Nokia made more money from Apple than from selling phones last quarter
0. phoneArena 27 Apr 2012, 03:58 posted on
An insider familiar with the terms of the patent licensing deal between Nokia and Apple, said the settlement deal brought the Finnish phone maker $600 million last quarter...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. RobotMan (Posts: 144; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
"Redmond giant will swoop in at some point to add to its patent war chest, or acquire total control of the Finns' smartphone business in some way"
2. plgladio (Posts: 314; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Why Apple is not interested to buy it for a huge cash rather?
8. 99n100 (Posts: 16; Member since: 06 Apr 2012)
What's make you think that Nokia will sell since it is a cash cow?
9. plgladio (Posts: 314; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
What about paying more than they need, they are accepting now since they are not running business in that cash, but they are slowly coming down in market, so they might need more money to run.. In that way I thought about selling the patents.
12. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
And what Nokia will gona do without the patents?
21. 99n100 (Posts: 16; Member since: 06 Apr 2012)
I don't think Nokia will be so desperately to sell their assest now, otherwise, their credit rating will drop more drastically.
4. raunak (Posts: 507; Member since: 12 Oct 2011)
i really want nokia to be successful again..nokia has already lost half of its identity and i'll really hate it if MS totally acquires nokia's smartphone business
7. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
In mine opinion MS really can do that.
10. plgladio (Posts: 314; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
That also might happen, saying they need a mobile company.
Like how they acquired Skype..
13. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Agree, also Nokia has a lot patents.
15. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
Ms has higer potential then just gettnig Nokia it can go for APPLe as well in future since everyone is paying MS in some way even Apple and android
14. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Another company in the same position as Nokia (large collection of patents being licensed) is MS. MS is making more off licensing from Android handset manufacturers than they are making from WP license fees. If MS bagged WP and just focused on their licensing, they would have a better financial result.
20. Penny (Posts: 1625; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Or, you know, they could do both. Which they are now.
22. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
MS has dropped probably close to $2 billion on all iterations of their mobile OS (it might be more, since MS ain't fessing up). One article I read asserted that MS makes approximately $500 million/year in licensing fees paid by Android manufacturers. If MS had passed on their mobile OS, they would have a net profit of at least $1 billion to show for their licensing efforts in the mobile space. Instead, they have maybe broken even.
16. mercorp (Posts: 1005; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
NOKIA GOT $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$....
19. Yassham (Posts: 28; Member since: 09 Jan 2011)
If Nokia has $14 billion and Microsoft has $60 billion , Apple tops with $80 billion !