Nokia Lumia 635 now widely available, the US will get it in the coming months
0. phoneArena 20 Jun 2014, 13:22 posted on
Priced at $189, the Lumia 635 is Microsoft's cheapest LTE smartphone ever. Like the Lumia 630, the 635 runs the latest Windows Phone 8.1...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
2. Canaan (Posts: 335; Member since: 25 May 2014)
The Moto G has far better screen resolution; 326 PPI compared to the Lumia's 218 PPI. The Moto G also has more RAM (1GB) and a front facing camera, so I don't see how it's a better deal.
4. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
The Moto G LTE does include an SD card slot, but does cost $30 more than the Lumia.
6. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2071; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Yes, but it doesn't support 128 gig cards. Plus, removable battery with the L635 is also a plus and you can get a different variety of colors without paying extra for the back cover.
11. Canaan (Posts: 335; Member since: 25 May 2014)
I could care less for the back covers, that 512MB RAM kills it in terms of multitasking and more intense gaming. If the Lumia was $100-$150 less than I would agree more, but for $30 more you could get a much better screen, more apps, front and back cameras and better multitasking and gaming, think it's worth paying that extra.
14. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
Exactly. Microsoft is never going to deliver the best value. They are too used to monopoly profit levels. The Moto G LTE costs a little more, but gives you more for your money.
17. Doakie (Posts: 2072; Member since: 06 May 2009)
There are only few things you're forgetting. That the Moto G has a LED flash while the 635 doesn't.
On the flip side the 635 has 42 Mbps HSPA+ as a fall back from LTE while the Moto G only has a 21 Mbps radio in it. That makes a difference in non LTE areas. My Moto G had a best download speed of 12 Mbps real world, my Galaxy S3 non LTE with a 42 Mbps HSPA+ radio got the best download speed of around 30 Mbps. So the 42 Mbps radio is nice to have.
HOWEVER the Moto G has access to Google services, the Lumia doesn't which is a deal breaker. No official YouTube, Google Maps, Hangouts, Google Voice, and Google Keep apps makes for a no go for me. I really wish Google would bury the hatchet with Microsoft. I really want official Google Apps on Windows Phone. I'd actually buy another one if they got Google Service compatibility.
21. ChandlerBing (Posts: 35; Member since: 17 Feb 2014)
Lumia 635 is for Microsoft and their services. Why should it offer Google apps and services? Plus, I'd rather take faster internet speeds than an LED notification light, which the 635 can counter with the Glance screen functionality, which works on the same premise.
35. elitewolverine (Posts: 5185; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
The official youtube app isn't all that special imo, I rarely use it even on my note 3. Metro Tube or the pure old web experience is best imo. that is.
Google Maps, I have had 3 instances where google maps refused to find locations here, giving me out of state recommendations. Here Maps found the exact location, and gave me other in-state recommendations.
Google voice, I suppose, never really use it myself on the note 3 that is.
Never used google keep, looks like One Note to me, lists, voice memo's, etc. Combine that with Cortana and to me no difference.
39. vslayer (Posts: 34; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
google maps = here maps for wp
youtube = metro tube for wp
hangouts = i believe skype is better coz its a cross platform app
google keep = one note
44. sgodsell (Posts: 3756; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
Wrong. The moto g LTE does support HSDPA 42.2. Also all moto g, e, x are all water resistant. Something that is useful but never mentioned. There is also a front facing camera on the moto g. There is no front facing camera on the lumia 630/5.
15. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
NFTW: "Plus, removable battery with the L635 is also a plus"
The removable battery is a good feature. I think it's lame that the Moto G doesn't offer this.
41. sgodsell (Posts: 3756; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
It is lame. But the trade off is the Moto G is water resistant. The L63X is not.
26. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Since when you fanboys started caring about removable batteries. That day in wpcentral, some of those nokia fanboys were trolling samsung ativ se, one said it has removable battery, all the nokia boys bombarded that poor guy saying no one cares about removable battery.
28. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
And 128gb cards still cost half the price of phone.
31. johnsons (Posts: 31; Member since: 16 Jun 2014)
Search on eBay and you can find one with only $28
40. sgodsell (Posts: 3756; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
The Moto G is also water resistant. Which NO lumia is water resistant. The Moto G has a superior display compared to the 63x. The Moto G has a front facing camera the 63x does not. The Moto G rear camera has a flash, and shoot slow motion video, where as the 63x has no flash and cannot shoot slow motion video. The Moto G has 1Gb of ram vs the 63x only has 512mb of ram. Not to mention the ecosystem is more vast compared to WP.
23. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
How sad the humans and this planet is.... So misinformed yet getting thumbs up.... Pathetic.
12. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
"lumia has cortana"
The WP version of braille.
13. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
The 630 is running WP... It's a better deal..
25. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
You forgot to add IMNSHO. Infact you fanboys claimed wp 8 was better than android, before 8.1
32. johnsons (Posts: 31; Member since: 16 Jun 2014)
I thought you gave up and you don't trolling anymore.
5. corporateJP (Posts: 2431; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
620 is still a better phone for the lower price...
10. Liveitup (Posts: 1798; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
This commercial made me want to upgrade so badly to the L930, But i may just wait for "Mclaren".
Why Microsoft dont place this type of commercial on TV is beyond comprehension.
19. akki20892 (Posts: 3901; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Me too....I was planning to get 930 but after McLaren rumor I'm going to wait for McLaren.