Nokia says ATIV S just a "warmup" for its WP8 handsets next week, hints a cameraphone
0. phoneArena 30 Aug 2012, 02:31 posted on
As the hardest clue so far that Nokia might indeed be prepping a PureView Lumia for next week unveiling, Doug Dawson asked a Twitter follower "Let me know if you need a cameraphone to take with you! ;-)", referring to her upcoming wedding...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
And if this isn't what Nokia has hyped it to be I'm sure I'll get the Ativ S. However, I hope to get a Lumia.
6. MeoCao (unregistered)
Hopefully Nokia match words with action this time.
But PureView is nice so we'll see.
9. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
Nokia did exceed it with what we expected from the PV teaser, hope for the same
21. The_Godfather (Posts: 186; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Respect from the core of ma heart for both Nokia & Sammy.
I want Sammy to dominate the market of Android with its beast phones (including my new monster Note 2;) ) and at the same time give a good competition to Nokia on Win 8 platform.
Would love to see this respectful competition from the most respected brands.
2. snowgator (Posts: 3515; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
No problem with this. Respectful and challenging all at once.
Nokia has a lot riding on WP 8. Bring it!! Love a good Smartphone war!!
8. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
respectful... more competition is better! :D
32. -box- (Posts: 3990; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
And I'm sure Samsung prefers a teasing tweet than another lawsuit
3. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
nokia was pissed of because the design of the Ativ S is really nice....
7. maverick786us (Posts: 146; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
ATIV S design look ordinary compared to sophistication of Lumia 900
14. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
yeah... your right!!! the ativ shows some scratches on its early hands on photos...the looks of the lumia line is really great..but hope nokia will make more revolutionary design...
im kinda pissed that they are just recreating N9 designs....
19. MeoCao (unregistered)
Did any1 buy L900 even for peanuts?
25. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3484; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Hold your horses Blackberry hater...Front of ATIV is good, back is DUMB!!! It's never really complete!!
34. -box- (Posts: 3990; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
If you have a case for your phone, does that really matter?
43. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3484; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
A case is a case...a phone is a phone!! Don't it matter to you????
4. Adithya7184 (Posts: 317; Member since: 05 Mar 2011)
for me, 8MP camera is enough..i already having an Canon HDR camera...way to go Ativ S....take my money..
11. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
bringing 2 gadget is riskiy... thats why a pureview lumia is what people like me need...
a digital camera+smartphone
22. Evil_SaNz (Posts: 259; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
If you just need an ordinary photo, 8MP is more than enough. If you love making photos, nothing can replace reflex cameras.
Kepler telescope uses 90 MP cameras to catch planets, why should I use a 41 MP camera to shoot myself drunk in random places?
At this point make a nice reflex camera instead a cameraphone and challenge Canon and Nikon
23. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
plannetery photos seriously u kiding but no one is harmed if a phone can take a pic nearly good as dig cam for price of one device and u missed the point of 41mg sensor it was to get better zoomed and low light pics which sucks in phones cameras with lot of noise PV has managed to reduced that
44. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
im not the richest person on earth so all i need is the best camera phone... and i hate bringing to device like dslr/digital camera and a phone..and the 808 pureview will just be right for me!!!
the pureview tech is one revolutionary technology in smartphone world!!!
even sony and samsung makes dslr/digi cam, they cant bring a very powerful cameraphone in their phone lines..
i want sony to return cybershot series.. a direct competitor of nokia camera phone! :P
and the 808 pureview is par to the canon 5D mark III and it even kick the butt of nikon,olympus and sony's slr!
5. rihel_95 (Posts: 299; Member since: 21 Mar 2012)
"Don't mistake 'first' for the 'best'. Still to come!"
10. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
Nokia just stop talking and start working for BETTER Lumia and BEST Windows Phone!!!
16. mobilefuture (Posts: 214; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
wait till the 5th. they gave you the date, so yeah they are gonna talk bi if they have something unbelievable up their sleeves. If the ATIV S is this awesome and Nokia is calling it a warm-up act, then I'm expecting a ground breaking release from Nokia next week.!! NOKIA FTW
17. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
taling?? and what samsung or apple do?
