Nokia Lumia 920: is it what you were hoping for?
0. phoneArena posted on 05 Sep 2012, 11:26
To no surprise, the Nokia Lumia 920 was publicly announced today, thus officially becoming the company's Windows Phone 8 flagship device. And to some extent, it is the smartphone we expected to see, with the iconic Lumia design, PureView camera with Carl Zeiss optics, huge, high-resolution display, and fast, dual-core processor. But are you happy with what the smartphone turned out to be? Cast your vote in our poll...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. hung2900 posted on 05 Sep 2012, 11:30 16 15
Good specs, good camera, but... 185 grams and 10.5mm thickness? No, thanks. I need something handy for a normal day.
6. 305Bucko posted on 05 Sep 2012, 11:35 23 14
Ativ S? no thanks, if I were to get any windows phone it would be Nokia, atleast I know that if it ends up sucking, I can still use it as a hammer =D
10. rainyday posted on 05 Sep 2012, 11:37 20 9
I suggest you buy an Ativ S and a hammer.
19. Wiki_jaan posted on 05 Sep 2012, 11:48 7 4
lol .... ok than buy ativ s and a hammer ...... lol
38. kartik4u98 posted on 05 Sep 2012, 13:09 7 2
You're right..I'll also go with Nokia if I would ever want to buy a Windows phone..
I like Samsung(see the phones Im having)
but Nokia always attracts me..!
43. Wiki_jaan posted on 05 Sep 2012, 13:43 3 1
dude i am nokia fan untill i used n95 and still have.
but after this nokia start creating disasters like n96,n97,n900 etc
12. neutralguy posted on 05 Sep 2012, 11:39 13 6
I really like my phone a little thick and heavy.
23. neutralguy posted on 05 Sep 2012, 11:53 4 1
no not really dude.
39. kartik4u98 posted on 05 Sep 2012, 13:10 2 2
leave it...Wiki_jaan is a f*** tRoLL..
44. Wiki_jaan posted on 05 Sep 2012, 13:47 2 1
calling truth a troll .....
14. CharlieAtInfinity posted on 05 Sep 2012, 11:42 3 6
185 grams??? No thanks Nokia... I cant handle my galaxy note.. then I can forget this... maybe a smaller and thinner phone will do.
27. hateftotti posted on 05 Sep 2012, 12:19 6 1
WoW.The weight of Ativ S with 4.8 inches display is just 135gr but it is 185 gr with 4.5 inches display.No microSD slot.Here is why Samsung win all the games;)
34. Diego! posted on 05 Sep 2012, 13:00 4 1
I agree, besides Samsung ATIV S has microSD support, which Nokia 920 lacks. And since I will be paying lots of money to get a new phone, I'd rather choose the one that has more options available :)
36. noim1 posted on 05 Sep 2012, 13:05 1 4
That's why you can use Nokia & play football with it ..... Nokia always has premium ,great quality materials & best build quality.....
49. ogy_dogy posted on 05 Sep 2012, 14:43 1 4
that is why the attiv is a toy compared to a nokia tank, i like to smash samsungs with my lumia, literally :)
50. saiki4116 posted on 05 Sep 2012, 14:45 3 0
the weight is nearly same as the Galaxy note....
58. denied911 (banned) posted on 05 Sep 2012, 18:23 1 0
yep, even note 2 is 5 grams lighter!
and it has 5.5" screen and 3100 battery
21. SteveWozzENIAC posted on 05 Sep 2012, 11:51 8 1
Why do i get "thumb down" votes.... because i can't wait to buy this yellow beauty ???
Haters SUCK (Big time)
26. techspace posted on 05 Sep 2012, 12:18 4 0
you are not supposed to care about the red thumbs or the green thumbs.......its your choice and you do or get whatever you want
56. SteveWozzENIAC posted on 05 Sep 2012, 16:56 1 1
you are right mate !
