Nokia Lumia 520 is Microsoft's best selling smartphone, over 12 million units are active
0. phoneArena 14 Jul 2014, 16:25 posted on
The Lumia 520 was released more than a year ago, and can now be purchased for as low as $50 off contract...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. fouadqr (Posts: 315; Member since: 21 Nov 2012)
Hope we will see those numbers for the next Lumia flagship..
14. akki20892 (Posts: 3653; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Idk how much 920 sold....I think it sold in good numbers.
51. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Last time I saw, Nokia/MS had sold around 7 million 920s. That was around December of last year.
2. Duketytz (Posts: 521; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
That's so sad that their best selling is a low range phone :(
5. Jinto (Posts: 410; Member since: 15 Jan 2014)
WTF, that's why it sells so nicely, `cause it's cheap!
10. robcar (Posts: 78; Member since: 18 Jan 2011)
Yes partly but Affordable and great for the money because there's a bunch of cheap android phones which are not as fun to use...
27. TheMoltenD (Posts: 106; Member since: 13 Jul 2014)
After Kitkat new low end Android is just as "fun."
46. hurrycanger (Posts: 1290; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
Agree. $70 cannot buy a good android phone.
$100-$130 then yes, there are some great android phones I can get (Samsung and LG). But for $70 or less, the 520 and 521 rule.
48. sprockkets (Posts: 1361; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
$50 right now after rebate for the Moto G on Cricket, aka aio.
$70 for the Moto G on Verizon
Around 80-100 for the Moto G on Boost.
It might be the only decent low cost one, but in the WP camp, they only have one as well.
50. hurrycanger (Posts: 1290; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
Isn't the Lumia 520 free after rebate over cricket? XD
Anyway, I find the Verizon and Boost Mobile ones not really worth it. I did buy a Moto G verizon just to play around using wifi, and it's great. But then I would hate to bind with Verizon because of a cheaper Moto G. The service costs is just too high it makes $70 not a good deal to me at all. (I pay $30 for service with T-Mobile and get 2gb of 4g data. Verizon prepaid costs much more)
60. sprockkets (Posts: 1361; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
How are you getting 2GB of data for $30? If you want a plan that compares to Verizon, you have to pay around $40 a month.
Here is the kicker - Tmobile for some stupid reason, won't offer the Moto g. And their coverage sucks compared to Verizon. That matters to a lot of people around me.
Of course, 3G on verizon also sucks. But it is there :)
3. Liveitup (Posts: 1575; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Good, that is one way that Google became dominant, cheap devices are good for consumers.
On another note I'm definitely looking forward to the " McLaren" smartphone. If the rumors turns out to be valid that device will not only differentiate WP low and high end experience it will also set it apart from all devices in general.
4. amats69 (Posts: 1129; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
i bought this phone just to try windows phone.. but after 2 months i sold it to my office mate. the reason: the limited apps in windows store.. Performance of this phone is acceptable for a low to mid range phone..this is even better than a low to mid android smartphone...less lag compared to those phone on same level that running android...based on my own experience..
8. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
True "it has no major apps and games"
9. Liveitup (Posts: 1575; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Do us a favor, quit your yapping and tell us all the major apps and games that WP does not have and ill tell you what it has, is that a deal, or you're just gonna chicken out?.
WP has a very large catalogue of the most popular apps and games with less farts apps than you know who.
12. Liveitup (Posts: 1575; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Wow that's your no major apps and games that are missing, an app thats there. Please go ahead and majority of apps and games that are missing.
57. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1385; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
None of the tegrazone games , infinity blade
55. xoxoGeorges (Posts: 207; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
Actually, the beta is quite good, it's faster and looks much better than 6tag.
13. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
All major Android ios apps are not available. Even if they are, they don't function and have missing features.
15. Liveitup (Posts: 1575; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Come on buddy give us the names of the majority of apps and games.
20. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Flipboard, AutoCad 360, YouTube, MKV player, Audi MMI, BMW assist, Mercedes Benz ... (other car apps), Singapore Air, Emirates, Virgin ... Starbucks, Nike+ RUN, Nike+ training, Adidas, Phillips light, B&O remote, siemens smarthouse, quadrocopter remote), Samsung remote, Sony PS Zone, AOK. Bank apps, Lloyds international, HSBC,..... And loads loads more.