12. bloodline (Posts: 706; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
I give credit to nokia for designing something different but windows is not for me!
13. redmd (Posts: 1147; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Nokia is on the offensive, I sure hope they got the goods to back it up.
15. J1919 (Posts: 32; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
Well obviously Nokia will need to bring their A+ plus next week. They are after all the top dog of WP.
I hope we get some new desings too. Not that the N9 hosuing isn't gorgoeus but ya... let it rest in piece.
18. FoneAddict (Posts: 249; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
Please enough of this Hot Air from Nokia. Samsung delivered yesterday so enough with the cheap talk and DELIVER because if you don't Nokia will be history.
20. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
I'm sure Nokia will strike with it's design. One things I don't understand though why are they after Samsung?
Is it for marketing purpose so that when people type Samsung name on Google, Nokia will appear along the Google results?
24. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
they not after them its marketting strategy and nokia condition demands them to do marketting extreamly agressive and marketting is what they need their hardware is always good and OS is not in their hands at the moment
33. peacekeeper05 (Posts: 33; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)
Nokia is obviously riding on Samsung's popularity.
38. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
u serious nokia never depended on samsung like samsung depends on iphone popularity and copy them do u find any facts about nokia
35. -box- (Posts: 3990; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Nokia lost the top spot of mobile phones sold by volume to Samsung, so since they want their top spot back, Samsung is the obvious "target" to beat
26. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3484; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Nokia...Nokia...i hope you are real this time!!!
Pureview is a success, and i hope Lumia+Pureview will blow all!!
And i wish, i wish that the pureview "bump" decreases....big time!!!
28. Mobile-X-Pert (Posts: 565; Member since: 20 Dec 2010)
hahaha I'm liking this, go Nokia , go
29. Ueliton (Posts: 34; Member since: 29 Aug 2012)
This is what I call teasing!!! Now I´m excited!
30. Aeires (unregistered)
Class act, this is how phone manufacturers should behave, encouraging each other in a civil manner to do better. No over the top comments and leave the lawyers on coffee break, just bring on the great devices. I hope Nokia and Samsung, as well as RIM (BB10) do well with their new ventures.
31. peacekeeper05 (Posts: 33; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)
Well, if it is anything near the ugliness of the pureview 808 then Nokia should prepare for another profit loss. I don't know about you but I don't want to carry phone as thick as a 500 page book and has huge weird looking lenses at the back. Not to mention, it is running on Windows Phone meaning my favorite apps and games won't be supported.
36. -box- (Posts: 3990; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Have you checked the Windows Phone Marketplace? I would guess 90% of popular apps are there. EA, Gameloft, SquareEnix, Microsoft Studios, Namco, Glu, etc, are all there with their top games, and I would say their quality is above that of 99% of Android apps (and compatibility, too), and there are also fewer clones/ports/duplicates of titles, hence the lower overall app population. Also, Microsoft is paying developers a good amount of money to develop better programs, and port popular ones from other ecosystems to Windows/WindowsPhone. Zynga (WWF, DS, etc) is supposedly coming within the next few weeks, as well.
As for the camera, considering its borderline DSLR quality and replacement for a point-and-shoot, I can give plenty of leeway for a slight bulge for a superior camera, since it's one device in my pocket instead of 2, or one "jack-of-all-trades" device where I don't feel I need to lug around something else for everyday interactions. Similarly, since it's very likely that any Lumia PureView sensor would be around 20-21MP, the sensor (and bulge) would be significantly smaller (if any at all).
41. peacekeeper05 (Posts: 33; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)
why so defensive? am I not allowed to have MY FAVORITE APPS. And as a previous Windows phone owner, 90% of the apps I need are not in the windows marketplace.
And I'm saying that if it's anywhere near the looks of the Pureview 808 then I'll pass since it is too ugly for my taste.
40. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
yes...and samsung inspired by nature is a one beautiful piece of crap
42. peacekeeper05 (Posts: 33; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)
This Nokia fanboys are getting ridiculous.