Nokia says existing Lumia handsets will be pimped out with new features, gives the juicy details
0. phoneArena 11 Sep 2012, 08:33 posted on
Nokia announced today that a bunch of new features will be gradually coming to owners of its current Lumia range, the 610, 710, 800 and 900. In a reassuring post, the Finns confirmed that those current devices will be getting the best of what Windows Phone can offer, tailored for the hardware, of course...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. eisenbricher (Posts: 973; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
That's Nokia for you... they'll never forget old customers.
3. PhansMuneeb (Posts: 370; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
That's the reason to hold a Nokia Lumia in my hand
7. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
This is so true. They never get tired on giving updates even for my 2 year old nokia n8.
In terms of customer service, nokia will be the greatest.
10. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4766; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Yeah Nokia doesn't forget their old customers but they now seem to have an ethics problem with their pureview fiasco they got themselves into.
I really WANT Nokia to succeed but I have to say their pureview fiasco is definitely not helping at all. Nokia needs now more than ever to literally bend over backwards to fix what someone negligent in their brass did to them.
I hope that Nokia gets out of this fast & clean because it would be a shame if these new Nokia's don't sell because of the negative press. These new Nokia WP8's have some real potential & I hope they really do well.
12. Credo (Posts: 731; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
Gsmarena states that nokia never said that hose clips were shot using the l920's camera, so its al a hoax :D Why would Nokia be so stupid to release videos where you can see its faked ?
13. eisenbricher (Posts: 973; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
The pureview fiasco was a blunder... but in course of time I see general opinion of people shifting to the positive side. Yeah, that day people were furious, posted lethal comments but now I see more and more reassuring thoughts.
17. Alistaire (Posts: 132; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Really?? I don't think people care that much. Except people who read tech news. I'm definitely getting the Lumia 920.
24. dickwyn (Posts: 608; Member since: 07 May 2012)
25. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
AND YOU THINK APPLE 4S ADS ARE REAL? SERIOUSLY THE "SIRI" ADVERTISMENTS??!?! BUT DONT SEE PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT IT.
SIRI AD = MCDONALD'S BURGER AD
14. Alistaire (Posts: 132; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
I was hoping for IE 10 for my Lumia 900. Thought I very happy with my phone the way it is now.
22. RobotMan (Posts: 142; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
if you consider Lumia 900 old. How fast people forget!
23. erick01 (Posts: 22; Member since: 10 Sep 2012)
Long life for my 710!! Next year: 920, for sure
37. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
finally a bluetooth file transfer!!! nokia: connecting people!
the current lumia is still good to buy because of these!! but still hoping for mass storage! :)
39. RobotMan (Posts: 142; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
They are the one that give you the uncompleted OS.
2. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
And it means, bluetooth FTP coming to WP8. Great work Nokia.
4. smile99 (Posts: 4; Member since: 05 Sep 2012)
"Bluetooth file transfer to send media files via Bluetooth..." I like this :)
5. Osman (Posts: 44; Member since: 07 May 2012)
finally sending files over bluetooth is becoming possible!
6. dr_fajardo12 (Posts: 108; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
dont know how people can be so stupid... thanks nokia!
8. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2098; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
Yessss... very good Nokia. ?.. unlike apple. !,,
9. iced_heroine (Posts: 28; Member since: 09 Sep 2012)
the more reason for me to wait for the lumia 920....
11. Credo (Posts: 731; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
Wow, bt file trasfer, one more great option to sell my l900 and buy a l920 short after :D
31. -box- (Posts: 3984; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
These are features coming to Windows Phone 7.8 Lumias, the WIndows Phone 8 phones will already have these
15. refreak (Posts: 29; Member since: 18 Dec 2011)
and in the meantime , a frnd of mine bought the samsung galaxy r, which samsung promised to upgrade to ics...
Well, samsung trolled him, he never got the update..
No galaxy r user got the update, samsung just ditched them..
