Nokia: "Hey Apple: 'Today we announce a colourful, fast and affordable 8GB smartphone'"
0. phoneArena 18 Mar 2014, 08:32 posted on
One of today’s big news is that Apple is launching an 8GB iPhone 5c to give customers who want the colorful, ‘unapologetically’ plastic iPhone…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
The want to be 1%, got called out.
28. akki20892 (Posts: 3901; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
We can get from 550€, - note 3 or lumia 1520, or 1020 or g2 or one or s5 or many other.
2. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Ha. Great to see a jab first thing in the morning.
3. Sauce (unregistered)
That's what I was thinking. Hopefully there will be more interesting stories today.
60. Doakie (Posts: 2007; Member since: 06 May 2009)
What's funny is that this smear campaign actually earned them one sale.
I had bought my father an Alcatel One Touch Evolve a couple months back for $49.99, it was his first smartphone. Recently I've had frustrations with how it has run out of internal space once the stock Google Apps did all their updates, it has now started complaining with "internal storage is full" errors. The only app he cares about is Google Earth but once you install Earth that maxes out the available storage. Since the beginning I was thinking of getting him a Nokia 521 because Windows Phone is much more noob friendly, and I should have known better than to get him an Android phone because he can barely shut down a PC. He keeps dragging icons all over and not knowing where they went.
Either way I finally ordered him up a T-Mobile Nokia 521 today after reading this article from Newegg for $59.99. I think he'll be more satisfied with the 521. But he'll have to deal with looking at Microsoft/Nokia maps without a Google Earth... So heres to dealing with the "No Google Earth" backlash.
4. Finalflash (Posts: 3093; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Lol well heavy competition in Apple's home ground, and they still have to sell the current line up for about 7 months. Not going to be a good year for their stock holders.
7. androiphone20 (Posts: 1654; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
"Not going to be a good year for their stock holders." That was bound to happen last year.
38. Finalflash (Posts: 3093; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
It did, but they ate up quite a bit of the stock to shore it up. They don't have any buy back plans this year though, so any drops that happen will likely be fairly long term.
6. androiphone20 (Posts: 1654; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
Nokia already taking notes from Ballmer's BS notebook. The last time I checked it was not doing them any good, there goes Nokia's dignity.
11. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
The Lumia 520 is the reason why WP is at ~4% market share and the #1 phone in developing countries.
Don't start again.
22. androiphone20 (Posts: 1654; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
If the 520 was doing any better then they wouldn't be taking shots at the 5C, try again junior
23. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
You aren't so bright are you? It's called marketing, something every company does. Please Google the success of the Nokia 520/521 in developing countries. Not sure if you know how to read either since nowhere in my post did I say the 520/521 was better. It's okay - school is always an option.
Keep up the work on giving green thumbs to your posts with your second account.
30. androiphone20 (Posts: 1654; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
You must be going bananas can't you the read? "taking shots at the 5C," perfectly normal for wimpy little degenerates. Btw, this is not a second account and that means you failed, some people call them losers...I do too. Junior.
37. sgodsell (Posts: 3640; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
Nokia is NOT doing well in the smartphone market with WP. Why else would they release 3 forked Android phones in India and China that only use Microsoft apps and services. Why not use WP instead. WP is not a success story in any sense of the word. Sales have proven that. Its not like WP didn't have time to grow. The world was first introduced to WP at MWC back in February of 2010.
49. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
So the 520/521/525 are not successful?
41. sgodsell (Posts: 3640; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
Anyone who gets the 520 knows that its a cheap phone. There is no camera flash or front facing camera on the 520/521/525. It has a cheap 800x480 LCD display that doesn't even have protection like gorilla glass or anything. Its a WP device to try and pull customers in to Microsoft's apps and services. That's all is designed for.
43. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
He can't process any of that because he can't accept the truth that 520/521/525 is doing better than the 5C.
48. androiphone20 (Posts: 1654; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
Junior, why are you wussing behind people's posts? You may have missed post 37
50. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Nope. Caught it.
I'm doing what you do best. :')
Btw, I still don't see you here.
25. androiphone20 (Posts: 1654; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
That device sure is dirt cheap and do you know what that means? Profit margin on each handset is painfully low. Have you considered that junior?
27. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
While devices sold and market share increase each year on top of more users on Microsoft's software and services. Have you considered that kid?
