Nokia Lumia 730 ‘selfie phone’ goes official, takes a jab at Samsung
0. phoneArena 04 Sep 2014, 03:55 posted on
Nokia’s ‘Selfie’ phone is real and it is on a mission to fix bad selfies. Welcome the Nokia Lumia 730 that has just been uncovered at IFA 2014…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. DogeShibe (Posts: 1102; Member since: 10 Jan 2014)
Wow f/1.9 lens...MS surely going the right way :)
3. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Wow! That front camera is really good. Well done MS! Impressed by both the mid rangers today. Now just get the One M8 with Windows to India please.
47. Spedez (Posts: 225; Member since: 29 Aug 2014)
MS my arse. It's the leftovers from Nokia who also pulled this thing out. Are you going to say well done Lenovo for the upcoming Motorola phone launch too?
5. refillable (Posts: 799; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
If this is really $200 this might be a steal.
6. mistercarter (Posts: 88; Member since: 01 Sep 2011)
if they want to make a great selfie phone, all they need to make is a phone with the same camera on the front and on the back. period
7. naittosan (Posts: 234; Member since: 28 Jun 2014)
What's with all this 4.7in crap. If it's not 5in or more it's too small.
9. hemedans (Posts: 291; Member since: 01 Jun 2013)
then go buy lumia 1320, dont expect each and every phone to meet your requiremens
18. DeDex (Posts: 72; Member since: 01 Sep 2014)
Too small for what? For whom? Don't think everyone thinks the way you do.
8. SuperMaoriBro (Posts: 392; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
There was a time i really liked wp8.1 and lumias. I dont know what happened but i dont feel the love anymore.
10. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1063; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
I loved it I think it's an awesome idea the dual sim is also an awesome idea but I really wished it wasn't so camera centric ! and 1020 successor pls ?
19. geordie8t1 (unregistered)
yeah its about a year since the lumia 1020 arrived right? so uless it was a 1 off then we should be seeing an updated version right about this time, so either well done to nokiasoft for keeping it under wraps or they are not developing a new model.....
25. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1063; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
yeah because the 1020 can't even do 4k screen recording
33. elitewolverine (Posts: 2741; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Well depends on if the update which supports 4k comes to the 1020, I didn't see a list of which processors or devices will get it.
11. gigaraga (Posts: 1407; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
Well taking a jab at a much older Note 3 is pretty childish. Why don't they try taking a jab at the Note 4? Oh wait, they can't because their selfie cam's not good enough
12. hemedans (Posts: 291; Member since: 01 Jun 2013)
can note 4 front camera take 11 people in selfie? did you watch the event or just came here and comment?
15. tech2 (Posts: 2825; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
LOL the irony is killing me xD Did you watch the Samsung's event ?!?!
They took a selfie with the entire audience (YES ENTIRE AUDIENCE OF 1000s) with their front camera's panoramic feature. Let alone 11 people.
Easily the worst fail of the day.
21. hemedans (Posts: 291; Member since: 01 Jun 2013)
so when did panorama became selfie? even worst 0.3mp cam theorotically can take the whole city with panorama. its just a software trick. in panorama mode you lost many things like focus on your face.
lets compare front cam of note 4 and lumia 730.
-both have 1.9 aperture
-lumia 730 has 5mp compare to 3.7mp of note 3
-lumia 730 has 24mm focal length i dont know of note 4.
by judging by the above specs lumia 730 is clear winner, lets wait for the review to see more
and lets not forget the software side of lumia 730 with amazing selfie app with tweaks and filters to make you selfie even more awesome
27. tech2 (Posts: 2825; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Wow .....you do realize you are digging a grave for yourself, right ?
1. So a selfie is a 'selfie' when its with 11 people but not with 1000s. Care to show how did you come to that conclusion ?
2. So 1.3mp higher means 'its clear winner' ?! Biased much ?
3. First of all you dis Note 4 as panorama is 'software trick' then you go about praising the 'amazing selfie app'. Care to explain how that app is not a software trick ?
36. hemedans (Posts: 291; Member since: 01 Jun 2013)
when nokia demonstrate their 5mp selfie camera 11 people where there, but only one was main focus. camera was focus on one people, i mean his eyes, chin, mounth and face while others can be seen beside him.
if messi take selfie with barcelona team mate his face will be seen infront while barca team mate will be seen beside him, that is selfie
panorama is not self at all because of;
1. in panorama mode how are you going to focus on your eyes, chin, mouth, nose?
2.when you move your hand to take panorama you lose angle and that idea of exaggerating the size of the eyes and giving the impression of a slender pointed chin is lost.
38. tech2 (Posts: 2825; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
'if messi take selfie with barcelona team mate his face will be seen infront while barca team mate will be seen beside him, that is selfie'
That is EXACTLY what Samsung did !The person taking the selfie was in focus while the rest of the audience behind !!!!! Please go see the presentation before further embarrassing yourself ! No offence.
44. hemedans (Posts: 291; Member since: 01 Jun 2013)
i brought evidence with me now.
this is the only selfie they take in note 4 event
and this is the one from nokia
and this is called panoramic selfie which i disagree is not selfie
compare the above two
then look at the third image and you tell me if it is selfie
52. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9660; Member since: 14 May 2012)
It is a selfie lol.
Glad to see tech2 stepped in for me and made you look like you had no idea what you were talking about.
30. DogeShibe (Posts: 1102; Member since: 10 Jan 2014)
Nope,Lumia 730/735 has f/2.4 aperture...
24. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1017; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
The fanboys are hilarious aren't they? I'll bet you they didn't care about front camera until Nokia released this phone, it's like it is the first 5mp front facing camera ever lmao.
28. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1063; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
implying you're a decent and honest person who isn't biased at towards your favourite brand
32. hemedans (Posts: 291; Member since: 01 Jun 2013)
lumia 720 was the first smartphone to have front cam with wide angle, i was excited what nokia will bring with 730, and they didnt disapoint me. they show to the world amazing front camera, so whats wrong if i express my passion for the company i love? or is it crime?
34. tigermcm (Posts: 811; Member since: 02 Sep 2009)
ummmm the 8x came out in 2012 and i thought that had wide angle soooo i think your timeline is off
41. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1017; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
It isn't crime, but if you are going to do it then at least spread correct facts and not BS that you THINK is right, as tiger said HTC was the first to use wide angles lens on the 2012's HTC 8X, subsequently they used it on every single flagship on their lineup, upgrading to a 5 megapixel wide angle lens on the M8 with f/2.0 apperture and now to an 8 megapixel unit on the Desire 820. And microsoftnokiawin i have nothing against general people that love their favorite brand, it is when you bash the competition spreading around false facts that i find hilarious.
16. rockers123 (Posts: 113; Member since: 08 Sep 2013)
Hey dumb.. Note 4 can take the entire audience.
17. hurrycanger (Posts: 1445; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
Did you watch Note 4 event?
Probably not, lol.
42. tech2 (Posts: 2825; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
selfie - a photograph that one has taken of oneself, typically one taken with a smartphone or webcam and uploaded to a social media website.
Now since the person taking the picture is in the picture with audience in the back then technically it is a selfie in panorama mode. Get over it !
46. DogeShibe (Posts: 1102; Member since: 10 Jan 2014)
Lets stop with the selfie crap...selfies are stupid anyways...
I only take selfies to look myself from peoples point of view :/
26. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1063; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
they actually took a jab at the s5 !
14. Dude2014 (Posts: 229; Member since: 12 Feb 2014)
Is this phone back camera Pureview or not?
20. DeDex (Posts: 72; Member since: 01 Sep 2014)
Wow. I'm impressed at the price tag more than the rest. It looks surprisingly affordable given the specs (not dreamlike, I agree, but still pretty decent). It's slightly more expensive than Motorola's Moto G 4G, with much better cameras and an OLED screen, which is always nice. I think it could find an audience.
Also, I appreciate the face that it is not yet ANOTHER 5+-inch phone. The offer for interesting "smaller" phones seems to become more and more dire, and I think it's a bit sad because not everyone like holding huge phones in their hands.
39. joey_sfb (Posts: 3822; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
When Microsoft launch wp9, will they stop WP8.1user from logging into their Skype messenging too?
This is a low blow even Apple and Google don't prevent their older device user signing into iMessages and Hangout.
43. Liveitup (Posts: 1751; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Dude quit with your trolling. Other platforms including your cherished Google can only wish to be updated as well as Windows Phone does.
Paid troll to come here and post negative stuff about the platform. Why don't is see you posting negative things about Android after its not like the OS is perfect.
So why come here and post negative things about a platform like WP which you don't use?.
49. joey_sfb (Posts: 3822; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
I do use it in work. Besides What i say is the foth.
Microsoft has refuse to let WP7, WP7.5 and WP7.8 signing into Skype in an effort to encourage them to upgrade to wp8.1.
They have done the same thing to win xp. No more Microsoft Security Essentials Antivirus update for Windows XP user. Hoping user would flock to Windows 8.
Liveitup, tell me it's not true then. Can you?
I am not against Microsoft per Sa just their actions.
54. Liveitup (Posts: 1751; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
No you dont use it in Work, your history is like that which is of a troll.
Do Android support Gingerbread even and earlier versions as well as they do Kitkat. No they don't.The same goes for iOS and others one can argue that hardware is a part of the problem but one can also argue that they want indivisuals to get the newer better versions.
Everybody does this to some degree in regards to XP everyone knows this. Its nothing new. Quit hating on something you don't use.
50. joey_sfb (Posts: 3822; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Liveitup did you even bother to read your own posting? The summary;
"Google Play and Verify Apps have been enhanced to protect users from the Fake ID issue, said Katsaros, the Google spokesman.
“At this time, we have scanned all applications submitted to Google Play as well as those Google has reviewed from outside of Google Play and we have seen no evidence of attempted exploitation of this vulnerability,” Katsaros said."
53. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9660; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Haha wow. People are embarrassing themselves on here since yesterday's IFA event.
55. Liveitup (Posts: 1751; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
This is the problem with individuals like yourself you miss the big picture.My point is this Android is not a perfect platform it has its many issues. Let me ask you this is Android a perfect platform yes or no?.
You know the answer this question, now keep that answer in mind everytime you think about hating on another platform.
40. Marcus_h (Posts: 44; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Hmmm - this will sell for the same price pretty much as the 925 now. Which to buy?
56. Marcus_h (Posts: 44; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
True Micro. One has a dedicated camera button, the other a better selfie cam. One has better resolution, the other a bigger screen (just). Apart from that, the specs seem very similar. I guess the 925 has a better build quality, and how well they compare for battery life is still to be seen. Tough to call
58. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1063; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
well honestly from my perspective the Lumia 730 seems to be more future proof then the 925 because of what comes under the hood.
but if you can chip a few extra dollars (maybe a bit more then a few) then the 830 has certain aspects of both (eg. camera button appealing design bigger screen )future proof excluding the huge selfie camera !
but yeah it's a tough call :) !
59. Marcus_h (Posts: 44; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Just remembered that the 925 has OIS too. Hmmm...