Nokia Lumia 920 low light shots vs iPhone 5 vs Galaxy S III vs HTC One X vs 808 PureView
0. phoneArena posted on 29 Oct 2012, 04:26
The Nokia Lumia 920 was pitted against the iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S III, HTC One X, and the 41 MP Nokia PureView 808 photographic juggernaut. The improvised testing was done on the streets of Helsinki, and the authors used every trick the phones had, shooting in normal, HDR and low light modes, if the phones had them, then posting the best result for comparison...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. crapdroid666 posted on 29 Oct 2012, 04:27 0 15
why is the galaxy s3 considered a rival to iphone5?
8. wendygarett posted on 29 Oct 2012, 04:58 7 2
and why is the iphone 5 considered a rival to nokia pureview 808 LOLOL
16. infernal88 posted on 29 Oct 2012, 05:09 9 0
camera wise 808 is way better than both of them
25. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 29 Oct 2012, 06:30 1 1
Hmm, 920 pics are much better even than 808, something fishy again?
33. haseebzahid posted on 29 Oct 2012, 07:25 7 1
look closly 808 image quality is best but light quality is better on 920 just look at water reflection in first set of pictures 808 is better image quality with very low noise but light capturing of 920 is better
3. zippolite28 posted on 29 Oct 2012, 04:42 9 1
LUMIA 920 is SEXY ... Best Cam .. Best Touch ... Good Screen ... But i dont mind buying it if it is powerful enough with real gr8 apps and games .... I Like WPOS but lack of apps is one big backdrop .... how for windows phone 8 we see good apps and Games with low price :-)
6. zippolite28 posted on 29 Oct 2012, 04:55 0 0
** Hope for windows phone 8 we see good apps and Games with low price :-)
13. neutralguy posted on 29 Oct 2012, 05:04 5 0
i would love to see temple run, instagram, nba 2k13, nfs most wanted, halo 4 on the marketplace :(
40. -box- posted on 29 Oct 2012, 12:26 0 0
Per the announcement, looks like you'll be in luck for some of them.
44. neutralguy posted on 30 Oct 2012, 00:13 0 0
true,, temple run would be there. but gad, i love to see instagram in a nokia phone. This is what nokia must look for. With instagram they could send a message to everyone that they have the best camera phone evurrrr
45. pikapowerize (banned) posted on 30 Oct 2012, 00:19 0 0
awww....temple run!!! that would be awesome!!!
but i dont know about instagram being metro/modern-fied!
i dont know how to feel... will i be happy or angry and annoyed by the metrofied instagram!!
but one thing for sure..the instagram of BlackBerry and Symbian called MoloMe is coming to WP!!!
46. neutralguy posted on 30 Oct 2012, 00:25 0 0
MoloMe is cool. I've used it but the thing is, it's not that popular compared to instagram. Instagram is a medium to let everyone know that nokia 920's camera is one of the best camera phone in the market.
47. pikapowerize (banned) posted on 30 Oct 2012, 00:47 0 0
yeah... but as for me, i dont need what is the "Medium" to take photo and share it online with the likes of facebook and twitter!
this is what's wrong with people! we dont need instagram to take cool and awesome photos! coz if you ask me, i rather use the "share" button on the gallery than using instagram!
instagram will not replace real awesome photos! what instagram's doing is just adding filter...
"Instagram is a medium to let everyone know that nokia 920's camera is one of the best camera phone in the market."
in general, so kailangan mo ba talagang magka instagram so that people will know that 920's camera is better?
34. haseebzahid posted on 29 Oct 2012, 07:27 1 0
agree on u but think realiztically apps dont come before the platform comes out :\ seriously if u say its a year now and we still dont see 100k apps then u may got a point but now its ur imagination and it is imposible to instantly add 500k apps over night beside android took 5 years now to reah 500-600k apps
4. neutralguy posted on 29 Oct 2012, 04:46 6 1
what's that ISO for iphone 5's photo. Gad, I guess it's too damn high that it ruined the quality. Good performance for one X. :)
5. _Bone_ posted on 29 Oct 2012, 04:46 5 1
Is it just me or the 920 'overexposes' night shots? These photos are unnaturally illuminated, the 808 does a much 'purer' job. In fact for the eye it looks Nokie simply uses a SW effect to brighten up the 808ish results which is disappointing and nothing more but a media stunt. The 808 is solid enough in the dark and I prefer my shots natural, the 920 overcooks it.
7. darkskoliro posted on 29 Oct 2012, 04:58 1 1
I feel ya, it seems as if my eyes wouldnt even see that much light in the 920 shots. But honestly solid effort.
12. zippolite28 posted on 29 Oct 2012, 05:03 5 0
I kinda feel same bro … but u always have an option in camera to low down light by reducing ISO light :-P
10. neutralguy posted on 29 Oct 2012, 05:00 1 1
they should test it with a moving object like a car to see if it really is a result of long exposure time.
11. darkskoliro posted on 29 Oct 2012, 05:02 1 1
Can someone explain why we havent gone to the stage of increasing the shutter time/exposure time in camera phones?
14. neutralguy posted on 29 Oct 2012, 05:05 2 0
battery consumption? bigger module? dunno really, maybe if nokia pursue the graphene sensor, this would be pureview phase 3/4? :)
22. _Bone_ posted on 29 Oct 2012, 05:21 2 0
Most phones actually increase shutter time in low lights, but it's counter-productive because it increases handshake blur.