31. androiphone20 (Posts: 1654; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
*increases, lol are you shaking? If the 520 is a cheaper gateway to MS services then it doesn't compare to the 5C. Thanks for playing, junior .
34. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
That's the whole point of 520/521 lol. There's no point in trying to have a conversation with you. You're so far in the Apple Zone to where it becomes rather sad kid.
36. androiphone20 (Posts: 1654; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
You started the convo junior, throwing in the towel? Appreciated
39. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
How's Microsoft Office running on the iPhone 5S?
42. androiphone20 (Posts: 1654; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
If it calls for productivity I use my Macbook Air or tablet son and it's iWork not Office. Is office superior? Yes, but again if the 520 bests the 5S on productivity then maybe it's best kept in a drawer at the office
44. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Lol and if I wanted true productivity, I can use a Lumia 1520 instead of having to carry both an iPhone 5S and MacBook Air. Looks like your beloved iPhone 5C is showing signs of defeat.
45. androiphone20 (Posts: 1654; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
Enough, we're talking about Nokia trash talking the 8gb iphone 5C, anything beyond that calls for a different argument.
47. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Is that why the "Nokia trash" pushed Apple to release a 8GB model of the 5C? I don't see you anywhere on that article like you are here lol.
51. androiphone20 (Posts: 1654; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
** drops lettuce and mayo on to shirt** yea sure, whatever. You only succeeded in wasting my time already.
26. DarkStar286 (Posts: 218; Member since: 18 Mar 2014)
Not at all, Nokia have been poking fun at their competitors for many years now and there's nothing wrong with that. Especially when said competitors do something as ridiculous as releasing a phone very few people actually want at a price that nobody (at least nobody in their right mind) will be willing to pay.
35. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Apple is #1 in his head. The kid can't understand technology like regular people do.
8. addicted2088 (Posts: 53; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
Wait, fast? Even devices like the HTC 8x and all the dual-core Lumias have enough Resuming.. and Loading.. screens to tell that WP is not fast on that hardware. Windows Phone is certainly smooooooth, but (especially compared to iOS) it's not fast..
But yes, you could buy 5 Lumia 520s for the same price as the iPhone 5c 8GB and have one for each day of the week. xD
10. boosook (Posts: 1437; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Though I'd never buy an iphone and I admit it's overpriced, I'd rather get one 5c than five 520s. At least, I could take some decent photos and look at them in a high resolution screen. Five Salieri do not make a Mozart.
15. addicted2088 (Posts: 53; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
Haha, of course, there really is no comparison between the two devices, this is just Nokia trying to get in on the fun as it always tries to. Much better camera, better ecosystem, faster and flagship-level hardware, better display, etc., there's no competition here.
But then again, given how the success of Windows Phone based on the Lumia 520 in markets where iPhone is too costly (and hence not a high market share holder) is touted by the media/Microsoft/Nokia, this doesn't come as a surprise.
P.S.: Wouldn't spend on iPhone myself, prefer Android and would rather buy an Android flagship for those prices.
16. hurrycanger (Posts: 1563; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
Exactly. Very smooth, but not fast. At least the smoothness is nice though, especially on the Lumia 520/521.
But hey, why not just buy 5 different backs and save over 250 bucks? XD
9. boosook (Posts: 1437; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Oh, come on! I'm not an Apple fan (and I actually do think that the 5c is badly overpriced), but you can't compare a Nokia 520 with an iphone 5c, unless the only thing you care about in a phone is the color.
Nokia (or Microsoft?) is getting ridiculous with those marketing campaigns that constantly bash Apple and Google instead of promoting their own products.
14. smguk (Posts: 22; Member since: 18 Mar 2014)
So you would pay £300 more to get a phone with vary similar specs to the 520 but with lack of external storage that only has a slightly better screen and camera ? LOL
20. smguk (Posts: 22; Member since: 18 Mar 2014)
Yes soon be on my 7th WP since WP7 as i like to change phones alot. After using Android from the first phone it was released on the G1 and then eventually using a iPhone 3GS for 2 weeks after multiple androids i decided to try WP out and imo its easily the best of all 3 Operating Systems and WP8.1 is very soon which adds in alot of stuff still missing
32. alterecho (Posts: 1098; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
Good that you've managed to like and be happy with Windows Phone.
