Nokia makes Lumia 525 official: upgraded successor to the best-selling Windows Phone
0. phoneArena 27 Nov 2013, 02:51 posted on
We've posted several leaks about an upcoming successor to the most sold Windows Phone, the Lumia 520, and now it's official on Nokia's website. Lumia 525 indeed comes with 1 GB of RAM, which should ensure smooth sailing with every app that can be found on the Windows Store, and higher general performance...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. aayupanday (Posts: 554; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
Should've been equipped with a 960x540 pixel resolution screen with led flash.
14. hemedans (Posts: 325; Member since: 01 Jun 2013)
it depend on what u want.
lumia has more powerfull processor krait dual core compare to cortex A7 quadcore of moto g
2. they got same gpu and same ram
3. moto g has more advance screen 4.5 720p compare to 480p of lumia with 4 inch
4.you can expand storage up to 64gb in lumia but in moto g you cant
5. lumia 520 in 512 ram is already smooth, 525 will be more smooth with 1gig of ram. android is bit lag with 1gig of ram (i use s3 i9300)
6. 179usd is usa price tag for moto g in third world countries will be priced higher while lumia 180usd tag is for third world country and in usa priced at 99usd or cheaper
16. tech2 (Posts: 2982; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
1. A quad core Cortex A7 is anyday better than last year's less power efficient krait DUAL core. Also its clocked higher.
2. S4 has Adreno 225 and Moto G has adreno 305. which is almost 50% better than adreno 225
4. Agreed. But you do get 65 GB cloud storage with Moto G.
5. I am currently using Moto G and I can assure you its not laggy AT ALL (my S3 was but not this). Its almost a Nexus device. It would be even smoother with Kitkat update in January
6. Lumia 525 will be $199 in US (link below). So Moto G is cheaper.
BTW, you missed these points in favour of Moto G. Larger display, Larger battery, waterproof Nano coating, Gorilla Glass 3, front facing camera, changeable back covers, 326ppi vs 233ppi, etc.
19. nokia12 (Posts: 452; Member since: 19 Nov 2013)
2 things you got wrong..
1)even though this is clocked at 20 % higher than krait.. krait easily beats quad cortex a7 because there is a huge performance gap between cortex a7 and krait almost twice.. both in single and multi thread check linpack .. had it been a 1.7 ghz like mediatek then it would have been a close competition
2) adreno 225 and adreno 305 are same products there is not even slightest of difference between them don't believe what company says check multiple benchmarks.. it's just a rebranded product
21. Shubham412302 (Posts: 338; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
1ghz processor in lumia 525 is powerful than moto g(xperia l has the same chipset check its benchmarks)
its better to choose moto g due to more resolution.
36. cripton805 (Posts: 1161; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
Who cares? Stop splitting hairs. The combination of the front facing camera and flash is the deal breaker.
You can't make a phone less laggy if there isn't any lag. There is something called animations. Which makes phones is supposed to look nice and smoother.
The 1gb of ram on both phones will be used to process apps and they are taking away the use of a heavy ui. Which moto has been good about in recent years.
23. iyngr (Posts: 68; Member since: 14 Jul 2013)
Lacks LED Flash and G comes with 65GB Drive storage
40. Doakie (Posts: 1642; Member since: 06 May 2009)
Well when phones like the 520 get marked down to $59 through AT&T you gotta keep these specs low.
43. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3412; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
Windows doesn't support qHD. WVGA, WXGA, HD, & FHD only.
3. tech2 (Posts: 2982; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Get a Moto G if you want to play almost EVERY top game at affordable price on a very gorgeous and larger display with longer battery life ;)
4. Reality_Check (Posts: 277; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
Not sure what you meant by top games. If you're thinking about GPU intensive games, this does not cut it.
22. nokia12 (Posts: 452; Member since: 19 Nov 2013)
yes it does .. adreno 305 on a lower resolution is a beast ..
consider this onscreen benchmark of gfxbench
samsung galaxy s4 scores 12 fps
moto g scores 11fps
adreno 320, is way more powerful no doubt but that extra power is eaten by 1080p resolutions .. moto g can easily run any game of 2013 even the most demanding ones.. and games in 2014 will be produced keeping galaxy s4 in mind , since this is the best selling android model .. so its safe to say high end games in 2014 will also work without problem .. i am talking about graphic intensive games such as modern combat 5 etc
Adreno 305 on phones like xperia L and Xperia M with an even lower resolution is a kick ass almost same level of performance as a nexus 4 on adreno 320.. these useless 1080p and 2k resolution in future has a negative impact on gaming
32. muhsen (Posts: 275; Member since: 07 Jun 2012)
asphalt 8 runs smoothly on lumia 520.....now with 1 gb of ram...this means every single app and game will run on the lumia 525
the lumia 525 is certainly alot better than moto g....in android every single aspect of the device determines the app compatibility while on wp , its just the ram that determines the app compatibility....for example , if GTA san andreas will be introduced 1 gb ram wp phones, the 525 will run it......the same case is not valid in android....we can see GTA san andreas on an S3 but not on a moto G
37. nokia12 (Posts: 452; Member since: 19 Nov 2013)
that ram restriction of WP can only allow you to install or not install an app .. eg- batmand dark knight can easily run on adreno 305 but wp restriction makes it impossible to install let alone play it.. xperia l/m can easily play batman dark knight..
lumia 520 can't even install it let alone playing
so if san andreas is launched you will be able to play on both android and wp with 1 gb ram but gameplay will be same because they both have same GPU..
you are right that device determines in android but almost all high end games are compatible for Adreno 305 so no problem there with compatibility
41. Doakie (Posts: 1642; Member since: 06 May 2009)
No doubt the 525 will run smooth. The biggest negative about the 525 is that it still lacks Google apps. So it's impossible for a Google user to take it seriously. So I bought a Moto G for my second(T-Mobile) line.
