Nokia, HTC, Motorola and more take to Twitter to rain on Apple's big day
0. phoneArena 10 Sep 2013, 19:59 posted on
Not everyone was all that happy to let Apple have its day in the spotlight and leave it at that. Of course, it shouldn't be much of a surprise that competing companies would take to Twitter to try to draw a bit of attention away from Apple and its iPhone announcements. Some worked well, some didn't, and some were just odd, so let's round up the most notable...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
25. TheLolGuy (Posts: 483; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
I would guess not, probably because of privacy concerns (spare me the NSA jokes please)
Apple made a pretty big bet with the fingerprint sensor, so I figure they'll add more stuff as they think of more ideas. If the next iPhone doesn't have the fingerprint sensor, it'll basically be admitting failure and it won't look good.
27. Commentator (Posts: 3701; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Ha! I could just imagine (and I cruelly will NOT spare you) some app called "Totally NOT the Official App of the NSA! FREE NO ADS DOWNLOAD NOW!!!" with a bunch of fake 5 star reviews.
PA just reported that the scanner will not be accessible by third-parties. Shame.
24. roldefol (Posts: 4302; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I don\'t get why we\'re trying to reinvent the way we unlock phones. Face Unlock is silly (particularly the part about smiling at the phone), fingerprint unlock is silly too. I see how it might be useful for the iTunes account login though.
26. Commentator (Posts: 3701; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Fingerprint makes more sense than face-unlock, and is faster and probably more secure.
I still prefer to keep my phone unlocked entirely though, so if you ever run into my phone in the wild somewhere, lucky you!
30. TheLolGuy (Posts: 483; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
Y'know, my brother once found out my unlock pattern from the light smudge traces... (took a few tries, but yeah) Now I make sure to wipe any evidence from time to time.
You're right about the face-unlock though. Face unlock is relatively speedy, at least from my testing. I've found it to be highly unreliable though. Me and my dad don't look much alike, but he can bypass it by changing the angle of his face or stepping into a darker or lighter area. It seems to randomly unlock -- unless the person trying is white/black etc. (I'm asian) I've even tested using a smartphone showing a picture of me to my phone and it unlocked!
70. Klamba92 (Posts: 210; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
Yh that\'s true, I personally use face unlock daily because it is quick and somewhat secure against friends messing with your phone. But jelly bean stops people unlocking with a pic with the liveliness check this asks you to blink to unlock.
20. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10457; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Looks like PA got my TIP I sent them. :)
28. SmartPhoneStream (Posts: 162; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)
I have nothing against WP or Nokia, but they seriously have to find another argument for why people should switch to their phones than the camera
33. roldefol (Posts: 4302; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Trying to claim their 4 MP UltraPixel camera is somehow better than Apple\'s new 8 MP unit. Nice try, HTC.... no wait, it wasn\'t.
34. ngo2dd (Posts: 896; Member since: 08 Jul 2011)
If you say so. Many website like, technobuffalo, phonedog, engadaget, anandtech. Love the cameras. So stop being a Damn fanboy
36. Commentator (Posts: 3701; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
I'm hoping they at least double the pixel count for the One Max at any rate.
38. a_merryman (Posts: 749; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
Thats what I think HTC shouldve gone with. At 8mp and everything else the same with their ultrapixel tech, it would have been amazing. Detailed AND excellent in low-light.
49. roldefol (Posts: 4302; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I have no loyalty to any company, I just know Apple doesn\'t mess around with their cameras. HTC took a gamble that bigger pixels would solve the low light problem, and they do, but at the expense of pure detail. I\'m just saying their tweet was weak and took a tech geek to interpret.
35. Commentator (Posts: 3701; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
If Apple deigned to respond they could easily say "(1.5 x 8) > (2 x 4) Basic math."
37. -box- (Posts: 3991; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Size of the camera sensor or megapixels in microns. I forget which (and too uninterested to research).
39. Commentator (Posts: 3701; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
I think it would have to be the pixels. If it were the whole sensor, the size of the pixels would be measured in nanometers.
40. bwhiting (Posts: 188; Member since: 15 Jun 2013)
LMAO I cannot belive McDonald's getting involved in this whole thing for real. That was just ridiculous for real man.
42. nasznjoka (Posts: 402; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
If this was done by LG or(M)OKIA or whatever it could just have been a normal day and just another phone out!!! But majority of these blogs\\\\\\\' techies are ishee***ps and they praise whatever apple brings out with full force! can you really compare this scanner (only) to the powers of note3? But look at \\\\\\\'em all phonearena,cnet,gsmarena,theverge ... etc all are fanboys
45. shamataa (Posts: 217; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
This is a good day b/c Apple deserve it. No mercy's Apple idiots. I hope Google,Sony,Samsung,Asus, and LG join to fight for the people.
56. saurabh9022 (Posts: 7; Member since: 10 Sep 2013)
isalute #apple for making such amazing iPhone 5s and 5c.
Samsong galaxy NOOB3
HVC One xxx ( horny names )
Nokaai Luu ( keep calm you are SOLD )
Stop tweeting and stand in quee to Buy an amazing #apple #iPhone
48. suavemezie (Posts: 84; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)
iphone 5C is a carbon copy of Nokia Lumia 620 both in design and colours
53. fuzzkage (Posts: 17; Member since: 29 Dec 2012)
apple don\'t have to make any huge leaps like android devices because they have a huge connected ecosystem its user friendly and since its not broke apparently theres no need for fixing millions will be sold like always... Apple business strategies are genius if you ask me
66. Topcat488 (Posts: 1396; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Well since you probably haven't been around pimps, or don't know the the basic rules of pimpoligy. I'll let you in on a secret:
RULES of a PIMP
#1 The "Bottom B!tch" is allowed to complain...
#2 Never let your "BB" go free (free means no-money)...
HTC is bringing money with every smartphone they sell for Apple. HTC="BB"
60. aldridhl (Posts: 73; Member since: 12 Feb 2011)
What do McDonald's wings have to do with the iphone?!?