I'll state some facts though. Don't think i'm trying to sway you away.
iPhone 3GS's last possible OS update was 5.1. So your last encounter with iOS was 5.1.
G1 was running first iterations of Android (1.6).
I too am looking forward to WP 8.1(badly) which will, hopefully, correct the massive list of missing features.
58. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Ok..you used an old iPhone model and an old android model...and you think Windows is the best now?.....lmao...priceless
64. smguk (Posts: 22; Member since: 18 Mar 2014)
I guess you can't read.. Shame because now you look like a right tit.
21. addicted2088 (Posts: 53; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
Much better camera, much better screen (sharper, better colors/accuracy), faster OS (yes, Windows Phone on Lumia 520 is smooth, not fast, there's a big difference), front-facing camera, higher-quality apps and larger ecosystem on the iPhone 5c.
But again, there is simply no comparison. The iPhone 5c 8GB is overpriced, but even then it's stupid to compare the Lumia 520 to it. But alas, Nokia doesn't learn and continues to taunt everyone instead of advertising why people should buy its products.
17. alterecho (Posts: 1098; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
The phone should offer some features to promote something. Nokia took care of the hardware very well, but it runs Windows Phone OS, so they can't talk/promote much about the OS. Hence the jabs.
19. smguk (Posts: 22; Member since: 18 Mar 2014)
There's nothing wrong with WP especially compared to IOS.
33. alterecho (Posts: 1098; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
You just lost your credibility with that statement.
To think, i took you seriously, previously.
53. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
YOU lost credibility with YOUR statement. If he likes WP8, what's wrong with that?
To think I took YOU seriously, previously.
54. alterecho (Posts: 1098; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
"YOU lost credibility with YOUR statement"
"If he likes WP8, what's wrong with that? "
Nothing wrong with him liking WP. But him claiming, that there's nothing wrong with WP compared to iOS (or Android), thats what is not right. It gives the impression that those platforms are worse than Windows Phone.
55. smguk (Posts: 22; Member since: 18 Mar 2014)
lol really apart from the number of apps theres not one area that IOS does better than WP.
Go and compare a Lumia 1520 to the 5s and tell me which has the better Screen/Camera/Storage/Processor/Battery and with the new WP8.1 update a ton of features that iPhone can only dream of.
59. alterecho (Posts: 1098; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
"There's nothing wrong with WP especially compared to IOS"
That was your claim, and now, when asked for details, you claim the hardware is better (screen/camera/storage/processor) than the competition. Which, on the other hand, again backs up my claim that Windows Phone is selling ONLY because of Nokia's hardware.
63. smguk (Posts: 22; Member since: 18 Mar 2014)
WP beats IOS in Speed / Functionality / Customisation etc etc
You can't and haven't named one area where IOS is superior which proves my point
13. dritani (Posts: 14; Member since: 14 Oct 2013)
I would certainly buy NL 520 before this one...now I do understand what "iphone sh...s" means!!!
24. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
what i understand about 'unapologetically plastic iPhone' =
we wont apologize that we used plastic for iphone.
there you go
29. tigermcm (Posts: 855; Member since: 02 Sep 2009)
regardless what OS it is I cannot see the justification in such a huge price difference. does 3mp, better screen and expandable memory really cost $600+........? I mean that's pretty much all I keep seeing being said in the comments.
40. DigitalJedi_X2 (banned) (Posts: 346; Member since: 30 Jan 2012)
CR@ppl3 just doesn't get it. Who is the 5c supposed to be affordable for? I'm no fan of WP by any means, but Nokia has a point. Why would anyone overpay for a 5c when you can get 5 Lumia 520's(as was previously pointed out) or a 32gb Nexus 5 and a 16gb Moto G or any other of the flagship devices and still have change left over for dinner? Couldn't you even get an iPhone 5s at that price point? Sorry Apple fans, Nokia was right on the money with this one.
65. Tamer81 (Posts: 37; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
It's almost 10 Lumia 520's you can get with the same price of the Apple 5C AND it has expandable memory! You could get 2 Lumia 925's which is IMO far better looking than the 5C.
46. Scorpion (Posts: 103; Member since: 28 Apr 2012)
Good move for Nokia, but there are so many Android alternatives with better price to value ratio. Xperia S comes to mind. LG L9, Galaxy SII plus also.
Or Samsung's Ativ S WP8 phone even.