Nokia mocks Samsung for the blurry Oscars selfies
0. phoneArena 03 Mar 2014, 03:18 posted on
Samsung's impromptu PR stunt with Ellen's record-breaking selfie at the Oscars might have been incredibly successful, but the quality of the picture, taken with a Note 3, wasn't that great. Of course, that's a big part of the fun with selfies, but this didn't prevent Nokia from chiming in with a snarky comment...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
17. Skoms (Posts: 118; Member since: 03 Feb 2014)
nokia is not nokia anymore its microsoft
the bashing microsoft :( This is all you can microsoft.
23. Skoms (Posts: 118; Member since: 03 Feb 2014)
The funny thing is that nokia Wp is going backward in sells, latest quarter
I think microsoft should be quet !!!
34. Liveitup (Posts: 1797; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Samsung went backwards last quarter as well despite the launch of Note 3.
Yet despite the launch of Note 3 and IPhone 5S and 5C Nokia still managed to ship 8.2 million devices, that is very impressive hardly giving up any ground in the face of new competition.
HTC who pushed Android all of last year had a 36.5% decline year over year.
30 million Lumia sales in 2013 more than doubled its sales from the 13.3 million Lumias sold in 2012 helping to make making WP the fastest growing OS on the planet.
You just showed a snapshot of the whole story.
38. rob5150 (Posts: 147; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
The extreme majority of those lumia sales you speak of are due to a lumia 520/521. Which was priced anywhere between 49$ and 99$.
A nice phone for what it is, but not a trailblazer.
47. Skoms (Posts: 118; Member since: 03 Feb 2014)
nokia is now going Android to sell phones LOL
83. JDeus01 (Posts: 29; Member since: 07 May 2013)
so? nobody here is talking about android, wth android has to do with pic quality???
77. Beaustir45 (Posts: 25; Member since: 26 Mar 2012)
It was taken with the front facing camera, you can't get rid of that with a Nokia phone, or any phone for that matter.
But, they already got the word out, and other people don't know these things.
14. sakurorhino (Posts: 47; Member since: 28 Feb 2014)
Nokia is always looking for free marketing
So it can only happen under the wraps of Samsung
But still at the end of every year More Galaxies are sold
19. Skoms (Posts: 118; Member since: 03 Feb 2014)
nokia had went almost bankrupt with WP
now they start selling Android phones. to sell phones Lol
26. josephnero (Posts: 514; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
This is not marketing.this is just plain stupid childish bashing.i'm not a sammy fan BTW
32. SleepingOz (unregistered)
That's not new, you know. They've been doing this for quite a while now, but did this help them to boost their market share? No!
88. garyII (Posts: 160; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
totally agree ! if Nokia are really good, why dont they offer Ellen 1520 at the first place...besides, and at least Samsung marketing department got to do something to make their products famous...!
54. Ashoaib (Posts: 2948; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Nokia cant do anything on their own, so they always need to catch up on something like andriod, samsung etc...
59. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
OIS is a must-have camera function these days. Maybe Sammy (and Apple and a few others as well) will include OIS in their new flagship phones.
If it takes a mocking tweet by a competitor to push OIS, then I am all for it.
72. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Because LG front cam is better...not.
76. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
NOKIA just jealous cause they weren't smart like SAMSUNG giving ELLEN a GALAXY NOTE III and was at the awards
16. Doakie (Posts: 1725; Member since: 06 May 2009)
Uppercut? Coming from Nokia that's just a Jab. Nokia right now can't phase the Samsung behemoth no matter how hard it punches.
37. alterecho (Posts: 1096; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
Windows Phone OS dilutes the power of Nokia's punches.
43. papss (unregistered)
4. mr.techdude (Posts: 569; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Nokia is just jelly that a celeb is not using it's products, we all know Nokia is a suck up towards celebs.
5. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Mock all you want, Nokia, but even if they use the Lumia 1520 to take selfie, the picture quality won't be any different from the Note 3. Try mocking Huawei, oh wait...you can't mock Huawei, because they have a premium smartphone with a 5MP front camera, so you better not try mocking Huawei with your so so 2MP front camera. lol
20. Skoms (Posts: 118; Member since: 03 Feb 2014)
microsoft makes me feel bad, how could they destroy nokia in this way.
Elop brought Nokia to disaster
28. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Right! You have a point here. Not to mention the Oppo N1.
6. darkskoliro (Posts: 1062; Member since: 07 May 2012)
Lets do away with the 5 seconds it takes to take a photo!
7. Phonecall01 (unregistered)
9. Kuroki (Posts: 87; Member since: 24 Nov 2013)
he means that even nokia's cameras are great, it takes time to capture a photo...shutter LAG
48. sbw44 (Posts: 425; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
Better to take the best photo on a smartphone in 5 seconds than a crappy one in 1 second! Quality always beat Quantity!
62. joey_sfb (Posts: 4577; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Even their camera nokia brag all the time is flawed.
My LG Optimus 3D has camera lag and it make taking pictures difficult as people can't sync their poses with the cam.
Samsung solve this problem with Best Picture mode. Burst a series of 10 pictures and recommend the best shot to me. With Note 3 its impossible to take ugly pictures compare to my other smartphone.
85. elitewolverine (Posts: 3778; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
It is called burst mode. just like Samsung nokia has had this for some time...so what was the point of this?
Also I would put the burst mode of the lumia against the note 3 any day, my 925 takes amazing photos with so little lag, and its only 8.7 vs 13mp
10. toink (unregistered)
Nice try Nokia, however I think it wasn't the phones fault, but the person who took it.
89. garyII (Posts: 160; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
agree ! maybe Ellen will boy-cot Nokia after seeing this tweet...lol
11. sakurorhino (Posts: 47; Member since: 28 Feb 2014)
Note 3 is faaar faaaaar better than Lumia 1520
What a cowardy Move Nokia..great
12. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1345; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
Does it really matter? So petty how these companies are fighting over the smallest detail. How about make the 1520 available on all carriers before talking crap Nokia. Stop with these exclusive deals and make a phone that people can actually buy on their favorite carrier. Samsung solved that problem with the Note 2 and Samsung S3.
This is why I can never root for Sony. If you don't put your flagship phone on all carriers then your dead to me.
18. Doakie (Posts: 1725; Member since: 06 May 2009)
I've never heard it said better. Grats to a legendary comment!
13. jakece (Posts: 6; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
If nokia thinks that theyre better than Samsung why cant they beat Samsung haha?
35. papss (unregistered)
Says no one..
29. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Oppo's flagships are among the best smartphones out there. Can't wait for the Find7!
22. Dante216 (Posts: 31; Member since: 18 Dec 2013)
I had the 1520... The front camera was abysmal. Blue hue on any picture you took. Nokia should be quiet.
36. Gemmol (Posts: 669; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
Should of sent it back and ask for another 1520
24. strikercho (banned) (Posts: 156; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
Hahaha, Shamshunk are always a good laughing stock!
25. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 943; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Aww, that's a very cute little try by Nokia :) so desperate.
30. papss (unregistered)
Fanboys don't get your little panties in a bunch.. It WAS a terrible photo afterall
33. CreedFrancis (Posts: 21; Member since: 28 Feb 2014)
lol this is pathetic Nokia! How about put a 41 mp front facing camera with OIS first before you attack Samsung.
PS:i love both Samsung and Nokia