Nokia makes fun of Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom with perfectly placed mobile ad
0. phoneArena 02 Sep 2013, 12:45 posted on
Nokia plays a mean game of one upmanship; what the Finnish based manufacturer did to Samsung is hilarious, but at the same time it is a perfectly good business tactic. It seems that in the U.K., Korean OEM Samsung had put up a billboard extolling the virtues of the camera-centric Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom. The ad reads "Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom, the only smartphone with 10X optical zoom," which apparently got the marketing guys at Nokia thinking...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
28. rd_nest (Posts: 441; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
Samsung will never respond to Nokia. Nokia is a dead company. If you respond to Nokia, it will only help Nokia not Samsung.
Samsung's fight is against Apple. other small entities like Nokia, LG will try to bite Samsung. Samsung or Apple will never respond to those. It's not worth giving attention to small fishes. The more attention you give them, more they will benefit.
31. Sauce (Posts: 448; Member since: 28 Apr 2013)
Which is why you never see Apple responding to Samsungs "blows".
44. pwnarena (Posts: 438; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
which allows them to make money. compared to simply doing propaganda that makes them spend money, it's apparently way better to go to the courts.
16. takeja (Posts: 35; Member since: 16 Aug 2013)
Good one from company taking our morality from Microsoft ....again and again:
1) limited, closed products without choice and freedom
2) poor apps in the MicroSoft stores
3) ads like from crying baby trying to despise competition
4) poor strategy caused lost.....profit insecure in the future
20. the_best (Posts: 119; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
1) The desktop is never the same on two different phones, total freedom.
2) Much like Nintendo has few third party games, but great selfmade games, windowsphone has few apps but great quality in their own software (read Nokia and microsoft).
3) ads are there to make us Think and feel. it got you pissed, so thats half a win.
4) madness is the closest condition to greatness.. profit insecure in the future.
22. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 910; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
takeja: Google is happy to share your private emails and other personal information with the NSA, and Samsung was caught paying individuals to post fake reviews about HTC Android products. If you are searching for examples of morality and ethical behavior in a corporate business environment, then all I can say to you is "good luck".
36. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
He and his fanboy kind turn a blind eye to this...google could hire someone to slap his mother and it would still be microsofts fault
Google are saints remember, they do no evil.......people living in the real world see the fact is google are as bad as all others
49. takeja (Posts: 35; Member since: 16 Aug 2013)
Google has to do that while Microsoft gives for free NSA back doors ;)
4. MCrapp (Posts: 312; Member since: 07 Apr 2013)
Android makes fun of windows phone! Perfectly!!!!!
10. MistB (Posts: 509; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Ha ha, very funny! Wake the hell up Samsung, instead of making those corny ads aimed at Apple, do have the courtesy to realise you have other competitors you need to be taking seriously from here on. Well done Nokia :D
50. -box- (Posts: 3470; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Or maybe they should actually advertise their ativ phones (and get them to stores in a reasonable amount of time...) so that the gap between Lumias isn't as big in terms of WP marketshare, or at least to better WP's overall position.
60. bwhiting (Posts: 105; Member since: 15 Jun 2013)
the ativ phones aren't really all the cut up to be honestly. Nokia is holding strong to the WP platform and the new ativ phones don't really have the actual umph behind them to help. they stick to android due to it is a easier platform for them and offer more variety in the long run in profits to gain.
11. papss (Posts: 2192; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
Pretty funny actually. I wonder how well the zoom is selling. I like the idea just not the execution with regards to design.
14. fanboy1974 (Posts: 830; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
Take "Note" Nokia. The Zoom is not the phone to get worried about.
15. Shatter (Posts: 1660; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Zoom has 10x optical zoom the lumia 1020 only has 6x. From what I understand the zoom has better software and doesn't have the cancerous OS that windows 8 is installed on it. While the 1020 camera is better hardware wise at most stuff.
18. tedkord (Posts: 3419; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
That's funny. I'm really liking Nokia ads lately. Shame about the OS.
25. papss (Posts: 2192; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
The OS is fine.. Its a shame the other os uses grid icons from 07... So sad they have no originality
35. Ant34 (Posts: 66; Member since: 10 Aug 2013)
In my opinion, the tile interface is ugly. That's why iOS and Android stick to grids.
37. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
Or maybe they just have no ideas to modernize the grid setup. Apple gets ripped into for staying the same yet android hasnt seen much change either
Wp gave a new way for everyday use. Its easier too then opening a menu and looks more refreshing then static icons and widgets scattered on your screen
Before people say im a wp fanboy im using an s4 with wp8 launcher as I like the setup
41. tedkord (Posts: 3419; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Android doesn't need to change because you can set it up any way you like. My home screen looks nothing like a grid of icons.
Metro is just plain ugly.
54. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
You guys are real dense arent you.
The fact is 90% of android devices are setup in the classic clock widget and menu style. Most of the launchers are so similar now its boring. Showing off saying customisation is limitless on android is bs.
Lets see your homescreen then. ...even buzz launcher just uses cleverly placed icons and wallpapers to give the impression its different. Most of the general usrrs arent willing to jump through all that just to try and make there device appealing.
Metro been ugly is your opinion and the opinion of your fellow fanboys too scared of a new os and closed minded. Apple proved people like a phone that just works out the box.couple that with nokia exclusives like here maps etc and they could suprise many.
Why are android fanboys so attached to the robot yet everything they praise requires tinkering and jumping through hoops. The general market isnt full of fanboys like this site
47. iushnt (Posts: 376; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
that's the beauty of android. You can customize it the way you want. you don't like grid setup then you can change it easily without any rooting :)
19. xtroid2k (Posts: 287; Member since: 11 Jan 2010)
Basically Noka knows how to throw punches aswell. TAKEJA if you don't like Nokia windows phone then you don't have to buy one. As far as corporate ethics; every company has its sour apples; speaking of APPLE. also what about other android phone based manufacturers such as HTC. I think they recently made headlines recently aswell. Closed products: some people like that. And Finally I think the point of this artical exemplifies how one company being one uped by another who's real specualty is cameras.
21. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
So the camera hump on the 1020 isn't big? ok
23. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 910; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
No bigger than the bump on your head...
27. papss (Posts: 2192; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
No near as big as zooms hump. I know you aren't used to holding anything big so its understandable
29. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Another mature kid, place is crawling with them. Poor comedians are going to be out of work today.
Why don't you two face reality, both cameras have huge humps, neither can rag on the other for that.
30. papss (Posts: 2192; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
Firstly im no kid and secondly the zoom looks like total garbage compared to the 1020 and feels way more cheap and finally the zoom even with extra zoom doesn't come close to the picture detail/quality.
32. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Then stop acting like a kid with the immature comments.
Not a fan of either phone, but the 1020 will probably sell more because it's integrated more effectively. At the end of the day, Samsung really doesn't care about this Nokia add, they'll sell 10x more smart phones than Nokia will. Doubt Nokia is even on Samsung's radar, Apple is their primary focus right now.
33. clevername (Posts: 1380; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
its all relative and nokia is using that to its advantage. no the lumia 1020's camera hump isn't big... compared to the s4 zoom. the s4 zoom is very bulky by any standards. the 1020... only by some, and again, relative to the s4 zoom it isn't bulky at all.
its all relative.
comparing it to any other device is irrelevant, because the ad, and the article are, are only comparing these two phones.
40. zuckerboy (Posts: 444; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
and samsung makes fun of selling numbers of lumias lol
42. ddeath (Posts: 145; Member since: 14 Apr 2012)
That's funny, but they are still making millions of losses.
43. google-apple (Posts: 19; Member since: 19 Jul 2013)
Samsung gets a piece of their own cake...
46. Taters (Posts: 1773; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
That is actually really stupid on Nokia's part. It is like a skinny guy with this huge gut making fun of a chubby guy. Or a a guy with a really bad comb over making fun of a guy with a shaved head.
That Nokia hump is horrible because its just big enough to be really noticeable and just small enough to look like it is trying to hide something. While the gs4 zoom makes no pretenses about its hump. It flaunts it
48. nlbates66 (Posts: 133; Member since: 15 Aug 2012)
I believe this is the point where you know someone is a fanboy. :P
51. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
Your pathetic...you have slated every nokia for its size and now suddenly your praising samsung for making a chunky camera and passing it off as a phone
The 808 flaunts its camera hump and produces better quality photo's. So face it you fanboy samsung failed. A camera centric device and its still no better then the older 808.
You have no credibility anyways your a known sammy leg humper
53. Taters (Posts: 1773; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Lol someone is butt hurt and really bad at debating. What I said is true. The Nokia hump is like a comb over while the GS4 Zoom is a shaved head.
The GS4 zoom is a point and shoot and the lumia is some unsightly phone that tries to hide it's hunchback but can't.
56. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
Your an idiot plain and simple. You have been proven wrong on every comment you make yet live in denial. You actually believe the bs you write....I just hope no one takes advice from you on anything
So tell me idiot the 808 doesnt hide the hump in any way...you complained about it but now by your own logic this means the 808 is standing proud and all the bs you stated about it was just that bs.
You will continue to move the goal posts as you are a know nothing sammy fanboy....if samsung are paying you then they deserve there money back your not worth it.
58. Taters (Posts: 1773; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
LOL Yes, I have been proven wrong in every post. LOL Not on my score card, I absolutely destroy you in every thread by my count and the count of anyone with proper reading comprehension and average to above intelligence.
Maybe in your cracked out world of below average intelligence I have been proven wrong but you are straight out a moron and sometimes I wonder why I even reply to you. Does that make me stupid like you? Naw...
59. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
lmao aww you deluded child, you cant destroy anyone. anyone on here see's what you are and you have never added anything of value to this site. always the same boring sammy loving crap.
you say i have below average intelligence yet ive made you look a fool everytime and you have never come back with anything substantial. if i have below average intelligence you must just sit at home licking windows.
you reply as you believe in your deluded reality your somehow winning, you proved with your scorecard comment your immature and believe you ''destroy'' others. this is ofcourse far from the truth. i wouldnt be surprised if your 13 year old thinking he knows it all.
heres your logic '' 808 is too bulky and will never be accepted by the public due to the hump but samsung with there bulkier zoom is perfect and will be massive people will love it because it is proud of its bulkiness''
thats what you basically said and say in your poor excuse for comments. you show your a fanboy and now absolutely nothing.
i put this to you, if the 808 never hid its hump why do you slate it for what you then go and praise the zoom for?
52. Taters (Posts: 1773; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Nothing fanboy about it. The saying go all the way or don't go at all actually applies to a lot of things in life. That is seriously one if the things Nokia and HTC doesn't understand with these weird half humps and stuff like that.
The key is having no compromises when adding a feature. That Nokia hump is a huge compromise for a phone. The GS4 zoom is basically a compact point and shoot with an antenna. The Nokia tries to be a phone with no compromises and fails hard at it with that unsightly hump.
55. Taters (Posts: 1773; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Whether you Nokia humpers like to admit it or not, the GS4 zoom is nothing except an experiment with house money in the same way as the Galaxy beam.
A project car if you will. While the 1020 is Nokia's baby and their daily driver. Anyway you slice it, resorting to comparing your best car with someone's project junk from the junk yard is really really sad. Even by Nokia and HTC standards.