Nokia Lumia 920 vs Galaxy S III: toy car test flaunts the virtues of optical image stabilization
0. phoneArena 21 Sep 2012, 05:36 posted on
The ride has been much bumpier for the Galaxy S III, it seems, when comparing the final results, as the Lumia 920 video stayed pretty fixed at all times, aided by the suspensions mechanism around the 920 camera module, which can compensate for up to 500 movements per second...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. amiaq (Posts: 509; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
We are going to get those feature next time. ;)
7. whysoserious (Posts: 318; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
lol I think I heard that somewhere before.
52. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
here's a more precise video about the Lumia 920.. video about the car is in here plus more features!!!
9. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
I would love to see the OIS to other devices as well, but I think it would take years to reach other devices, for unlike nokia, other OEM really cares about the thickness of their phones.
15. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1178; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
who gives a crap about thickness it's all about the features and the cool techy stuff and you wouldn't be saying that if the sgs3 was thick it's the only thing all you guys hold against the lumia 920
19. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
HAHAHAHAHA You're funny dude, hatin' all the way without reading and comprehending what I just commented.
Read it again, i must say. Stop the hate, I'm just stating that "OTHER OEMs REALLY CARE ABOUT THE THICKNESS!" I don't mind having a thick phone. That's what I want.
I love lumia 920 even if I don't own one. And I think it's the most innovative phone to date. You're being ridiculous.
23. -box- (Posts: 3991; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Looking at the videos of it in-hand, it really doesn't seem that thick. There also aren't reactions of "Sweet rampaging squirrels, this is heavy!", either. Are other devices thinner and lighter? Sure. Do a lot of those same devices wind up encased in some thick ugly shell, rendering their thinness and design irrelevant? Yes they do.
30. DonkeySauce (Posts: 194; Member since: 03 Dec 2011)
Why did it seem like it was so hard to figure out how to play a video on the Nokia?
32. Glim12808 (Posts: 394; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
It's not hard if you know how to operate a WP7 camera/video since the interface is similar to WP8. The guy actually started taking a new video intead of swiping from the left to the right to bring out the video they had just taken from the toy car. Right away I knew he was new to Windows Phone. LOL!
2. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Or, you can buy an L920 when it becomes available.
3. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
My God, The Lumia's Camera really is amazing.
4. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2275; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
Nice,,, it really is , the real deal,,, Nokia+1
5. valapsp (Posts: 557; Member since: 12 Aug 2011)
2 aspects of INNOVATION: 1) Experiment tool (The toy car) 2) Lumia's camera
8. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
TRUE TRUE! remove the noise from the toy car and you'll have a good video cam for creating a small video clips or mini movies. :D
6. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Hands Down! Nokia win, but seeing how that guy struggle to get the video play on Nokia, is kinda unproductive.
10. azri05 (unregistered)
lol. he is new with wp.
11. juanyunis (Posts: 73; Member since: 31 Aug 2012)
Why the S3 doesn't have enabled the image stabilisation feature? seems pretty unfair this test. I love the new Lumia 920 (except for the lack of the micro-sd and being so thick) but i wanna get more impressed with the results in a fair match :).
12. StephenGalop (Posts: 52; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
here comes the typical sheep, screaming "unfair", "doesn't count", "Nokia sucks"
18. aoikemono27 (Posts: 177; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
I wouldn't be calling other people sheep when Nokia has its own Finnish colored sheep going baaa baaa all over. I wonder who has been keeping Symbian alive all this time? Baaa Baaa.
21. Oxygen (Posts: 125; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
What is so "sheepish" about his comment?
Come on, don't be such a biased jerk.
39. juanyunis (Posts: 73; Member since: 31 Aug 2012)
The man is the proper angry fanboy who cannot tolerate an unbiased comment about his favorite mobile device.
38. juanyunis (Posts: 73; Member since: 31 Aug 2012)
Oh yeah, i'm a fanboy of android, which doesn't have one right now. First, i like Android very much, but i've an iPhone 4S because i'm a developer, i sold my galaxy s2. I'm planning to get this Nokia with a Note 2, and have both for development.
40. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
do u get free phones for development or it was just a rumors i heard
49. juanyunis (Posts: 73; Member since: 31 Aug 2012)
well, to be honest i don't get those devices for free, but i consider it an investment, because that enable me to be able to work for customers that needs apps for a specify platform, also i'm working on my own apps and i want to be able to make these apps cross platform. Emulators are good, but not as good as hardware device.
