Nokia CEO gets spotted with a security escort home after layoff announcement
1. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5164; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
The latest story about the decline of a former 1,000 lb. Gorilla of the cell phone market. Pretty sad when the CEO has to scurry home from the office with a security detail.
2. tumchaaditya (Posts: 66; Member since: 21 May 2012)
they soooo should have kept a backup plan in form of MeeGo.....
its sad to see such decline of a company that has been defining mobile phones for years...
17. AhmadAlsayegh (Posts: 233; Member since: 18 Jul 2011)
I doubt a company as big as Nokia wouldn't have a contingency plan
but apparently it doesnt contain an operating system... I Think their contingency plan at this point is laying off 10k people
23. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
The man bring more harm than good to Nokia and should be assassinated
3. matrix_neo (Posts: 307; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Since he became CEO of Nokia, terrible things happened. Maybe he's aware that his mishandling the company which other or mostly people taught of, is now threatening him. If that the case, he'd better resigned before next day report he was murdered. Just saying...
I' used to be nokia fan before, while he is still not in Nokia.
21. Lucas777 (Posts: 2121; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
he was the first to produce a device other than symbian... i give him credit for using wp, as they would be even worse off trying to scramble for other oses now... the meego plan failed so that wasnt a great option
24. buhhhh (Posts: 1; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
Define "Failed"? wasn't meego scrapped before being officially launched?
5. alpinejason (Posts: 249; Member since: 06 Sep 2011)
it wouldn't be like he didn't have it coming or anything like that
6. pongkie (Posts: 491; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)
from experience nokia phones are like bricks... they are very tough
7. remixfa (Posts: 13901; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
the truth of the matter is Nokia was dead in the water long before Elop came around. They were paralyzed and not making any decisions. Like him or not, he made some hard decisions. Are they the right ones? Only time will tell.. but its not Elop's fault Nokia is having a hard time. Its the previous CEO's fault for completely ignoring apple and android.
9. mafiaprinc3 (Posts: 254; Member since: 07 May 2012)
true words, nokia sat back relaxed for too long while android and ios started to dominate the market the same thing happend with microsoft & windows mobile
13. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Eflop hate,s dislike,s high end hardware. Nokia was never fore-front
tech... when Samsung Htc and other,s were looking into the future,
Nokia just took it easy. And now there suffering..good
20. Pdubb (Posts: 234; Member since: 08 Aug 2011)
It isn't like they were slowing down Apple or Android with Symbian. Anyone with any sense could see that Nokia was in trouble just like RIM and Windows Mobile. They all were too arrogant(lazy) to evolve into what was next. Windows has now taken the next step we will see what RIM does with QNX. Nokia going with MS was a sound business decision because it meant they didn't have to go it alone. They knew they were slipping well before we(common consumer) could tell. Elop is in a bad place because how do you stop a ship from sinking without jettison some cargo. Collateral damage was bound to occur.
8. darktranquillity (Posts: 284; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
Nokia should engage SWAT to protect themselves from Microsoft agent Elop.
10. mercorp (Posts: 945; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
Afraid of unhappy workers,apple,htc or samsung spies assasinating him?
Elop should have done a better job.
11. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Eflop ur "WANTEAD" buy public... U traitor.bad sad. person...
12. jmoita2 (Posts: 930; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
Here, laugh a little...
My Bold, Secret 10-Point Action Plan to Save Nokia
by Stephen Elop, CEO
1. Issue flame-retardant clothing for all employees
2. Sue BP for "burning platform" disaster
3. No more of this silly Finnish talk around here. I don't even know what the hell you people are saying half the time. From now on, it's English-only.
4. Partner with my former employer, Microsoft. If anyone knows how to win in the smartphone market, it's Steve Ballmer.
5. Start rumor that Apple CEO Steve Jobs is going on an indefinite medical leave of absence.
6. Begin selling furniture, take advantage of confusion between Nokia and Ikea.
7. I will go to Lenscrafters to pick out more modern glasses, something with bolder frames. I now realize the "junior-high math teacher from the 1980s" look lacks gravitas.
8. DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS! (Not an action point, it just feels good to yell that at the top of my lungs once in awhile. Another tip I learned from Ballmer.)
9. Increase my salary and benefits package by 50 percent. This will make me twice as determined and accountable. Now that's ROI!
10. Sell Nokia to AOL, become the go-to source for the latest mobile news on celebrity nip-slips and Charlie Sheen.
Note to Wall Street Journal: Do not, under any circumstances, try to take credit for this scoop. I'm watching you.
Chris Nerney writes about the business side of technology market strategies and trends, legal issues, leadership changes, mergers, venture capital, IPOs and technology stocks. Follow him on Twitter @ChrisNerney.
ITworld Today Newsletter
15. ryq24 (Posts: 428; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
nokia was already sinking and in deep trouble that's why they hired elop, an outsider, to give new ideas to the company. and what a new idea he bought in. but still i think it is still too early to judge elop.
18. tananurajkumar (Posts: 2; Member since: 18 Jun 2012)
I bet those cops are placed by Apple, Samsung and google..as the all know as long as he is arround Nokia is doomed :D :D
19. poojaroy (Posts: 52; Member since: 29 Apr 2012)
nokia was going good few years back n than they brought meego which was nice new n good .meego had new features n good ui os but it was not finished os n nokia din care to update it n after few years they completely dropped meego ,this was the time they started declining.after this they ditched Intel and joined hands with microsoft for windows os there they completely went on different road accepting new non famous os and lost completely.we can see the result now......if they would hve accepted android as their major OS they would hve been on top smarphone company in the world.ex like samsung accepting android OS as their first priority than bada.....
22. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5479; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
because the IDIOT CEO cost 9,000 jobs at NOKIA. now all the good Nokia hardware is being made in CHINESE SH!T hardware