I m not comparing wp8 and android,
i m comparing nokia and others..
Nokia never ditches their customer
even n8 users still get customer support,
thats d reson i always stick 2 nokia,
32. Shubham412302 (Posts: 403; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
Well galaxy r has received update a month ago
Check through kies
16. CharlieAtInfinity (Posts: 253; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
Bluetooth file transfer to send media files via Bluetooth from your Lumia device to any other phone
OMG Thanks a ton nokia :D
18. snowgator (Posts: 3503; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Love my Focus S. A ton. It has been dependable, enjoyable, and Samsung has supported it decently.
But this???? A whole level different. Nokia is doing everything it can and putting a cherry on top to encourage present owners and those on the fence that they are in this for the long haul and that their consumers are appreciated. Forget "camera-gate" at the announcement for the 920/820. I am willing to spot it as an honest screw up.
Nokia is at the top of my list. I see them bringing apps (ESPN Radio, PayPal, ECT) to the entire ecosystem, top level exclusives to their devices, and support to make other manufacturers hide their faces in shame. So long as WP 8's features are everything we expect and put it in the same ballpark as Android, I am sold.
Sorry Sammy and HTC.... You are down a peg on the Gator Meter.
20. Mobile-X-Pert (Posts: 565; Member since: 20 Dec 2010)
You see, that's what I'm talking about.
26. papss (unregistered)
Give us the price of the 920 already!! I want and need this phone.
28. jlscott777 (Posts: 45; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
I agree, I do not think a week goes by that I do not find some new useful that I can actually use app or widget for my N8 and so far every few months some type of system upgrade which is more then I can say for my Android tablet.
29. 7ceez (Posts: 26; Member since: 08 Sep 2011)
Can't wait... this just makes it hard for me to wait for the 920 to get my upgrade... I just want a Nokia Lumia Now!!! lol
30. rsxl5 (Posts: 65; Member since: 05 Sep 2012)
Looks like for me that it's mostly rather a basic stuff...
Important one like VPN, e-mail client flexibility (just noticed that downloaded e-mails disappeared from my e-mail box after removed from the server ; well, I did set up POP3 account and it behaves like IMAP....) were not mentioned... :(
Mentioned updates are like MMS for iPhone 4S :)
33. 23nikki1 (Posts: 46; Member since: 25 Jul 2012)
A good company always values their customers...like nokia and samsung...
34. ckapasi (Posts: 12; Member since: 17 Dec 2010)
c'mon Samsung... take some note of this and please provide similar updates to my Omnia W !!
35. krimHD (Posts: 106; Member since: 23 May 2012)
i will always love nokia no matter the weather
36. SiyabongaMoss (Posts: 12; Member since: 24 Jul 2012)
Yeah finally Bt file transfer, something they should have had from the start, but anyway great to have it , now I could still buy a Lumia("old") smartphone . Now Im not sure how long i will last with ony 8gigs of memory, I take plenty of pics and listen to alot of music...but if its the best I can afford then hell yeah
42. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
is there an 8gig lumia? if so, there is a skydrive for windows phone so you can store more data. i think it is additional 7gig of data on skydrive. i suggest you buy the lumia 710 or 800. dont buy the 610 coz it is lower processor .
38. imran_khan0786 (Posts: 61; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)
That is why I love Nokia.
40. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
yeah even with elop is still there!! nokia still give its old device worthy to be bought! like the N8 for example... maybe it got its last update (Nokia Belle Refresh) but still the camera is still one of the best in today's competition!
so buying old nokia lumia still worth your money...
i just wonder how about the other WP like samsung for example..
will these features be available to nokia lumia only or these will be the update of WP7.8...
41. snowgator (Posts: 3503; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Really great question. I do feel the 7.8 update will be a good, but maybe not great, update. But we probably won't know until well after WP 8 is launched. Priorities and all for MS, I can forgive them.