59. 305Bucko posted on 05 Sep 2012, 21:19 1 1
because hes not the real Woz
5. DontHateOnS60 posted on 05 Sep 2012, 11:34 9 0
A little disappointing. I wanted the whole PureView experience, xenon and massive sensor, and I'm really annoyed with the lack of microSD expansion and no HDMI. Nokia can do much better. I would hardly call this a flagship. The Samsung looks to be better outside of the camera.
11. arsenaljimenez posted on 05 Sep 2012, 11:37 1 0
Maybe they will come out with a variation of it later, I don't think most people want a phone that thick hah
16. DontHateOnS60 posted on 05 Sep 2012, 11:43 2 1
Haha 10.8 is perfect and I'll gladly take one thicker within reason as long as the quality of photos and videos are top notch. Plus you need room for that xenon. 15mm at hump and I'm cool with that.
18. mohitmk21 posted on 05 Sep 2012, 11:47 1 0
but when??? when they are on the verge of getting bankrupt???
8. rainyday posted on 05 Sep 2012, 11:36 6 5
really disapointed, except the camera, I see nothing to impress me..
9. arsenaljimenez posted on 05 Sep 2012, 11:36 4 2
The only thing I would have wanted, was a little more noticeable change in the design. Besides that its awesome hah
13. chocolatebear76 posted on 05 Sep 2012, 11:40 3 4
wireless charging and pureview any condition picture brightness is as good as today's standard,very impressive Nokia
17. santaclaus posted on 05 Sep 2012, 11:43 2 3
agree with u!!
ativ S has nothing special to enhance our lives. at least Nokia made wireless charging and can take better photos than ativ S, not mentioning the additional offline GPS and the screen technology
15. observer (unregistered) posted on 05 Sep 2012, 11:43 3 1
I'll wait for the true 808 sequel. Xenon Flash AND LED flash at the same time. just like the 808 with RICH SOUND RECORDING TECHNOLOGY.
22. REYNER posted on 05 Sep 2012, 11:53 1 1
it almost exceed my expectation! but i find the 10.7 mm thick a bit too thick for me and 185g too heavy i dont have big hands but if only they trim the waist about 1.8 mm that would be perfect but the pureview tech.. was exceptional!! impressive! 32gb is enough for me.. :)
24. amazinghorse posted on 05 Sep 2012, 11:59 0 0
The screen gives me six robo boners. SIX OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!
25. Lwazi_N posted on 05 Sep 2012, 12:02 1 2
Why would Microsoft, let Nokia (blood partner) release a "Flagship device" that does is a mere dual core phone? I mean, when it comes to marketing, such specs do count. And Samsung is releasing a quad core WP8 phone first? Quite sad.
And an 8Mp camera? Come on, Dinning! Yes, if you get technical, "it is not about the number of pixels but what you do with it", I agree, but gimmicks, guy, gimmicks. Gimmics sell gadgets. It is exactly why Apple still sells so many iGadgets, it's the gimmicks- who here does not know Apple never invented a rectangle with rounded corners or multi-touch? But the people seem to believe him and they buy the products.
I'm afraid this Lumia here is a bit underspec'd for my liking. Yes, Nokia ain't my thing, but the price of the 808 Pureview is the only thing that deterred me from buying it coz I loved it. Now if the 920 had the 808's media-taking power, it would sell much better than it prolly will!
28. infernal88 posted on 05 Sep 2012, 12:26 0 1
well if u go throw the earlier comments u will find many of those commenting on PA convinced that this 8MP is a pure-view ...so here is the " gimmicks" u are looking for :P ...while it actually has nothing to do with 808 cam or technology ...
31. Lwazi_N posted on 05 Sep 2012, 12:39 0 1
Haha but still, it's not enough of a gimmick because Pureview or the camera, are dumbed down- and that is enough reason for people not to buy
29. nwright94 (unregistered) posted on 05 Sep 2012, 12:30 1 1
The US GS3 with a S4 which is DUAL CORE is still a beast and just as powerful as quad-core competitor, number of cores mean nothing if they aren't utilized right. The dual core new iPad performs just as good or better than many tegra 3 quad core tablets. Samsungs Ativ is not quad core, its dual core. Windows Phone is optimized to perform great on dual core. Get over the whole more cores is better thing. Same with the more Megapixels=better camera.
