Nokia Lumia Icon unboxing and hands-on
NOTE: This isn't an unboxing of the retail Nokia Lumia Icon box that's going to be sold to consumers. What we're dealing with here is the special packaging that's send to media outlets!
It’s not every day we’re delivered a phone that’s encased within a Pelican storm case, so you know it’s something serious. So when our eyes feasted on it for the first time, our interest was instantly piqued upon its arrival – more so when the water tight case has the word “ICON” splashed right across the top of it. Needless to say, we were totally taken by surprise by all of grandeur, especially when it’s following after the Lumia 1520.
We’re baffled by the packaging! It’s like something super rare or expensive were being transported, but as a whole, we’re thoroughly impressed by the whole presentation. Unlocking the gigantic thing, which we might add has some serious weight to it, we’re instantly greeted to a foam padded compartment. In addition to the handset in question, the package included a pair of hot rod red Monster Purity Pro headphones. And of course, all the typical documentation, charging cables, and wall adapters were found inside as well.
Strangely, as we dug deeper into the Pelican storm case, we began to realize something else was supposed to happen upon opening it for the first time. Removing all of the padded foam, the interior of the main compartment is lined with what appears to be LEDs – with wires that ultimately led to us uncovering the battery compartment. From the looks of it, the outline of the case was intended to glow in a fashionable Verizon red color, to accent the unboxing process of course.
Placing our attention on the phone, we’ll quickly say a few things after checking it out briefly. First, it follows similarly to the Lumia 925 from before, as it sports a sturdy metallic frame around its sides – though, the phone as a whole seems boxier. Secondly, it features a sharp 5-inch 1080p OLED display with ClearBlack technology, which beats the Lumia 1520 when it comes to pixel density. And lastly, unlike the 1020 and 1520 before it, the Lumia Icon’s 20-megapixel PureView camera is flush with the surrounding surface.
Will it live up to be an icon? We’ll surely find out if it can achieve that status as we test it out further for our in-depth review. In the meantime, though, you can check our video below to see step-by-step unboxing process.
Nokia Lumia Icon unboxing (non-retail box)
23. aaronkatrini (Posts: 239; Member since: 06 Jun 2012)
...if only was android instead of wp! nothing would be more beautiful thing...
32. apple4never (Posts: 974; Member since: 08 May 2013)
i dont think youve seen the htc m8 or the z
43. mokhtar (Posts: 268; Member since: 06 Jan 2014)
yeah bro truuue .. i want to buy one seriously .. but i cant leave sony+android unfortunattly :(
26. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
Wow @ 1080p OLED screen.
13. akki20892 (Posts: 3651; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
And if it falls on your head, your head will be two pieces.
19. Johnnokia (Posts: 559; Member since: 27 May 2012)
Great answer for that troll
16. Bernoulli (Posts: 1569; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
much rather something sturdy than a plastic body
30. brrunopt (Posts: 552; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
you mean a aluminum ? mot people put plastic cases or theirs aluminum phone "of suposed better quality"
34. Bernoulli (Posts: 1569; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
*an aluminium.... only a wireless charging case, at least those who own a Lumia 925 that I know of, since it doesn't come with qi like the Lumia 920, or what phone are you talking about that has an aluminium body?
4. Kishin (Posts: 647; Member since: 30 May 2013)
Damn its so beautiful, well made and specs made.
8. hassoups (Posts: 383; Member since: 06 Jun 2013)
It's about time Nokia learnt how to make a thin phone, only thing holding me back. It's 2014 for God's sake.
9. god996 (Posts: 17; Member since: 27 Oct 2013)
Well who needs a phone that may bend into a boomerang shape when you put it in your back pocket anyway. And after all this phone is not even thick.
33. hassoups (Posts: 383; Member since: 06 Jun 2013)
I've had iPhones and galaxy's that never bent one bit and both are considerably thinner than this. And yes, there is a huge difference in thickness; whether you wish to see it is a whole different story.
39. elitewolverine (Posts: 2052; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
yea because the s4 and its snap 600 is so 2014...not to mention even endgaget stated the s4 as underwhelming and rushed. I don't want rushed. Especially in my work, s4's left and right being exchanged. So frustrating.
10. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
This is hands down the sexiest phone and packaging i've ever seen. Keep up the good work Nokia/MS. And also please release an international version. :D
11. decent4u (Posts: 74; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
This looks AWESOME!!!!
I would have bought it if it had android OS.
No offence to windows phone fans but I'm not into windows mobile phones.
17. Bernoulli (Posts: 1569; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
hey it's all about choice in the end, I used to be an android fan (that's why my avatar is android 18, but I never changed it) but I switched, android is not for everybody, neither is iOS or windows or blackberry, now sailfish that's a different story, jk competition!
25. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
Why not Android 16??
35. Bernoulli (Posts: 1569; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
Android 16 was a raw product, even doctor maki didn't want to release him because he was unfinished, while android 18 is just plain gorgeous.
12. shyguy3763 (Posts: 49; Member since: 27 Oct 2013)
I wish they'd stop with the store exclusives,I'd LOVE to see this phone with Sprint and T-Mobile
15. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2010; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
So it comes with Monster headphones? Niceeeee
20. s_boy (Posts: 15; Member since: 30 Nov 2013)
If Nokia dont release this worldwide they will miss out big time, it's the kind of phone that will convert android and iphone users to Nokia/Windows.
27. cleat-glitch (Posts: 109; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
the only unboxing that lights dont work
31. snowgator (Posts: 3288; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Wow... what a case... what a phone. Love this thing. Will begin holding my breathe until AT&T brings me one.
40. Nabil2511 (Posts: 149; Member since: 27 Jan 2014)
nice design.. it would be better if it was slimmer..
41. najib1312 (Posts: 102; Member since: 08 May 2013)
That looks like Xperia SP, save for the Transparent LED strip.
45. lanlaymt (Posts: 4; Member since: 29 May 2013)
omg, lovely device. And box..... gr8 work Nokia ^_^