Nokia profits from sale of $20 Nokia 105
0. phoneArena 29 Jun 2013, 01:25 posted on
You wouldn't think that much money could be made from selling a $20 phone; but a breakdown of the low-end Nokia 105 by IHS shows that even after paying $14.20 for the materials, components and manufacturing cost, the Finnish handset maker still makes a decent amount of money for each unit sold as the hardware and manufacturing margin works out to 29%...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. xperiaDROID (Posts: 3716; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
That's it! Shut up and take my money! lol
10. haseebzahid (Posts: 1718; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
lol how much will you carry of these phones altest a dozen with 450$
23. Boreni (banned) (Posts: 28; Member since: 22 Feb 2013)
"Those countries include Africa, Latin America and India."
India is a country but Africa and Latin America are not countries!
Alan F, You missed the lessons in geography? ;)
26. raunak (Posts: 458; Member since: 12 Oct 2011)
You should be happy. I was surprised he knew the world didn't end at america's borders.
28. Boreni (banned) (Posts: 28; Member since: 22 Feb 2013)
I thought they are located in Europe.
You know how they make a living?
I do not see an commercial and such on this site.
29. raunak (Posts: 458; Member since: 12 Oct 2011)
You don't see ads probably because you browse on mobile site.
40. SonyXperiaNexus (Posts: 367; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
you must have installed adblock or something. i dont see ads anymore coz i did that myself
2. dan86 (Posts: 297; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
Low end models still rock, because few people belive that a person should be smart rather his phone.
14. quyenqchau0813 (Posts: 70; Member since: 22 Mar 2013)
I heard this phone only have two GSM bands
and it cannot work in U.S. T_T
5. KiranPAUSER (Posts: 69; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
Great one still making profit. I heard lumia 520 has almost zero profit!
35. cdgoin (Posts: 335; Member since: 28 Jul 2010)
Actually rumor has it the 521 due to similar efficiencies actually has a larger profit % than the 920 or 925, when you add the MS subsidy.
6. Penny (Posts: 901; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Wow, that is cheap. Can't imagine building out a downstream for such efficient production and distribution.
8. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
Efficient manufacturing and cost saving.
9. sampath.soundappan (Posts: 1; Member since: 29 Jun 2013)
The Nokia 105 is definitely a bang for the buck. Just purchased a black one two days back and I am amazed by the quality and feel of the phone. Very nice keypad and excellent battery backup.
11. cheeseycheeser (Posts: 236; Member since: 24 Mar 2011)
Last I checked Africa and Latin America weren't countries! ;)
12. ilia1986 (unregistered)
I wonder what's the Antutu score for this beast.. :D
13. pyradark (Posts: 621; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
Inifinite. It doesnt crash compare to smartphone
15. Jason2k13 (Posts: 425; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
can someone tell me if this phone lags on modern combat 3?
16. iushnt (Posts: 376; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
No this phone doesn't lag..this phone doesn't accept those apps and games which can create lags..thats why this phone is smooth
17. raunak (Posts: 458; Member since: 12 Oct 2011)
Should not. I tried crysis 3. Gave me 40 fps at medium settings.
20. SonyXperiaNexus (Posts: 367; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
b!tch plz. it gives 200fps on snakes which is better than crysis 3
19. SonyXperiaNexus (Posts: 367; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
it cant run modern combat 3 (coz nokia doesnt allow it that is) but its battery was enough to power my laptop for 12 hours which does.
18. kindlefireowner (Posts: 232; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
I believe in Nokia so much that I brought the stock. Nokia is my Powerball ticket.
21. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1473; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Lol for your same I hope Nokia can make it through these tough times!
22. BraggingBob (Posts: 24; Member since: 17 May 2013)
Are they really making money? You forgot to account for R&D cost, Marketing cost, royalties and warranty cost.
24. Sondae (Posts: 172; Member since: 02 Jan 2013)
Some people are okay with with a low end specs like call and text like my relative. I guess nokia can get a lot of consumer with that beside Nokia is known for built and quality. Aside from that you dont have to worry about broken screen if you drop it and not afraid of being snached stolen because its not a pricy. Very handy when you travel just to keep in touch with your love one.
25. faizan-sharif (Posts: 8; Member since: 26 Jun 2013)
used to buy all these Nokia phones as started to use phone but later i bought a phone from ZTE that was frm a company plan, tht just use our services and get the phone for free, was not a bad deal, but later i came to know that, that ZTE phone still rocks same like Nokia but as it has 10 days of battery timing, nokia never gave me this timing for my basic feature phone, this ZTE phone is superb in both stand by and calling time, but when it comes to higher end ZTE has no match with Nokia, had Nokia made few androids, i hardly believe we were going for samsung, but we shud not say this, just wait, what will be last decision Nokia will make
27. kindlefireowner (Posts: 232; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
ZTE? Seriously! You are comparing Nokia to ZTE. You just want to feel good about the money you wasted on that ZTE garbage phone.
37. faizan-sharif (Posts: 8; Member since: 26 Jun 2013)
hahaha, no i am saying it was for free, and similar to Nokia, i love Nokia btw, and beside bad time came to Nokia , we kept using Nokia
36. Diazene (Posts: 99; Member since: 01 May 2013)
39. Alan01 (Posts: 105; Member since: 21 Mar 2012)
Yes, thank you for the heads up. We have made the correction and we appreciate you letting us know.
38. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5166; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Not available in the u.s. that's sad NOKIA it would sell like hot cakes if u sell it here