Nokia Lumia 920 gets compared vs the Sony Xperia Z (video)
0. phoneArena 30 Jan 2013, 05:56 posted on
The reviewer points out that the Lumia 920 still feels "beefier" than the 5" Xperia Z, which is indeed very thin for a waterproof handset, and points out that both have good things going for them in the camera department - the Z with its HDR video function, and the Lumia 920 with the OIS mechanism inside...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
58. nvrhde (Posts: 77; Member since: 10 Nov 2012)
You dont want pepole to like Sony , is that your problem?
8. dilse (Posts: 25; Member since: 24 Aug 2012)
Good comparision..thanq know your mobile website
42. noim1 (Posts: 297; Member since: 15 May 2012)
This is not a fair comparison...bcuz both of these devices r of different species and race.... They r both very renown and excellent brands...ppl who prefer WP will go for 920 and ppl who prefer Android will go for Z... It's basic common sense..
117. LumiaLover (Posts: 160; Member since: 27 Sep 2012)
It's a nice point you make but I would like to add to it if I may? People who prefer Android will not necessarily go for the Z. As nice as it is the competition on Android devices is huge, whereas although the HTC 8X is a lovely phone, and the Ativ S has it's admirers; the Lumia 920 is the stand out phone....the only point I'm trying to make here is that you can understand why Nokia chose WP8 as the platform to support in the short to medium term.
10. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3024; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
I wonder what it would do to people's minds if 920 came in that sexy frame.
20. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
both are sexy phones but it is a not appropriate to compare them. one is WP and the other one android.
59. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
great comment, and reasonable rare to find on here
94. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
You lier, you're just like that haseebzahid, who Trolls on Android and loves wp8 Nokia and Apple™®©
114. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
go play with your toys kid, your bs is boring now you need a new act
25. Emily1985 (Posts: 123; Member since: 08 Nov 2012)
Yes, Sony Xperia Z is a brick but good phone.
38. haseebzahid (Posts: 1836; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
bricks are always shaped as rectangular and edgy from all sides guess which falls closer to that catagory :P
52. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
but they are beefy and have yellowish caller as well.
now, which one is more beefy and exists with yellow color??
69. haseebzahid (Posts: 1836; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
its alos black wight ur theory fails but Z shapes perfectly like brick
81. cripton805 (Posts: 998; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
Excuses excuses. When you cant win in specs, you blame the form. Classic.
115. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
you lot are pathetic, you only go at anyone who responds to the hate for wp8 etc, if there hating on everything other then android there fine in your book
and specs dont matter, the overall experience in the device is what matters. you just hold specs up as if it means you win
you just enjoy bragging about specs yet cant begin to understand there not the whole story
123. cripton805 (Posts: 998; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
Even if what youre saying was SUPPOSED to be true.
Nokia will always sport the same crappy specs.
Some of us will get updated to Pie. How many windows phones have 8? Whats the ratio?
As of right now, every Android phone that has Jelly Bean offers a better user experience. Im not stating preference. Im stating fact. Its very simple to understand when its clearly obvious when other phones have more features that Windows 8 is missing.
Its not just customization.
If you want a better camera then good for you or you need to use gloves to use your phone. Windows is very limited at this moment and to say its better than Android is very very stupid.
130. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
crappy? When Symbian phones had and still have an fm transmitter you fandroid could only jizz thinking of it, so hushhh kid.
33. pyradark (Posts: 784; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
ill still go for xperia z, i need resistant to everything.
plus like what i always saw on the comment box in gmsarena
"WP has no apps & games"
34. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Comparison? Give me a break!
These two can't really compare because Sony is just a generation ahead and overwhelmingly superior.
It's just as durable yet more compact, much lighter, faster, waterproof, has a larger and sharper screen, memory expansion, FAR more feature rich OS and FAR better platform.
60. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
shut up fanboy, seriously bored of your one sided bs
the fact you class the s3 as a design masterpiece shows how blind you are so leave these articles to people who can be reasonable
both devices are excellent, sony looks to have a winner there. as said before hard to compare when they use different os's but heres hoping sony start dominating android and knock samsung down abit
96. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Which of the following..
" just as durable yet more compact, much lighter, faster, waterproof, has a larger and sharper screen, memory expansion, FAR more feature rich OS and FAR better platform."
..does not go through your idiotic scull?
I stated facts, moron.
