Nokia now sells 80.2% of all Windows Phone devices
0. phoneArena 10 Jun 2013, 08:39 posted on
In May 2013, Nokia grew its market share holding 80.2% of all Windows Phone sales. Windows Phone 8 also gained in popularity…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
I honestly thought it would sell moree than that.....something like 90%....
19. Mittal (Posts: 445; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
thats the figure i also expected but considering only local demand!
I didnt know that the 8X ( i just inferred that) is popular in the US and the 8S in the UK o_O
38. Wiki_jaan (Posts: 703; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
lol nokia kicked every ones butt in WP OS race.....
53. -box- (Posts: 3878; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Nah, the 8X is somewhat popular; good design, thinner and lighter than the 920, and it was/is on more carriers. Exclusivity doesn't help sales, necessarily
59. Muzhhur (Posts: 248; Member since: 14 Sep 2012)
What happend whit the big toe down option?????
2. Roomaku (Posts: 278; Member since: 06 Feb 2012)
Well they were the only ones that really seemed to be giving Windows Phone 110% and still making asha phones. More power to them!
3. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3319; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Keep it on Nokia! We'll hope Microsoft starts to spend more time with WP!
4. sprockkets (Posts: 1361; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Well if those charts say anything is that WP isn't profitable for anyone but Nokia, and they get a billion a year to make them.
6. bulgyjj (Posts: 27; Member since: 08 Jun 2013)
It doesn't say it's not profitable at all, all it says is that it's not as profitable as them on android.. But of course you already knew that right?
8. sprockkets (Posts: 1361; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
You want 4.5% to 0.5% of all WP sales which could mean 350k to 70k phone sales? That's pathetic.
10. papss (unregistered)
Lol did you even read your comment and then his? You said it's not profitable but that isn't true. With your logic all phone MFG should have stayed with window Mobil since they had all the market share then correct?
64. sprockkets (Posts: 1361; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Motorola did go with WM and lost millions on it, then kicked MS to the curb and went Android. Then the lawsuits started when they also gave them the finger on their patents.
At WM's peak they had 25% market share, but that only happened when Palm did the stupidest maneuver in their life and went WM.
You really think those other OEMs not getting a billion dollars a year from MS to use WP are getting any ROI? Here'a hint: The only two companies making a profit are Apple and Samsung, and Samsung is at 4.5% market share of all WPs.
7. papss (unregistered)
My space had far more choices than Facebook, you could customize everything... Which one won?
9. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
What so your saying WP will beat android....hahahahahaha....pa bring back red thumbs please!!!!
11. papss (unregistered)
You take it how you want.. I was just making a comment about the far more customizing my space versus Facebook
13. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Mmmmm ok.....I see your point now....I think....
18. protozeloz (Posts: 5381; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Actually my problem with MySpace was about the certain things that where annoying, it lacked many stuff the users needed and had many things that annoyed the crap out of a lot of people, like music, back there when the internet was slow and you opened multiple windows having all the MySpace profiles playing all the dam music at the same time was annoying as **** plus MySpace never actually focused too much on actual set improved
12. bulgyjj (Posts: 27; Member since: 08 Jun 2013)
I think what he's saying is that the silly things that you hold to be the reason that android is in the lead don't always stay that way.
14. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
What silly things make android in the lead may I ask....
16. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
well you should be stating them considering your so sure android will always be top
you state that android has more features etc yet never say them. what features does android have that no other os has that are essential and used everyday?
21. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
1.USB Mass storage to acces files
5.Notification centre supplying shortcuts
7.Can replace battery
8.Wide range of devices
9.Set apps for default
10.Installing custom ROMs
I could go on but I've made my point....
24. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
1.usb mass storage- was on Symbian way before android and seeing as i said what does android offer that no other os offers thats essential thats not an answer
2.widgets- ohh come on android didnt invent the widget, besides widgets will one day be outdated just like how the grid on iOS is looking tired
3. open source- how is this essential? there are pro's and con's to this but the general market couldnt care as long as it does whats needed
4. sd card- your really grasping at straws now, my Symbian phone has micro sd slot, the samsung ativ wp8 phone does. this isnt exclusive to android
5. notification centre shortcuts- all os's have alternatives plus they have there own version of ways to do the same.....you still havent said anything that android has thats essential that others dont
6. multi-tasking- ohh yeah becuase as we know android invented multi tasking lol symbian had it before that plus how many apps do people leave open nowadays? lets be honest multitasking hardly gets utilized. iOS has its version of it etc again nothing essential in your comment
7. thats the choice of the device manufacture not a feature of android
8. again thats not an essential feature of android, your been an idiot now
9. wow thats so needed we couldnt live without that lmao
10. this is needed as your never happy with android out the box so you have to jump through hoops. the general market wont root anyway your speaking about a small segment
please go on, i actually want to see how desperate you can go
you couldnt think of anything could you, face facts all os's have the essentials down and android wont be on top forever
26. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
So you miss points 7-10
1.who the hell uses symbian now except for you....
2.no other is has them which is what you asked.....
3.that is what the whole os is based on....how can you say its not used
4.lol the ativ s is that it?
5.lol your argument makes no sense....
6.I use multitasking all the time and everyone else does look around you before you make some rubbish up
7. I've done 7 if you actually look...
Dude please be quiet as your just as much of a fanboy as thre rest of us.....
32. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
your so dense
im using symbian as an example to prove how blind you are, i will rip your comment apart again then see your sad excuse for a reply
to start you say android has lag because of all the features yet when i quiz you on these features you name everything that symbian could do before android had it. if a single core symbian can handle it theres no excuse for the lag is there?
your saying the general market use multitasking all the time, considering the iphone dominated and is still selling high numbers and your kind moan about how it cant truly multitask this shows theres a huge number who dont need to multitask. besides most will only have one app open at a time. just becuase you supposedly do doesnt mean everyone does. for your info i use multitasking on my 808 but i know the general market is different.
i actually answered all your ...errm lets be nice and say points yet you have stated nothing on what features android has thats essential and need everyday. why is that?
come on fanboy try to come up with something you said you could go on so do name some more
40. steelicon (Posts: 313; Member since: 02 Apr 2011)
Apparently your detractors do not understand.
Android and Symbian lags because they are actually pumping more features as they are smartphone mobile operating systems.
iOS and Windows Phone do not lag as much because they use featurephone mobile operating systems in the league of Nokia Asha.
The lag free environment is not because they are efficient. The lag free environment is because they can do FAAAAAAAAAAAAAR more less than Android and Symbian - rich and full featured mobile operating systems.
Android and Symbian have more substance. iOS and Windows Phone are the dumb blondes.
Apologies to the blondes who are non-dumb. :-)
46. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
I can't talk to you your just to stubborn.....just plain dilution is demonstrated best by your comments....
49. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
So who cares what this moronic strategy will bring next year.
I am truly tired of this BS story, but MS and wp8 users again are promising yet once again, that this time MS will succeed in winning even though MS "Epic failed"™ with Windows mobile befor Nokia joined, and failed again with Wp7, and now somehow it will be diffrent BS, POS! With Wp8. Yes steve bull$hit+ bullmer said MS shareholders that this christmas, wp8 is outselling last christmas wp8 sales by 4. 1.8 million totall smartphone. Under wp. If they are doing 4times bette, the sales level would be 7.2mln units.
Befor you say any oooos and ahhhhhs thst would mean 3% market share for the 3rd ecosystem haha. How good is that?
Well Android is the biggest OS eith 71% market share and growing. Apple the 2nd, 3rd BB 4rth Bada, and very pathetic last wp8™
27. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Hahahaha dude you say your not a fanboy-"your never happy with android out the box".....you my friend ARE a FANBOY
28. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Now I see why I am always the only person to argue with you.....because no one argues With a blind fanboy like you!!
31. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
so that line makes me a fanboy, hmm so your what? a deluded idiotic one sided arrogant ....fanboy
i was nice as fanboy was going to be something else. you proved my point and your flimsy reasons like ''replace battery''
your using that as a reason why android is better, do you see how stupid that is
75. wurmZ (Posts: 32; Member since: 11 Jun 2013)
i like your argument, which make up an equation of:
36. deburocks (Posts: 126; Member since: 20 Apr 2013)
ohh ok..first of all im one f the user who is still using symbian handset, had n 808 as well but my bad luck. Bought it secnd hand and dropped in water while white water rafting and now nt sure when it will b ok. Anyways, to some extent android is better then windows , and some of these pts u pointed out are missing in windows. But frankly a custom rom , replacing batttery , open source etc are just good words and it clearly shows the shortcomings of a manufacturer. Yup usb otg, notification centre with shortcuts is the need of hour. But all will b granted soon. With windows , nokia spent like only few months and u can clearly see how much progress they have made in terms f , additional software, and good hardware. Compare 3 year old android with j.b today you will clearly see a huge makeover. Fyki nokia already had all these developments( most of f the features android has) in maemo already . So just wait , wish and watch..cheers
41. steelicon (Posts: 313; Member since: 02 Apr 2011)
You keep on waiting and miss out on all those neat features okay while we use Symbian and Android now with all of those features present. Thank you.
48. deburocks (Posts: 126; Member since: 20 Apr 2013)
i wud luv to, and now what i will gain ? Eos for sure. m still using my primary phone as n8 and nt 720. Cos clickin pics is what i really cherish more. Games have a saturation level and with cheat codes they become boring after sometime. At the end of day nobdys forcing you for anything. If u like samsung go for it, if u like htc, sony , lg, moto, b.b then go for it. But i will wait for EOS. :)
17. Dastrix (Posts: 620; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
Android can't (and won't) be leading forever. WP is the clear winner in the long run because iOS would most likely be irrelevant. Ever heard of the Industry Lifecycle Model? There's your answer...
20. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
How is windows phone the winner in the long term...
22. haseebzahid (Posts: 1836; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
strong baseline product with solid kernel and far less bugs in core OS
23. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Lol.....is that it......the majority of the general public have no are for any of that....
69. haseebzahid (Posts: 1836; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
android hides behind apps that all at core its garbage OS it can run for only so long before not only WP but others gonna take over it unless android is rebuilt from scratch with same stuff yes but better OS
and by no means i considered apps or hardaware support in first comment i was talking totally about OS
35. Dastrix (Posts: 620; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
For the record, I already answered your question. Try to make sense of my previous comment before you actually reply.
42. steelicon (Posts: 313; Member since: 02 Apr 2011)
Wrong. Open source software will have the edge here. Specially ROYALTY and FREE LICENSE software is the real winner. Which WP is not. Manufacturers PAY for WP license. WP is already dead as soon as Nokia dies.
78. wurmZ (Posts: 32; Member since: 11 Jun 2013)
ANDROID is for those who prefer FREE apps which means low income people.
43. Whateverman (Posts: 3233; Member since: 17 May 2009)
I hate to say it like this because I actually think WP8 is a good OS, but no one likes it. The clear winner is typically a well received product and the general public just doesn't like WP.
45. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
you cant speak for everyone, no one liked android when it started, it was pretty terrible tbh
there are no clear winners in tech as it always changes, one will be on top but then fall and another will take its place and so on, androids time will come one just like everything else
the general public do like wp seeing as its growing. its just they need aggressive marketing everywhere. ive started seeing some HTC 8s's, 920's etc
people just take time to try something new, they get too used to what they have.
saying no ones likes it is an absolute and wrong, be like me saying android is for deluded fanboys....judging by this site my statement looks true
52. Whateverman (Posts: 3233; Member since: 17 May 2009)
You are really sad dude. If you want to be THAT literal, fine. But I don't believe nor do I have to speak for EVERYONE. I keep complimenting WP8 but all you see is fanboy. Well all I see in you is an antagonist, looking for a fight. And I keep telling you, YOU'RE BARKING UP THE WRONG TREE. More people agree with my comment, no matter how pissed off it makes you feel, just by the simple fact that people are not buying it. People didn't buy the G1, but they bought the hell out of the Droid. So it couldn't have been too bad, now could it. Find someone else to fight with because I'm not here for that. And you really don't want it with me dude.
60. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
calling me sad when all i did was point out how you literally said no one likes wp. thats an absolute and shows your trying to say no one likes it, not even suggest you worded it like its fact so get off your high horse
im not as you say pissed off, i think your the one with your panties in a twist, nothin in my comment was offensive and it was on topic with what you had said so whats your problem?
'' And you really don't want it with me dude.''
i wasnt looking for a fight but seeing as you seem to think your something else i may call you out on it so come on explain why your so special and i shouldn't call you out
61. Whateverman (Posts: 3233; Member since: 17 May 2009)
You don't want it little girl. I'm ignoring you now, okay...
62. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
ohh come on someones showing there true self, very immature
please dont act a big man on here, your not scary in anyway and this 'fight'' i apparently dont want with you is sounding good lol just to bring you back to reality and off your high horse
72. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
lmao so this is why i dont want a fight with you, because you will act like a child. next you will kick and scream and roll around on the floor
least these comments show you for what you are, you act the big man then the immature child appears. you gave us a laugh though. people on the internet keep dropping to a new low
73. Whateverman (Posts: 3233; Member since: 17 May 2009)
B*tch, call it whatever you want, this is me trying to walk away but you keep trying to provoke me to argue with you. Your gonna have to do a lot better then this. Your comments string as much as baby punches, I'm just getting tired of responding to you.
74. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
considering your the one that initiated this so called 'fight'' and acted arrogant you have no one to blame but yourself. you stated i didnt want this fight as your what? some hard man lol but now your trying to act reasonable and walk away. is that what you do, start something then try slide away when someone calls you on it
and as for baby punches, you replied with ''blah blah blah blah ''etc pretty immature for someone that is supposed to be a big man
i dont have to do better as your unable to do a thing, you built yourself up and now have nothing to come back at me with
if your tired of responding (most likely due to the fact your digging your own grave and have nothing left) then stop replying
79. Whateverman (Posts: 3233; Member since: 17 May 2009)
you're mentally out matched, so why don't you just quit responding, go to school, learn your algebra, come back in about 5 or 10 years when you might be on my level, then we can discuss this like rational human beings but until then just shut up.
80. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
haha wow your arrogance has hit a new level, even worse is your high and mighty attitude is undeserved as you have proven no match for anyone on here.
face facts your outmatched and im not even having to try, you started this i just proved you were wrong in your first comment about no one liking wp and you go off on one with your panties in a twist
come on then kid, outdo me show this amazing intellect you believe you possess
if you cant then take your own advice and shut up
82. Whateverman (Posts: 3233; Member since: 17 May 2009)
I hope you don't think using more words make you look more intelligent because it just even for that you have absolutely nothing of value to contribute here. All you do is argue, all you do is pick fights, then you try and act like the victim, quit being the victim. you're asking for a little girl and I don't want to fight with children.
65. deburocks (Posts: 126; Member since: 20 Apr 2013)
and the same general public is going nuts for lumia 520. so is it the price constraint or bad mouthing an o.s?? Already 520 is outselling droids within its price range, most people dont have knowledge about windows o.s other then tecn savvy guys, people who come to the website like phonearena. For general public anything thats shining and rising is the need of hour. So once an o.s is well known then only peopl start rooting for it. Like in case of android thats quite common now with every manufacturer and common public. Ios and windows are little sophisticated
68. Whateverman (Posts: 3233; Member since: 17 May 2009)
That phone is doing well because it's cheap. There are some really cheap Android devices that are selling extremely well, but that doesn't mean they're great phones. And im not saying the 520 is a bad phone, just saying that's why it's selling.
71. steelicon (Posts: 313; Member since: 02 Apr 2011)
L520 is one of those phones that are app restricted due to 512MB RAM.
Lu720, I understood his question and I am aware of the fact that asphalt was updated to support 512 MB devices.
My explanation still stands. app developers decide the RAM requirement and then build the app accordingly. Gameloft probably has good reason to have pulled out the 512 MB ram app and replace it with the previous version.
It is disappointing, I agree.