Nokia sells Qt to Digia: iOS, Android and Windows Phone ports coming
0. phoneArena 09 Aug 2012, 05:01 posted on
Nokia is continuing to spin off “non-core assets” and has now sold its Qt open source development platform to Finnish software company Digia…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1166; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
or maybe because microsoft doesn't want QT on it's platform get rid of stephen Elop before it's too late....
ohh wait it is
7. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
This is what's on my thoughts. MS is now controlling nokia. First meego, then meltemi and now qt. Oh god.
2. IamYourFather6657 (Posts: 321; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
Qt is such an asset . Wtf is going on ?
5. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1166; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
stephen elop that's what's going on
11. SleepingOz (unregistered)
May be they need money..
12. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1166; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
they lots of other things could've sold and QT was already making money for Nokia
13. IamYourFather6657 (Posts: 321; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
they spend so much money in qt now sell it off at a quarter of a price even though its usefull . wtf ?
18. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
they only sold it for a very cheap price... and also the 500 patents is sold for a cheap price too!! f**k that elop!!!
he is the worst nokia CEO ever ad the worst CEO and man ever made by the creator!!!
i hope terrorist attact him and kill him!!!
3. KineticArc (Posts: 11; Member since: 29 Jun 2011)
Well, I always thought Qt would be an excellent platform to develop with on a mobile phone. I have been using it for work for the past few years and it is one sweet SDK. I really hope this doesn't spell doom for the platform. I don't think I could stomach using GTK...
4. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1166; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
it's not digia will make android, Meego, ios compatible
and possibly wp8
6. steelicon (Posts: 316; Member since: 02 Apr 2011)
All hell breaks loose. WTF?! Elop, WTF?! NOKIA BOD! Empty shell, ghost of a company. NOKIA hanging on by a thread.
8. Nokia-Arte (banned) (Posts: 42; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Elop needs to be fired right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!
9. thatdude1 (unregistered)
Nokia is definitely doing the will of Microsoft. When Microsoft commands, Nokia certainly obeys. They might as well call themselves "Nokia by microsoft" now.
10. android8 (Posts: 22; Member since: 07 Aug 2012)
Nokia Mobile Hardware + Android
It would have been a tough competition to the mobile phone world rulers.
15. snowgator (Posts: 3463; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Relax, people. Think this through.
While not owning it, they still could utilize it as much as any other company to port development to Android, right? I mean, none of the other companies or developers will own it and they will be able to use it, right? As a matter of common sense, "plan B" was probably included in the deal if it is Android.
Nokia just probably sees this as a more cost effective way to lower the financial burden on their company right now. Android is still and will always be an option if WP 8 disappoints.
16. jtech (Posts: 101; Member since: 14 Jul 2011)
"Nokia is stepping one step further away from Android as the plan B, and focusing even more exclusively on Windows Phone."
17. snowgator (Posts: 3463; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
That statement was not from Nokia. It was the opinion of the writer of this story. It is the kind of opinion that makes it's way into a lot of writers stories and you have to learn to seperate the facts of the story from what someone writing thinks. In an election season, it is very, very common.
Again, WHAT is the difference from Nokia using Qt than any other company? None, zip, zero, nada. Android is open source and there is no reason to think Nokia would not take advantage of a free, established OS that is polished enough that they could launch stock ICS/Jellybean devices in a short period of time if WP 8 does not do what Nokia needs it to. This sale is the equal of having a trailer you like just sitting out back collecting dust when you are short on cash. It isn't serving a purpose, use it as capital. There are other ways to haul stuff if you need to down the line....
19. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
dafuq nokia... you are let me down!! i hate you right now.. i really do.. there is no traction of the old nokia to these new nokia... no more symbian.. no more meego/maemo.. no more Qt... what will nokia's face gonna be?