good deal. And to sheik, the sole reason why we Indians are paying for this terrible speeds and data caps is the carrier-government nexus.
72. eisenbricher (Posts: 973; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
How much have you paid for that dude? Well in the same country using 3G services from vodaphone I get 3.5Mbps approx. But I don't use it much. I rely on 2G service since it's pretty good enough for chats n news updates and all those online services which keep pinging. While I get to avail 4Mbps WiFi when I'm at home.
On the other hand, have you seen the call rates like 10hrs talktime free on a 4$ monthly plan? and additional cost @ INR 0.60/min? 1$ = INR53, and I enjoy the services of best carrier here. We Indians enjoy best call rates in the world.
38. askbingask (Posts: 22; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
u r saying airtel worst network so which one is the best im on airtel and its too good but call rate are high
40. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
I don't know which is the best but well MTNL/Docomo are cheap offer great coverage.
41. eisenbricher (Posts: 973; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
I know... Airtel is the worst. Used it in the past for 2 years then switched to Vodaphone. It's simply the best!!
44. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
Is it cheap though? I need a great 3G plan, where do you live, New Delhi?
58. eisenbricher (Posts: 973; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
In Mumbai... nah, cheapest 3G you can only get with Tata docomo. I heard that they are offering unlimited 3G + 250TT @ INR250 only. In my case I regularly subscribe 2G data pack of 2GB, monthly. Costs INR149. While for high speed usage I can use wifi when @ home :D
60. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
Checked it, the Docomo 3G is available only in Gujarat, Kashmir and some other places. Not in Mumbai.
56. pookiewood (Posts: 631; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
Sadly it's because the price it more than a tablet! The rumors are that the Lumia 920 may be $600-800 off contract. That's insane!
61. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
What's insane in this? Seriously, in many places people buy phones off-contract for sometimes more than that price.
70. -box- (Posts: 3991; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
@No_Nonsense: only T-Mobile and prepaid carriers offer cheaper service than contracted postpaid service, so getting a contract for a phone doesn't make much difference. Not only that, many employers offer discounts, which also incur a contract
79. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
So if I were from the US and not on AT&T, buying a 920 and using it on some prepaid carrier would have made it cheaper than on contract? So why don't people use prepaid service?
7. SIGPRO (Posts: 1474; Member since: 03 Oct 2012)
I hope Nokia will never choose Android, there is no benefit there. It is the same over and over again, every phone looks the same os wise. WP is refreshing and i think WP8 will do good things for Nokia!
17. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
WP 8 looks EXACTLY the same on the surface as WP 7!
Saying that android is generic shows you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.
With android, Nokia would be able to use their hard built software know how, instead of throwing everything through the windows*
Nokia on android would actually look radically different - probably a polished and pumped up Meego with android apps
20. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
But Eflop hates Linux. Ex employe of MS. He is here to tumble down Nokia. Since he took over. Shares have tumbled steeply.
43. -box- (Posts: 3991; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Surface uses Windows 8, a computer OS. Lumia's use Windows PHONE, a mobile OS version of the same kernel. They look significantly different
66. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
I wasn't talking about surface tablet but about the windows phone looks.
On the surface, WP 7 and WP 8 look the same..the same looks for year and a half now - it's not refreshing anymore for sure.
53. Victor.H (Posts: 658; Member since: 27 May 2011)
That's actually a pretty good point indeed. Nokia on Android could easily bring some of that Swipe UI sweetness, if differentiation was really key.
71. -box- (Posts: 3991; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Yeah, but other than app availabilty, there's little incentive to go Android; why not just get the OEMs together to support MeeGo? It's more pleasant and advanced-feeling than Android is, and has benefits that Android can't realize as it's based off a kernel more closely related to computers than mobile devices
86. SIGPRO (Posts: 1474; Member since: 03 Oct 2012)
How many WP versions we have compared to Android? So yuo do not know what you are talking about......!
And don't cry because Nokia did not chose that crappy/laggy Android!
4. MeoCao (unregistered)
Nokia could have done better with 920 had MS released WP8 sooner.
45. -box- (Posts: 3991; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Presuming the tech was ready then, sure. Android would have done better years ago if they had JB instead of Donut, but neither the phones nor OS were capable of it