33. Lwazi_N posted on 05 Sep 2012, 12:43 0 1
You're still missing my point, I'm talking about gimmicks, not real world technical aspects. If you had actually read my post, you would get that... Like Infernal88 read and understood before he commented.
53. nwright94 (unregistered) posted on 05 Sep 2012, 15:52 0 1
All phone makers throw in gimmicks. S-pen for Samsung, retina for iPhone, pureview for Nokia, it's all just marketing terms.
54. Lwazi_N posted on 05 Sep 2012, 16:03 0 1
Now we're talking!
30. sunco posted on 05 Sep 2012, 12:34 0 1
I really don't mind that much about features because all new pones got almost the same. First thing I see is design, and second is price. I want to see this -http://i.microsoft.com/global/
windowsphone/en-us/publishingimages/features/for http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-kEnAidBfU58/TVaYdeQhbKI/AAAAAA eatures_people_hub.png AABGo/baCv4jcWQoc/s1600/wp7_pr ototype.jpg
32. whysoserious posted on 05 Sep 2012, 12:39 1 2
Not the thing I was really expecting. No expandable memory, no HDMI, limited video format support, no real pureview technology like the one on 808, average CPU and GPU.
But on the bright side, the display and camera looks promising. (really looking forward to the pureview technology, though) And the Nokia drive features are cool, which is also available in our country, unlike Google so that's a plus, too.
35. noriya posted on 05 Sep 2012, 13:04 0 1
it is nice phone,nice camera,nice design,nice color,nice accessory but bad window phone 8,if it use android i will not hesitate to buy it.
37. noim1 posted on 05 Sep 2012, 13:09 2 0
Nokia should just switch to Android .......at least release one single handset & see how much it sells .......poor Nokia .....they will soon be joining RIM ...
41. valapsp posted on 05 Sep 2012, 13:26 0 1
Advantages: Great display (Also great display features), Great camera, Great charging method, Great OS, Great CPU, ...
Disadvantages: Low battery capacity compared to the already announced Samsung Ativ S, No expandable storage (Compared to Samsung Ativ S), A little heavy (Not a big deal), ...
*... means we have to wait for the release of the phone. ;)
42. ryq24 posted on 05 Sep 2012, 13:35 0 1
no micro sd card slot. will go for 820 or sony xperia T instead.
48. ogy_dogy posted on 05 Sep 2012, 14:41 0 1
I like thick phones and i cannot lie :D Lumia ftw, but im waiting for some cheaper wp8 devices :)
51. cdgoin posted on 05 Sep 2012, 15:40 0 1
I was hoping for a "surprise" like a QWERTY Nokia WP8 phone or prototype. I guess I will sit here and just have to be happy with my DellVenuePro until that day happens. When is MS and Nokia going to realize a unique Portrait QWERTY slider would be a real game changer and get a lot of press (especially with BB losing share everywhere) It would be different !! This is the same old rectangle with a OS.. Yea..
55. DontHateOnS60 posted on 05 Sep 2012, 16:05 1 1
Lack of memory expansion on a flagship model is unacceptable.
57. Shino posted on 05 Sep 2012, 17:47 0 1
Honestly, I love Nokia and especially Lumias. The only drawback of the new 920 is the weight. 182 grams! Daaaamn!
60. JackedNY posted on 05 Sep 2012, 23:48 0 1
The Lumia 920 is an awesome phone. It s the best rounded and most stylish smartphone on the market. The new iPhone is not going to match it in specs, features or style. Congratulations to Nokia and I wish them great success.
61. elharb posted on 06 Sep 2012, 13:30 0 0
Personally i really like it its one of the best design phones i m willing to get one as soon as it becomes available and about the micro sd i find the 32 gb good enough for.most users