For example android emulator, is not that fast and accurate for games. iOS Emulator doesn't provide good solutions for GPS tracking.
33. Glim12808 (Posts: 394; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
I'm sure the digital image stabilisation was on in the S3 otherwise the video taken would have been worse from the way the toy car was jumping around.
14. fervid (Posts: 183; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
They should have shot their Test Video with a Nokia. The camera they used isn't even as good as a phone.
16. aokde (Posts: 186; Member since: 09 Jul 2012)
come on, someone should compare the video stabilization on the lumia 920 and sony's cameras :\ why no one compare sony vs nokia :@
17. Dunknown (Posts: 84; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
Nokia got the best camera phone in the world and world most innovative phone
20. aoikemono27 (Posts: 177; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
You can tell its an AMOLED screen since it looks so blue. The floor also turns into a blur while the Nokia stays pretty bright and sharp looking. Nokia better enjoy this coup while they can. Samsung is known for adapting very quickly. The S4 will probably have OIS as well, but thinner.
28. astronot (Posts: 17; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Samsung and HTC are simply copying most Nokia and Apple come up with. The only advantage they have is their ability to manufacture cheaper because they are located right in the centre of cheap labour countries. But still, copycats remain copycats with lesser overall quality.
34. Glim12808 (Posts: 394; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
It took years for Nokia to develop OIS or "floating lens". I don't think Samsung can copy it just like that. Unlike Digital Image Stabilisation which is purely software driven, Nokia's approach is mostly hardware driven. Although I am sure it has its software component.
24. Bfrenz (Posts: 112; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
You're right Stephen,ADAPTING? PureView is not just an icon that can have in future S4. Its a combination of lots of algorithms and hardware gurus' works.
26. praveen_1221 (Posts: 4; Member since: 14 Sep 2012)
well , i'm seeing at the user friendly UI of the S3 to open video, even the demonstrator struggled to open and play nokia video not once but more than thrice.
29. astronot (Posts: 17; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Wrong. I own a Lumia 800 and it is really easy to play an video in WP. Slide to the video you want, then touch the play button. The one demonstrating this video just was clumpsy in opening the vid.
35. Glim12808 (Posts: 394; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
It is easy if you are familiar with WP7 because the interface is similar to WP8. The guy actually started to take another video by mistake. He should have swiped from left to right to bring out the video taken from the toy car.
41. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
i find wp most easy to make play videos and taking pictures u dont even have to press back key or any thing at all just sweep left after u take the pic and picture/Video gallery is just a milisecond away or a sweep away from camera mode and you can zoom out and see the pics and the camera screen same time and this is not even in android till ICS i think or IOS
27. snowgator (Posts: 3583; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
They both looked better than the camera the guy was holding... fading in and out of focus and all shakey...
920 for the win. Not exactly the type of test which will hold up to professional standards, but a clear win. Be fun to see the camera loving mobile users get a hold of this and really put it through the motions.
37. Bfrenz (Posts: 112; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
Apple products are made in in the centre of
cheap labour countries.
42. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
lol yes and they still call it "BUILD QUALITY IS AWSOME" forgetting its made in china
53. satanrules (Posts: 19; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
Made in china doesn't mean crappy built quality.
43. Rayvelynn (Posts: 124; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Ok but look at the time it takes just to pull up a video on the Lumia, #nothanks
46. Glim12808 (Posts: 394; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
All you need to do is flick or swipe from left to right to bring out pictures/videos just taken in WP7WP8. How difficult can that be?! The guy obviously did not know how to use a Windows Phone because he instead tapped the screen and started to take a new video by mistake. By your comment you obviously don't know how easy it is to operate the camera/video of a Windows Phone either.
50. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
lol at your comment fails everywhere.. and that hashtag bullcrap? you've just made your self a d**k. a d**k dipped in bullcrap
44. ryan5609 (Posts: 107; Member since: 01 Nov 2011)
This demo really could have been executed much better. Maybe an actual side by side video of the footage not viewed directly from the phone. Syncing the video would have also been a nice touch.
51. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
they made a new one more sync'ed. just view it on their youtube page.
48. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
nokia lumia 920 nailed it!!!