Nokia Lumia 800 Gorilla Glass torture test [video]
Now they didn’t go as far as dropping it from dizzying heights or smashing it with a hammer, but did throw a couple real world items at it. In the video you can see that the user takes a corkscrew, coins, keys, and even a knife to the glass of Nokia’s new Windows Phone and the screen appears to handle these things well.
While this doesn’t insinuate that the device is indestructible, it is nice to see that it can handle items that tend to end up against your phone better than you might expect.
1. SemperFiV12 (Posts: 878; Member since: 09 Nov 2010)
Such a great looking phone! The design and materials are perfect. Harmony! I can only wait anxiously for the Super Spec'd Lumia 900 (Ace)... This here is an R8, but the Ace is a R8 V12!
14. SleepingOz (unregistered)
You must really be a fanboy to compare phones with supercars.
5. christianqwerty (Posts: 460; Member since: 05 May 2011)
Gorilla glass is just over rated like beats audio. nothing special
11. kainy (Posts: 165; Member since: 10 Aug 2011)
Dude ... go check yourself or read a few articles in the internet and educate yourself ...
22. nanozander (Posts: 73; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Beats audio, maybe.... But Gorilla Glass is Awe-Freaking-some!!
6. vantenkiest (Posts: 308; Member since: 20 Apr 2011)
I did this to my friends Iphone as he INSISTED it was indestructable.. didnt end well he dropped $6 of gold dollars on it.. and it has a crack
7. Luuthian (Posts: 219; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
Wait, I thought the iPhone didn't have any special glass?
8. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1060; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
It has some sort of special glass but it's not gorilla
12. kainy (Posts: 165; Member since: 10 Aug 2011)
As i recall the glass was as strong as gorilla glass but may be better... or that was the claim :D
15. SleepingOz (unregistered)
That's what they claim but go check it by yourself.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
16. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
it has gorilla. Check on the website. Nexus doesn't have gorilla.
Noki uses gorilla for almost every touchscreen phone.
9. Firedrops (Posts: 216; Member since: 06 Sep 2011)
yo dawg, i heard you like dollars, so you used six dollars of gold dollars, so you could spend dollars while you spend dollars
10. evanskylerrr (Posts: 10; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
so while watching this video, the only thing that popped out was when the singer said something about masterbation -____-
13. surajn95 (Posts: 2; Member since: 06 Jun 2011)
1 question is it a different Gorilla Glass or all manufactures uses same Gorilla Glass?
20. nanozander (Posts: 73; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Gorilla Glass is a product by Corning. So manufacturers will order their glass from corning but with different requirements like size and in the case of the N9, slightly curved around the edges.
18. Androidtidbits.com (banned) (Posts: 14; Member since: 10 Dec 2011)
Cool! Even if i had a device with Gorilla Glass, I can't risk it to do a torture test on its screen.
19. nanozander (Posts: 73; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Why do they feel the need to do this when the N8's torture test has already proven that Gorila glass is frigging awesome?
I've had an N8 for 15 months now and have treated it with little care. The aluminum body's chipped in some places though the paint dosn't run off. The glass off the camera and front screen however is perfectly 'new'. No scratches whatsoever.
24. ILikeBubbles (Posts: 305; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
so..... is it just me or do these "torture test" headlines always sound like the names of a german porn?
25. sponhucom (Posts: 4; Member since: 09 Dec 2011)
-has anyone ever tried a jackhammer to these trials?.,
26. GeekMovement (Posts: 1581; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
he does everything so gently... like how he drops the keys..
nevertheless i do believe nokia lumia 800 is very sturdy after reading about the 2-3 story drop from the apt before. :p i want it.
27. vmaster (Posts: 31; Member since: 11 Dec 2011)
The key and the coins part is a joke. I don't know why he even bothered with those after trying to scratch it with a cork opener first. If that didn't scratch it I highly doubt coins or slightly dropping keys on it will scratch the screen. But point proven.