Thinking back about it I should have bought my dad a $80 521 instead of a $50 Alcatel One Touch Evolve. The Evolve is a great phone for $50. I was really impressed. But Android isn't noob friendly like Windows Phone. It's more designed for users who know what their doing so he's kind of lost.
26. mikelemon (Posts: 95; Member since: 21 Nov 2013)
Really? People buy phones to play games now. If you want to play games buy a console or gaming PC. >.>
42. Bernoulli (Posts: 2373; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
Thank you! Even though I have a lumia 1020 I'm still a Sony playstation 3 person lol where you can actually enjoy games!
5. veer.d (Posts: 88; Member since: 12 Jul 2013)
hope they release 725 with 720p,8mp pureview ,1GB with same screen size, price and design.
6. woodshop20 (Posts: 459; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
As affordable as this phone is, Nokia are gonna need a few bigger upgrades on their next model. They've forgotten the Moto G has become a real contender too!
10. mayur007 (Posts: 508; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
but its not having the support of external storage
but ya its a worth every penny
and 525 as well(but os (not a smartphone more of featurephone os who is a smartphone os wanna be) disappoints)
11. woodshop20 (Posts: 459; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
Depends whether you prefer Android or WP. Both run the OS smoothly, but the Moto G is good for a bit more gaming grunt.
IMO the Moto G is better value for having superior specs, but either way you can't really go wrong with both options.
18. tech2 (Posts: 2982; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
but you do get 65GB cloud storage with Google if you buy Moto G.
Not exactly the same as MicroSD facility but good enough...
34. mikelemon (Posts: 95; Member since: 21 Nov 2013)
Also if you have a outlook/Hotmail/live account you get 7GB from skydrive.
Google Drive also gives you extra cloud storage with gmail account.
12. quyenqchau0813 (unregistered)
Still no front camera TT_TT
29. Snoobab (Posts: 175; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
How often have you used a front facing camera? :)
47. quyenqchau0813 (unregistered)
once a day, does that count as enough to have one?
13. shadez10 (Posts: 408; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
LED flash is still missing... it would be great with it.
30. Snoobab (Posts: 175; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Entry-level device. They need to differentiate. Get the 620/625 if you want a flash :)
17. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3500; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Nice update, could have been more better.
27. mikelemon (Posts: 95; Member since: 21 Nov 2013)
Lol the grammar in here. MORE BETTER=MORE EXPENSIVE.
28. mikelemon (Posts: 95; Member since: 21 Nov 2013)
Sigh, $100 more USD for 512MB more ram than the 520 I have. Totally not worth the upgrade.
31. darkvadervip (Posts: 363; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
Here we go with the specs battle! Just like what platform you like because at the end of the day it's proven no matter what the specs are it's about the platform.
33. mikelemon (Posts: 95; Member since: 21 Nov 2013)
On phonearena that would be android. Almost everybody that comes to this site is an android fanboy
35. muhsen (Posts: 275; Member since: 07 Jun 2012)
the lumia 525 is certainly alot better than moto g....in android every single aspect of the device determines the app compatibility while on wp , its just the ramthat determines the app compatibility....for example , if GTA san andreas will be introduced 1 gb ram wp phones, the 525 will run it......the same case is not valid in android....we can see GTA san andreas on an S3 but not on a moto G
btw the processor in the lumia 525 is also alot better than that of moto g. it has nothing to do with quadcore or duel core...it mostly is about architecture...the A7 in the moto g is quite old and can't stand a chance in front of the relatively new Krait architecture.
i think nokia has hit the nail on motorola's coffin . Most people want apps ( which the 525 guarantees with its 1 gb ram as there's a single app that won't run on the 525 but the same can't be said to moto G thanks to android nature) and extra storage option up to 64 GB ( i am talking globally where in many regions cloud storage is far from being a solution). Moto G has definitely a better screen but it can't stand a chance in front of the 525 as its now in the same league of 920,925 ,1020 and 1520 in terms of apps and games compatibility while Moto G is definitely far from having the same apps and games compatibility of Moto X.
38. alpinejason (Posts: 262; Member since: 06 Sep 2011)
Yeah here come all the fanboys I'm just gonna kick back drink a beer or two and watch them battle it out
39. taikucing (unregistered)
Moto G will beat this
44. Taters (Posts: 4667; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Should just rebrand all the Lumia 920's and windows phone 8x that are collecting dust in the warehouses. HTC might not sell the 8x remaining stock to Nokia but I am sure they can cut their losses on the 920.
46. 7thspaceman (Posts: 1336; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
this is a good smart phone for a person to try Windows Phone OS out because you wont have to spend a lot of dough to buy one or sign a contract to use it on some carriers.but People have to realize it's limitations compared to a Lumia 920 1020.
48. cpp_still_rocks (Posts: 1; Member since: 03 Dec 2013)
braindead moto fans.
moto g has A7 which is worse than krait in 525 and both have the same gpu. With that lumia is going to cost a lot less than moto in 3rd world countries. Moreover moto has a larger screen with higher pixel density which would require beefier hardware. Good luck with your super slow virtual machines while ART is still in development.