118. LumiaLover (Posts: 160; Member since: 27 Sep 2012)
actually, technically speaking your last two points are not facts but points of view...but hey ho!!
119. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
dont waste your time, he is a one sided android fanboy that thinks his opinions are facts and cant begin to think outside his android bubble
all os's have there advantages
43. Edmund (Posts: 656; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
920 has :
Best maps (voice guided turn-by-turn offline GPS)
Fastest web browser (Sunspider)
Best email client (Outlook)
Best camera (OIS, low-light photography is unmatched)
great software support from both manufacturer and developer.
WP and Nokia add real value to a mobile handset, whereas google and its oem's add gimmicks.
47. noim1 (Posts: 297; Member since: 15 May 2012)
Well you just said it my friend.. WP does not have that gimmick - a stand out, unique feature to attract everyone..... It's plain, dull, boxy tiles floating on your display...
97. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Browser is slow compared to best android browsers.
Dolphin with Jetpack on my S3 scores 492 in HTML5 test, and trumps WP browser in every performance category, including the sun spider.
You wanna compare?
I dare you
131. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
why don't you use native chrome? is it too slow, kid?
54. IU_Lover (Posts: 35; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
I don't care about others commenting and/or glorifying/ criticize-ing any phone. As long as I feel happy when i'm using my phone, it's the best phone for me! :) What matters is the user using the phone, if that person likes it then so be it. You're not using the phone, that person is. Peace! I still want the Z lol
63. lubba (Posts: 1311; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
Missed calls? Skys the limit? Oh boy! If one actually wants to know anything about WP, ask those actually use it on a daily bases.
64. 007akshay (Posts: 37; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
for windows os i choose 920 n android i choose z.... till dis date
67. znellu (Posts: 71; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
They compared Lumia 920 with the yet to be released Xperia Z. It shows that Lumia 920 is a phone which is comparable to this yet to be released Android flagship. Not saying that 920 is perfect, OS-wise (hardware is one of the best). 920 has got features that aren't available in the Z, like OIS, best in class low light imaging, super sensitive touchscreen, 60 Hz refresh rate, etc.. Anyways overall I would say Xperia Z will take the win.
68. papss (unregistered)
So we have the typical blind fanboys ( darek) then we have reasonable fanboys.. I love both tone honest but I'm more upset with the terrible viewing angle because I was expecting better from a flagship... Still I may buy it because I do find it sexy.. I do lve my 920 more than any phone before it.
71. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
get it, have both. unlike blind fanboys like darac who believes samsung designs are the best and artistic (i still laugh at that) you and other reasonable people get the best of both worlds.
we get to enjoy the best each company or os has to offer without acting like a mindless fanboy (again darac comes to mind lol)
82. cripton805 (Posts: 998; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
Fanboy > Troll
If I were to pick which one was the better of the species. Trolls just shadow people and whine every second they get.
83. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
your a fanboy so your point falls flat, besides my comment was perfectly justified so go bother someone else with your usual crap
100. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Says the Wp8 Apple fanboy, stop trolling Old age Pensioner™®©
102. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Gosh you're such a sad irony.
Hypocrisy doesn't get any worse here.
As for my praise on Samsung design.. let this sink in slowly.. it is my SUBJECTIVE. OPINION. DESIGN. WISE.
I am perfectly entitled to it without threatening the objective opinions - that can be given in regards to any other category of the products.
Best looking handsets right now, in my SUBJECTIVE OPINION?
1. Xperia Z
2. Iphone 5
3. LGoptimus G
4. Samsung s3
Nokia 920 has a good premise but just way too wide bezel imo. It ruins its design
104. cripton805 (Posts: 998; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
Your argument was total crap.
If I thought the design of my GS3 was crap I wouldnt have bought it. If you dont like it WELL GOOD FOR YOU. Thats why you didnt buy it obviously.
Your comment is based on preference and thats why you are trolling. Just because I like the product I bought with my money doesnt make me a fanboy.
99. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
I was browsing my sisters L920 on the net, and all the websites I go to are Flash required, and so many boxes with question marks, I try to open it but denies, you need Flash 10 above, this junk phone is useless , you can't have a rich browsing just like the PC Lab top views, what a useless Silver light 4 that WebKit trash! This phone is only good for transition swypes ™
107. papss (unregistered)
I'm betting that l920 isn't your sisters but actually yours.. You troll because it amuses you.