27. Nathan_ingx posted on 29 Oct 2012, 06:38 2 0
Well, if we had the option of manually adjusting the shutter speed and focal length on phones...why on earth would SLRs and DSLRs exist??
On the other hand, i think the possibility is not that far away. With the 808 and 920 creeping close to the result of DSLRs...the future for camera phones is strong.
31. zippolite28 posted on 29 Oct 2012, 06:54 1 0
i accept nokia have done real good job and not close to dslr Performance
35. Nathan_ingx posted on 29 Oct 2012, 07:35 0 0
Yes, i agree...
But what i'm trying to say is, what Nokia has is definitely an improvement in camera phone tech and is inching close to DSLRs. I'm not comparing 808 and 920 with DSLRs, i'm comparing them with other camera phones.
37. -box- posted on 29 Oct 2012, 09:23 0 1
That can mostly be done on the 808 (and N8, too, if I am not mistaken)
39. neutralguy posted on 29 Oct 2012, 12:00 0 0
n8 user. and i definitely hate its camera performance on lowlight condition. trust me, just tested it earlier.
41. -box- posted on 29 Oct 2012, 12:27 1 0
The adjustment of ISO and such^
9. wendygarett posted on 29 Oct 2012, 04:59 1 3
It's sad that iphone is not the best camera here, oh well, on the live :(
26. chaoticrazor posted on 29 Oct 2012, 06:33 4 1
No its not, iPhone never has been the best camera phone so its no surprise.
17. Non_Sequitur posted on 29 Oct 2012, 05:10 3 0
Wow, the 920 is awesome. I underestimated the Pureview sensor compared to the 808. It's about the same quality, if not a little better.
24. infernal88 posted on 29 Oct 2012, 06:11 1 0
yea only at night shots ..havent u noticed all samples are night shots? ..cuz other wise it will produce about normal day shots ...so in my opinion 808 still on top
42. -box- posted on 29 Oct 2012, 12:28 0 0
For daily use I'd take both, still smaller, lighter, and less bulky than lugging around a DSLR, flash rig, lenses, tripod, etc
If I were going on a photo shoot, I'd take along the DSLR and all its goodies, and possibly use the Nokias for setting up shots
18. _Bone_ posted on 29 Oct 2012, 05:13 0 0
Okay, I 'shopped the 808's brightness level to the 920's, while luminance is roughly the same so it looks like the 920 does the same SW job, color balance is better on the 808. A pity the Lumia gets SW treatment and is sold 'revolutionary', I'd prefer having stock photos and no false campaign. The 808 is revolutionary, the 920 just has a well made camera with after-effect in night shots.
30. dexter_jdr posted on 29 Oct 2012, 06:43 0 0
920 captures yellowy pictures.. dont know if it is bad or good.
i assume the boat is color white- where 808 shows it.
but 920 shows it a little bit yellowy- i guess its because of the yellow emitting street lights which 920 makes use of it to improve night shots.
19. infernal88 posted on 29 Oct 2012, 05:14 4 0
my opinion is
3-one X " althought the pic feels a bit smudged at times "
4/5 galaxy S3/iphone 5 " they both almost the same some pics is better on S3 and the others are better on iphone so i call it a tie "
20. Nathan_ingx posted on 29 Oct 2012, 05:14 0 0
All the results are not that bad...
And there's a significant difference in the shots but i do feel that the 920's shot look 'colour-dead'.
21. twens posted on 29 Oct 2012, 05:17 2 2
The s3 also did a great job. It was better than Iphone5
23. astronot posted on 29 Oct 2012, 06:04 4 0
Based on the shots in this article, the Lumia 920 simply has the best low light imgages. Compared to the other phones the Lumia 920 might seem a bit overexposured. However, this is due to the poor low light performance of the other phones. The human eye in low light situations adapts quite easy and the Lumia 920 comes very near to that view.
Both 808 and 920 have impressive low light colorbalancing. Pictures with other devices have poor low light colorbalances, containing too much red or green.
Imho, the lumia 920 is a clear winner.
29. zhypher_23 posted on 29 Oct 2012, 06:40 1 0
Picture #17 really blew me away, this phone is getting close to DSLR.
32. RedFox posted on 29 Oct 2012, 07:20 1 3
i can not really trust nokia anymore , specifically with 920 . the pics is literally awesome , but who can confirm it is the real deal not a tricky pic or video like the one they published previously " by mistake " .
36. osanilevich posted on 29 Oct 2012, 09:11 0 0
Lumia 920 is great with lighting but it looks a bit washed out. I like the htc one x the best
38. marchels14 posted on 29 Oct 2012, 09:38 1 0
good job Nokia best camera phone out there. one of the best.
43. pikapowerize (banned) posted on 30 Oct 2012, 00:09 0 0
nokia 808 pureview is still the best camera phone out there...while lumia 920 is best in low light pictures!!!
hope nokia will give an update to 808 with OIS (if they could)
this just prove that s3 is a s**tty camera phone!!! samsung should better make a move now.. i mean they make compact camera but why they cant make a good camera phone?
48. allen83 posted on 30 Oct 2012, 08:17 0 0
Lumia 920 photos are much more like it was process photo. compared to pureview 808, pureview 808 is a much more detailed photo and produce much more natural colors.