Nokia CFO: Next Lumia to be a 'hero' phone
"What we’re trying to do is really make sure that we’re shifting the focus towards hero experiences. So, you hear us talking a lot about imaging, and so, you should watch...for us to continue to advance the state of the art, like what is the best experience in imaging on devices," Ihamuotila said.
Of course, we can't be certain that he's talking about the Lumia 928, but with a bit of luck, it'll the handset that Nokia is going to announce at its May 14 event. Not that we'd mind it if we get introduced to Nokia's first Windows tablet instead.
Mr. Ihamuotila also made sure to explain that the imaging aspect of Nokia's future handsets will remain just as important, if not even more. The company's current flagship, the Lumia 920, introduced us to some pretty cool innovations in the camera department like the optical image stabilization for example, which makes a world of difference when shooting video. By the looks of it, we should expect even more awesome experiences by Nokia in the near future. "But the pattern you should also watch for from us is taking that [camera] experience and delivering appropriate levels of that experience on lower price point devices through the range…there is some form of differentiated imaging story," the CFO added.
Of course, we'll be covering Nokia's May 14 event live, so stay tuned!
1. charming (Posts: 4; Member since: 28 Apr 2013)
but actual nokia you should choose android for better feature
4. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
or you could stop whining and move on nokia =wp8 deal with it and there making ground with it
they are setting themselves apart from the swarm of android with nokia's specialities
choice is what we want and nokia are bringing more of it
44. tuminatr (Posts: 680; Member since: 23 Feb 2009)
I think they should make both windows phone and android
51. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
but there not in the position to split there resources to another os...there doing whats best for the company which is focus on one os and become the main player
but whats really annoying is most that go on about android and nokia only say it out of fanboy blindness they just want android everything as they see it as perfect. and the fact half wouldn't put there money where there mouth is and actually buy it
57. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
I don't know what the deal is with companies having to be 1 OS for phones, HTC for example makes both android and windows handsets.
59. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
and look how there doing, not very well luckily for them they seem to be improving with the HTC one (great device)
nokia are focusing on one os to come back as major players in the mobile world and its working.....for a fanboys like yourself who loves to mouth off about how you have so much choice with android to then be begging and moaning for nokia to go android and even more to slate every other android device that isnt samsung your pretty one way and biased
your view is android is perfection and samsung are gods......we all know your this way we have seen your comments
61. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
If you buy either Samsung or HTC your an idiot. Both the HTC One and S4 are terrible devices. Extremley disappointed in 2013 phones so far. I have had a Nexus 4 since launch and I see no reason to switch besides sharper displays.
67. Dastrix (Posts: 587; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
Yeah, but look at where HTC is now. Android = Samsung, WP = Nokia.. So HTC really stands below Samsung and Nokia both ways, even though they do make great phones. That's why Nokia choosing WP only was the best option, like chaoticrazor best put it.
5. tashreef (Posts: 476; Member since: 24 Nov 2012)
which better features you are talking about ?
Lag? LOL We don't need it...
14. Kurai (unregistered)
tell that to Jellybean . . . nitwit
31. jacobspeeds (Posts: 34; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
f**k jellybean...android is so f**kin inefficient...they'll take ages to refine it...all their versions are like betas...and they're using all u fanf**kINGdroids to test their laggy bulls**t
16. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Surely if Androids feautres were given on Wp it would lag even more.
Android no longer lags after ics and jb has no lags with highend Android device!
We dont need an outdated device on Android by Nokia™
22. tashreef (Posts: 476; Member since: 24 Nov 2012)
everyone can't afford high end device ......
Look at the low end WP device .... much smoother than any High End Android device.....
42. chocolaking (Posts: 440; Member since: 22 May 2012)
I see a good come back of Nokia in the future.
63. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Thats because nothings running. Get a low end android 4.0 or higher device and run at minimal task and it will be smooth.