30. sip1995 (Posts: 944; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
All I read was " Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah"
43. Liveitup (Posts: 1575; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Many new apps are coming to WP Flipboard is slated. Mytube and Metrotube rivals the Youtube on Android or iOS.
Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Vine, Flickr, Groupon, Linked In, Pintrest, tumblr, Adobe reader, Adobe reader express, Audible Audiobooks, Amazon Kindle USA today, ABC News, Bloomberg,CNN,, 7-Eleven, ABC News, Adobe Reader, Amtrak, Animal Planet, Comedy central, At Bat 13, Best Buy, CBS Sports, Discover Channel, Domino's, Facebook (major update), Hipstamatic Oggl,500 PX iHeartRadio, FilmON TV, LivingSocial, MapQuest, Mint, NASCAR Mobile 13, Barclays, , Redbox, TLC, Viber, Voxer, Walgreens, Waze, Wells Fargo,Path, Facebook messenger, Wells Fargo, Ally E harmony, Go to meeting, IMDB, Flixster, Jongla. Priceline, Skype, Tune in Radio, American Airlines, Delta, Vimeo, VH1,WhatsApp and that is just scratching the surface.
Here are a few of the many games?
Angry Birds Go!, Angry Birds: Star Wars II, Asphalt 7, Asphalt 8: Airborne, Despicable Me: Minion Rush, Solitaire, Mahjong, mineaweeperGrand theft auto San Andreas, Jetpack Joyride, Monsters University, N.O.V.A. 3, Order and Chaos, Into the dead, Star Wars: Tiny Death Star, Fifa 13, Temple Run Brave, Temple Run Oz, Turbo, UNO & Friends, Agent P, Where's My Mickey, Where's My Water 2, Subway surfer, Space shooter X, Temple run 2, Trial Xtreme 3 etc,Rayman Jungle Run , Captain America: The Winter Soldier,Flappy Bird .
Plus have exclusives like Halo etc.
Your major apps and games argument holds as much water as a strainer.
44. meanestgenius (Posts: 2214; Member since: 28 May 2014)
You should have also mentioned 6tag, IMO. It's a 3rd party app for Instagram, which has much better features than the actual Instagram app. I prefer it to Instagram whenever I fire up my Lumia 925.
53. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Flipboard is coming, it is already available on Windows. YouTube is entiely Scroogle's fault. And all of the other sh*t you've mentioned are minor apps. Most of the people don't use them. I don't think 100 million people in the world own an Audi or BMW. Stop yapping BS here. Do something productive.
22. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Wp halfbaked fake major apps, like youtube and no Google services.. That Sucks.
16. smallworld (Posts: 439; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
Still funny to see wp fanboys defending their beloved platform.
58. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1385; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Agree , I bought one , its a POS , nothing wrong with the phone , the apps are almost non existent , most apps are just poorly coded web apps claiming to be the real thing . I keep it around incase society collapses so i wont miss the apps then
6. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
12 million sold, but made no profit, but pertential losses.
21. billgates (banned) (Posts: 555; Member since: 29 May 2014)
It was nice on this site before farty arte came back
36. Doakie (Posts: 1328; Member since: 06 May 2009)
Has anyone reported on the fact that the newer AT&T 520 models aren't the same size as the first run of models? I have a T-Mobile 521 which I bought a TPU case for an AT&T 520 and it fit just fine. But I just bought a prepaid AT&T 520 for my father one week ago and it's about a quarter of an inch shorter. Blew me away. I thought the 520 & 521 were the same size. Or have the 520's and 521's always been different heights and I just never caught that?
38. Doakie (Posts: 1328; Member since: 06 May 2009)
OH. I guess there's a noted 4mm difference in height. I never knew that...
"It’s nearly identical to the 520 save for very minor dimensional differences and T-Mobile branding"
54. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
The 521 is slightly taller than the international 520. That isn't Nokia's fault though. They had to make it taller to accommodate the TMobile branding on the front.
49. gigaraga (Posts: 1381; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
I like how their low range sells better than the high end. Probably because its price too much for a device that is not even that capable anyways (in the high end WP segment)...
59. elitewolverine (Posts: 2068; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Not that capable? I guess, i dont miss much from my note 3 when i go to my 925 other than screen