Nokia Lumia 610 does not run Angry Birds, insufficient RAM to blame
0. phoneArena 28 May 2012, 06:18 posted on
Last week, Skype for Windows Phone was made unavailable to Nokia Lumia 610 users due to insufficient RAM, and now we have Angry Birds, Tango, and PES2012 joining the list. More than 256MB of RAM are required...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. mercorp (Posts: 1021; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
angry birds can run fine on even the galaxy ace,which has almost similar hardware"
how do you respond to this?
9. jroc74 (Posts: 5980; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
It also runs fine on my Droid 1....with a 500Mhz cpu and same amount of Ram...
Angry Birds Space...that might be a different story...lol.
What may be overlooked is that Angry Birds was a port from iOS. That had a gpu in the same family as the one in the Droid 1. Both had a PowerVR gpu.
At first, on Sense UI Android phones, Angry Birds had issues. And thats phones with 1Ghz cpu and 512MB Ram. It needed to be "optimized" for Sanpdragon. Angry Birds didnt need to be optimized for my Droid X1 with MotoBlur. It just ran even better vs. the Droid 1....more up to date hardware.
Microsoft might wanna go with different or more current hardware for their hardware baseline. Said this when WP7 launched....
32. andyboi_ph (Posts: 101; Member since: 26 Mar 2012)
i agree, even some of samsung galaxy lower end series which has much lower specs than nokia lumia 610 can play angrybirds in a breeze... unacceptable!
2. mercorp (Posts: 1021; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
The ace has a 800 mhz processor and 288mb of ram,by the way.
3. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Not sure if it is the fault of Rovio or the fault of Microsoft. Or the fault of Nokia for not putting enough RAM in their phone. XP
11. jroc74 (Posts: 5980; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I know....512MB in phones is like 2GB Ram on PC's now. They are both considered lower hardware specs.
256MB is pusing it for the lowest of the low.
22. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
maybe MS hard resticted the specs req for Tango so u cant even download but if some one try a jailbreak wp probably he can tell if it runs
4. OmarF82 (Posts: 17; Member since: 09 Jan 2012)
OMG! even a Samsung GEM that I have somewhere besides my SGSII can run these apps and the new Angry Birds Space LOL
The specs are:
OS: Android 2.2
Res: 240x400 (size 3.2")
RAM: 250MB or less
6. digitalw (Posts: 64; Member since: 20 Dec 2011)
If you make comaparation of that kind.. then Nokia N8 with 256MB ram and 680MHz can play Angy Birds so smooth that you can only dream of! :) so , don't put that conversation to the table :) It's simple, Rovio and SKYPE should make optimisation of the software.
31. Birds (Posts: 1154; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
What does skype have to do with angry birds?
5. pokharkarsaga (Posts: 381; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
windows phone is butter smooth but lack of hardware support at low end,android is not butter smooth as wp,but it is great for hardware support at low end devices.put symbian,instead of wp.
12. jroc74 (Posts: 5980; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
This is a fair assessment IMO.
WP7 is probably the smoothest scrolling experience I have tried to date. That was in a store compared to an Android phone and iPhone.
MS shoulda just went with a lil better hardware as the baseline. or Nokia didnt have to build this right at the baeline. 512MB Ram shouldnt be all that expensive to put in a phone.
10. Credo (Posts: 744; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
Even Bounce works with 600 mHz on the Nokia N900's Meamo 5 platform ...
13. 9_HeLLs_oF_DrOid (Posts: 127; Member since: 02 Jan 2012)
" Thankfully, the Windows Phone
7.5 Refresh update is so efficient that it runs pretty
smoothly despite the hardware limitations." -Lines to be noted.
14. Galen20K (Posts: 541; Member since: 26 Dec 2008)
it has to be Microsoft because Angry birds even runs on my really really old T-Mobile G1.
15. Sangeet (Posts: 232; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Even the s40 phones can play it smoothly, not to mention the age old Nokia 5800 XpressMusic which had the really old 400mhz processor with RAM being even less than 256mb and with nHD resolution can play it smoothly without any problem then why the hell this normal spec'd phone can't play it.
It's graphics is not any more intense than an Flash Game..!!
16. KingShango (Posts: 89; Member since: 16 May 2012)
Just get the Lumia 900 instead. What's the big deal?
19. WinC76 (unregistered)
Cause not everyone can afford the Lumia 900 and it's not available in most countries yet.
But still, it's better if people just went with the Lumia 710 since it costs nearly the same as the 610.
17. KazEmpire (Posts: 39; Member since: 07 Nov 2011)
Shame on Nokia and Microsoft WP7 is a fail
My ipod touch 3g with 600 Mhz CPU and 256 MB RAM can run Infinity Blade II and NOVA 3 perfectly and this crap cant run Angry Birds!!!
18. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
WHAT THE..just when I thought WP couldn't get any lower.
256mb of RAM is enough to push full blown pc games, for fu!k sake!
I remember playing nfs underground 2, cod 2, half life on my 256mb pc!
IOS and androids and symbian 256mb RAM devices can run games like NOVA, galaxy on fire, asphalt, shadowgun...etc etc.
You gotta be kidding me.
Epic fail is a mild expression for this..
20. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
well its upto the Argry birds developers to optimize game for low end phone if they want it to be but it ill take more time
21. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
means the angry birds for WP7 seems to be high demanding then in android proably as people saying it runs fine on android
24. medicci37 (Posts: 1269; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
Not. gonna happen. Windows will have to spend a little more on ram, if they plan on running decent apps. With high end phones switching to 2 gigs in the near future. All windows phones should have more than a quarter gig of ram. It's not that expensive.
23. medicci37 (Posts: 1269; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
Not Rovio's fault. Come on Windows ! Is a half gig of ram really that expensive ?
25. medicci37 (Posts: 1269; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
MS should take the money they get from Android. Along with the money they waste on lawsuits & Ballmer. & Build a better smartphone. Or at least, buy more ram.
26. blade (Posts: 32; Member since: 28 May 2012)
what the fuccccccck is this nokia then this wp7 os is a piece of junk my
xperia x8 running at 600mhz only 175mb of ram plays even angry birds space and this s**t cant hahahahah
27. deyblu (Posts: 1; Member since: 28 May 2012)
A thing to consider is the resolution at which WP7 runs Angry Birds. While low end droids run at 240*320 or 200*400 WP has 480*800. That's literally 4 times the pixels to render.
A comparison can be properly drawn angry bird experience on The DELL XCD 35 which has a res screen and a low end proc.
Still it still appears that Rovio can optimize the game further. I also don't know if Rovio recompiled/rebuilt their game after MS set the XNA increased from 30 fps 60 fps. It still appears to stutter compared to high end droids or the ios.
29. jroc74 (Posts: 5980; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I agree with this.
Rovio did it for Sense UI phones/Snapdragons for Android. I assume it can be done here too.
34. phil2n (Posts: 487; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
so late.. this was reported last two weeks at engadget... BTW.. thaks for the late Nick T.