48. freebee269 (Posts: 521; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
jelly bean has no lags huh? check out these threads talking about samsungs flagship on 4.2.2....lagging.
that's the first 6 threads in the general section for at&t gs4.
your trolling = denied.
55. sprockkets (Posts: 1160; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Apparently the culprit is the SG4, as one poster said, "Those phones are blazing, and honestly my old Note 2 was faster than this S4."
But two can play that stupid game:
Bottom line: Who gives a s**t?
69. freebee269 (Posts: 521; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
The people buying the phones care, common sense should have answered that for you. But i guess i gave you too much credit. And i never said Windows phones don't lag. I was just showing the troll what he said is false. More reading comprehension please.
45. kozza3 (Posts: 574; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
yea bro, my n4 lags so hard! its the best feature though!
72. JojoGo101 (Posts: 211; Member since: 17 Dec 2012)
Thats a lie Kozza, but I agree to a certain point, android stutters on some apps.
8. SIGPRO (Posts: 444; Member since: 03 Oct 2012)
Damn people enough crying about why Nokia choose WP.
Android is not good enough, it lags and full of bugs.
WP is faster and snappier, glad Nokia did not chose Android!
Android is not the future!
23. Kurai (unregistered)
Android is not the future? 1.5 million Android devices are being activated per day . . . PER DAY . . . .and have you ever tried Jellybean? For f**k's sake stop comparing Android with WP8 . . .Android is Open source . . .everything can be fixed with custom ROMs . . .that's right CUSTOM ROMs . . .
26. tashreef (Posts: 476; Member since: 24 Nov 2012)
and in that 1.5 million Android owners, how many of many of them know to root their device.. or at least what does Rooting Means or what a CUSTOM ROM is?....
may be none of them....
33. Kurai (unregistered)
I just opposed his comment about android not being the future because it's a bulls**t opinion. . . i'm not saying that all android users can root their devices or install custom roms on them . . . what i'm trying to say is android is way more ahead than wp8 . . .and wp8 is still young and still have a lot to improve . .
41. Aeires (unregistered)
I fail to see any relevance in that. The average user doesn't know what root is and doesn't need to know. The average user is also what is making the massive portion of the daily sales.
12. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5404; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Even though I love Android, but I must say that Android always LAG!
Nokia made a smart choice to go with Windows Phone!
19. mafiaprinc3 (Posts: 319; Member since: 07 May 2012)
have you ever used a phone with jellybean?
android does require more memory and processing power because it's true multitasking like windows but with jelly bean it's all good.
25. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5404; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
I'm using a Sony Xperia Z with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, even though the Xperia Z is running 1.5 GHz quad core with 2GB of RAM, it will still lag, for example when playing games like Asphalt 7.
39. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 819; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Sorry but Sony can't optimize their software, their high end devices only benchmark high, the user experience is laggy.
See the second point. Even my One X which was a 2012 flagship doesn't lag, Sony must be doing something wrong.
43. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5404; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Ok, Sony must be doing something wrong.
But what about my cousin's Galaxy S3, it lags too, I'm not kidding!
47. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 819; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Did he update to jellybean? If yes there is the reason, Samsung released a half baked update infested with bugs last year, he should try to update the phone to the latest build of jellybean Samsung made available.
50. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5404; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Yup, he updated his S3 to Jelly Bean but not the latest, he said that he will update to the latest build later, he's always busy.
13. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
If it did it would use outdated midrange or last years Cpu and Gpu, so it would be like buying a highend Nokia device with midrange specs, but surely it will have the best camera™
36. RiseAgainst94 (Posts: 271; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
I agree, Android does have better features and it is far more intuitive. Just compare how long it takes to change the Wifi,bluetooth, etc settings. Also, you cannot customize Windows Phone very much - 3 sized tiles, limited colors, and you have to select a theme instead of individually changing each tile? It's too restrictive and not intuitive enough yet.
