Nokia holds commanding overall market share lead in India, Samsung the challenger
In 2012, 221 million handsets were sold in India, with growth fueled by the smartphone development, representing a 20% growth rate overall.
Smartphones are still a small portion of the market however, just about 7%, but that category saw growth of over 35% last year alone. Feature phones still own the market and continue to grow as well, with sales up 20%.
Who is selling all these phones? Most of them are Nokias. With 21.8% market share overall, Nokia sits on top with Samsung a distant second at 13.7%. When broken down by category, Nokia owns the feature phone segment at roughly 22% versus Samsung at 11%.
The tables turn in the smartphone category though, Samsung leads by a whopping 43% market share compared to Nokia’s 13.3%. Sony holds third at 8%. Nokia’s strategy to keep its affordable feature line is helping to keep the lights on for sure. While Nokia’s success with Windows Phone on the Lumia line-up can be debated one way or the other, there is no doubt that the efforts are planting the seed. What will ultimately grow from that remains to be seen.
source: Times of India
1. Tarzan (Posts: 63; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
"In 2012, 221 handsets were sold in India, with growth fueled by the smartphone development, representing a 20% growth rate overall".
I guess you meant 221 Million handsets.
2. kvk066 (Posts: 18; Member since: 27 Feb 2013)
'In 2012, 221 handsets were sold in India' - Please correct the obvious typo...it should say 221 Million handsets...
3. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Nokia still builds better phones than Sammy, and it's only a matter of time before their Lumia smartphones obtain success not only in India, but everywhere else as well...
25. Muzhhur (Posts: 258; Member since: 14 Sep 2012)
Im already have my Lumia, its fall apart for any OS, make it simple, make it fast is what my Lumia does
31. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
11. kazuya (Posts: 4; Member since: 03 Apr 2013)
let have some sammy cocktail for applausing Nokia :)
12. valliant (Posts: 1; Member since: 19 Jan 2013)
From the past and to the future.. Nokia still the best among of them (Apple, Samsung, Sony, Htc, etc.)
20. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Don't forget Micromax!
-Made In India :)
22. asingha94 (Posts: 295; Member since: 08 Apr 2012)
Micromax is fresh new born baby & doing very well...
23. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
I don't know why, but Micromax smartphones give me a true "Indian" feel, just like Sony smartphones, it give me a true "Japanese" feel.
Does this sound stupid? lol
24. smartphone (Posts: 160; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)
Dude micromax imports Chinese phones and sold them by their brand name almost all Indian mobile companies does that.
they even don't have any manufacturing plant just offices in India.
26. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Oh really? I thought Micromax smartphones were made in India.
27. Cyan3boN (Posts: 439; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
Not all the phones. their flagships are designed in india
13. shreehari (Posts: 45; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
nokia controls the phone industry [except smartphone]
nokias back in business @samsung fan bitches
15. Rehankhan (Posts: 323; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
idiot phone industry is not anymore about making a feature phone
its about making a beast smartphone
28. lubba (Posts: 1313; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
We're ultimately seeing 20% seed grow in India. Blind to your own words.
And I'm back you %7:-8?* b85:(3#!!!!!
29. roscuthiii (Posts: 2004; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
I see a lot of wishful thinking on the Nokia fans' part... feature phones serve an affordable purpose, but they really need to get the smartphone ball rolling.
Otherwise, it's like bringing the most bayonets to a battlefield rife with the instruments of modern combat.
30. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
Nokia will be back in action very soon. Apps is the major drawback of WP. I hope 2013 will be lucky for NOKIA
33. rkoforever90 (Posts: 120; Member since: 03 Dec 2011)
nokia has a good chance of come back in 2013 with devices like lumia 520,620 etc which is priced very competitively.