72. Mghazisohail (Posts: 23; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
nokia is much much much better than sony in terms of build quality, camera, durability and etc etc
75. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
this is true, but in the android world sony are up there at top place for build quality. samsung cant touch sony on this
so for android sony and maybe motorola should be up there and samsung marketing will hopefully where off.....not saying samsung make bad devices but there are better out there (note 2 been an exception for now samsung did good there )
124. cripton805 (Posts: 998; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
Attention to detail is good build quality.
Being rugged is a feature.
Premium materials are a feature.
Ill use a GS3 for example. It would probably be impossible to make it as rigid as a Lumia 920 because they decided to have a removable back cover to access the battery. Hoards of people were asking for this and an SD slot on different phones and could be a very good reason why its been so successful.
Once your battery starts getting worn in one year, youll see why this is important. You definately see it in two.
74. Muzhhur (Posts: 248; Member since: 14 Sep 2012)
I love japan stuff, but I'll get the finnish master phone
76. Amidamaru212 (Posts: 2; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
In my opinion it is good that the viewing angles are not so great. I do not like it when someone looks at what I'm doing on the phone.
80. cripton805 (Posts: 998; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
Windows 8 doesnt currently support anything more than a dual core processor and Nokia tricks you hoards of people to think that its because Nokia doesnt want to include it.
I will come back and rub it in your faces the day W8 supports quads and octos.
And Nokia suddenly says it is the future.
98. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Nokia Lumia 920:
- 8.7MP F2.1 lowlight lens with Opitical Image Stabilization (think VR).
- 32GB onboard storage, 1GB RAM
- 4.5' (1280 x 768) 332 PPI, ultra bright IPS style screen that can be used with gloves or mitts.
- 2000 mAh non-removeable battery, 11hrs TT
- Mountable as a Windows PC device, via micro USB
- Strong Polycarbonate outer shell
- Wireless Qi charging mechanism
- WP8 OS (More secure than Android, far less apps)
Sony Xperia Z:
- 5' TFT (1080 x 1920), 441 PPI, conventional touch screen.
- 16GB onboard storage + microSIM, 2GB RAM
- 2330 mAh non-removeable battery, 11hrs TT
- IP57 certified - dust and water resistant.
- Android OS (More apps than WP8, but less secure)
Congrats to Sony for producing a water proof phone, and that feature alone will probably attract some buyers. It does look like a solid device, but the Nokia 920 has some other features that make it very appealing, such as a lower price, better camera, and wireless charging to name a few. While the 920 has a smaller screen, the resolution is higher, and the touch-screen is of better quality, brighter, and faster too (IPS vs TFT).
The Sony Xperia Z also has half the storage (16GB vs 32GB). It does have a microSIM slot, but external SD memory is typically slower. The Xperia Z also has 2GB of RAM, and a quad-core processor, but both are needed to make up for Android OS being slower and more resource heavy than WP8. In real terms, I would hazard to guess the Lumia 920 is probably faster, despite having only a dual core processor. WP8 is also more secure, despite having less apps available for download...
If you need a bigger touch-screen, and don't mind an inferior camera (more mega-pixels does not mean better), and you also love Android despite it's security short comings and less intuitive UI, then the Sony Xperia Z may be right for you...
Conversely, If you like photography, need something more secure, at the expense of less flexibility and apps, then the Lumia 920 is an excellent choice. It isn't water proof, but it's certainly has been proven to be durable, and is a quality piece of mobile hardware that ultimately costs less.
103. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
And I am supposed to excel in stupidity and dishonesty?!
The amount of both hidden in your little tirade posted above is baffling.
Just don't make me having to dismantle and expose every bit of it, you ignorant hypocrite
111. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Bottom line, you deserve a medal in dishonesty and stupidity.
According to you Nokia has a greater resolution screen
According to you, it's also brighter even while you don't know s**t about how brigh Xperia ' screen is.
According to you, WP8 requires less resources even while it requires a dual core processor and CANNOT be ported to WP7 devices
Android otoh, can run on a 800mhz single core processor, and actually takes up LESS memory space.
As for security - WP was hacked within a month, you moron!
And you obviously dont know nothing about processors, GPU, and how they benefit the performance.
WP is not faster than Android, even on the same processor!!
Had Galaxy S3 used a faster, non stock browser, it would have won that comparison