Also, haven't the last 2 Nokia devices been "Hero" phones. We've been saying the same thing for years now.
This all coming from someone who has owned and used a Lumia 900 for the past 13 months.
40. Aeires (unregistered)
Wish they would do both Android and WP.
52. akki20892 (Posts: 3441; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
just watch and see, in some year how Nokia and WP will........!!! right now they are fighting hard and they will success for sure.........!!!
53. Leo_MC (Posts: 520; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
Android phones are so bad that you want Nokia hardware to run Google's os?
56. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
Go for HTC, Sony or Samsung and stop arguing.
64. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
If you want a smooth phone get an intel powered one. It will fail at games but will be smooth and multitask like a champion.
70. MC1123 (Posts: 1240; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
better features? lol android is just costumizable! nothing special! besides even though its already at version 4.2 its still laggy as hell!!
a REAL awesome OS is that its optimize even to run on an ancient technology yet it is modern! symbian can do what android can! nokia just need to rewrite symbian!!
Meego is way better option than symbian and WP! but heck nokia just ditch it!
2. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5751; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
IDK. From everything that has leaked, the L928 seems like a warmed over L920. Almost like a L920S. I think the real 'hero' phone will be the one that includes the 41+ Mp PureView sensor. That one will most likely launch Fall, 2013 on AT&T.
3. juandante (Posts: 301; Member since: 23 Apr 2013)
Yes but the Microsoft’s OS bug rises again…
6. Jcdz100 (Posts: 16; Member since: 14 Apr 2013)
Nokia is definitely capable of doing something great in camera department.. But it's not everything, they need to strengthen other aspects too... Love to see competition..
7. dangchitrung (Posts: 57; Member since: 04 Apr 2012)
Ladies and Gentlemen
Today, we Nokia are honored to bring you a product that crushes every Iphone and Galaxy badly, CALLED---- "HAMMER"...
No, seriously, it is a hammer.
11. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1139; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
meh, still better than those two phones.
9. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5404; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Nokia will be the hero again! I'm waiting for your comeback Nokia!
Go Nokia Go! :)
21. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Please don't make me laugh my AO, nokia the hero....! More like a year or 2 behind that others. Surely a hero with those big heavy wide thick oversised phones, with hardly and apps and games. A hero in living nowhere™
28. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5404; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
You think like that because you have small hands! :O
62. Emily1985 (Posts: 123; Member since: 08 Nov 2012)
You think like that because you have small brain! :0
xperiaDROID, sorry for copying.
65. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Lol all the downvotes on this guy because he speaks the truth that you tards can't take.
15. cornerofthemoon (Posts: 505; Member since: 20 Apr 2010)
If the leaked pics of the Lumia 928 are the real deal, then I don't see that being the hero. It's more Clark Kent than Superman.
29. lubba (Posts: 1310; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
@charming... What feature are you talking about on Android that's better? I'm sorry but customer satisfaction rate regarding WP and Nokia is pretty darn good. And Nokia already have features missing in Android.
30. lubba (Posts: 1310; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
Troll and his BS .02$ is back! Welcome Troll! So what BS you got for us today? Nokia this Nokia that?
34. XperiaPrince (Posts: 108; Member since: 25 Dec 2012)
WP is the future! THE KING IS BACK!!!
35. KParks23 (Posts: 448; Member since: 13 Oct 2010)
WTF is a HERO phone? Are they just making words up to put in front of the word phone well i want the next gen BOSS phone!
37. ryq24 (Posts: 492; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Nokia always make great phones but windows lack of apps is killing them! And also samsung's great marketing strategy is something nokia should really emulate!
54. Leo_MC (Posts: 520; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
The lack of apps in Android didn't killed it; quite the contrary: it became no 1 selling platform.
Why do you think WP can't do the same considering it's app store is growing faster than the play store did a few years ago?!
58. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
It has much more to do than with apps, that is only one of the problems with it.