Nokia Asha 501 now official – fun, colorful, smarter than any Asha to date
0. phoneArena 09 May 2013, 03:14 posted on
The rumor mill may have spoiled the surprise, but the Nokia Asha 501 is now official after being introduced at an event hosted by the company in New Delhi, India. And as you might expect, it's a budget-friendly phone tailored for the needs of emerging markets. However, that doesn't mean it's low on features. The Nokia Asha 501 is actually the first member of a whole new family of Asha phones, meant to be more capable and functional than ever before. In fact, these new Ashas are to be built using technology adopted by Smarterphone...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1123; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
it's MeeGOesque lol
and will sell like hot cakes in the low end market better than any low end android and actually offers value
26. tusshharish (Posts: 342; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
i like fastlane and design most............good job nokia........ :-)
33. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
Yeah, just the word branding "fastlane" sounds so cool.
2. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
What an awesome low priced phone, so much sexiness, Meego?, fun, colourful and will be a hit in the 3rd world markets! Pure genius Nokia!
3. jsdechavez (Posts: 708; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
At the entry-level, this does better than any entry-level droid. Good job Nokia.
42. boosook (Posts: 1235; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Are you sure? At the same price I can get a droid with 3G connectivity (come on, a smartphone with no 3G in 2013?), GPS (a smartphone without GPS?) and compass, which are standard in every droid.
What's more, I can get a droid with better screen resolution (320x480 vs. 240x320), higher screen size, more ram and access to every Android application on the Play store.
IMHO this phone is a joke.
45. grapeseed87 (Posts: 123; Member since: 13 Mar 2013)
IMHO you have yet to know about the rest of the world, where the 1/3 of the population lives on less than $2 a day with no proper IT infrastructure to speak of. These cheap albeit durable (Nokia is the go to phone) allow more people to enter the contemporary technology market and experience information and data even if it is at a slow rate. NOT every country in the world uses GPS, 3G, Wi-fi/Wi-Max, etc. everywhere. For most they just want the calling capability, texting (optional), FM (for news and some music), calculator, etc. Basic stuff.
58. Altair (Posts: 367; Member since: 02 Feb 2012)
If something here is a joke. It is you little android troll. Find us android device with better stats and 3G and show us how it works. If you cant, please go away.
64. TieuLaLa (Posts: 5; Member since: 09 May 2013)
Nokia make phone for everybody guy, not for u only.
Keep the world connected.
37. joesseth (Posts: 61; Member since: 18 Dec 2012)
it's $99, actually. Excluding taxes and some sh*t.
5. thunderising (Posts: 230; Member since: 25 Nov 2011)
Asha has matured enough. C'mon Nokia make a real 4 inch mid range Asha phone and wow the low end feature phone market with it!
6. rigorimpossible (Posts: 22; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
Love it. It appear as though it's smarter than a Lumia. Love my Lumia though.
7. madpiyal (Posts: 108; Member since: 11 Feb 2013)
Nokia has brought a really cool device for the masses. I like their effort to bring new goodies into the very lower end of spectrum making the life of normals colourful. No other OEM is as devoted as Nokia to bring technology to the poor. And the new OS(asha platform) is cool I think(successor of Symbian or meego).
21. aditya.k (Posts: 492; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
You wouldn't buy this if you could afford 3G costs! :D
53. blattlaus (Posts: 60; Member since: 12 Dec 2010)
It's for developing nations where 48 days standby is more important than 3G.
65. MC1123 (Posts: 1254; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
yeah, but even developing nation wants at least 3G speed!
10. jibraihimi (Posts: 710; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
Finally, multitasking at S40 at last.......... I think Nokia should also launch 3G variant of this phone.......
11. jibraihimi (Posts: 710; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
I meant to say 'in S40 at last'......... Why couldn't I see any edit button Phonearena.....???
24. Bappy (Posts: 25; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Surprise... It's not s40, it's all new asha (smarterphone) OS 1.0!
12. Sangeet (Posts: 232; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
And it still does not have multitasking!! Such a waste!!
If you want to do any other task then you have to stop the existing task and go to the other and then after you're done you will have to start the 1st task all over again..!!
Such a waste!!
20. aditya.k (Posts: 492; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
Lol. There is multi tasking actually! Don't post something without knowing it for sure! :@
36. jibraihimi (Posts: 710; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
There is multitasking...... What do you think Fastlane is for.....??? Don't make fun of yourself, and post comments without having any knowledge...........
44. Sangeet (Posts: 232; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Sorry everyone.. I found out after posting it that it has multitasking..
I am extremely sorry as i don't post crap like these ever, it was mistrakenly
Can anyone tell me how to remove my comment as it was a mistrake..
47. aditya.k (Posts: 492; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
That's the thing here! You can't remove your comment maybe unless you report your own comment! :/
14. aditya.k (Posts: 492; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
They will be releasing a phone with 3G support later, is what I heard! Also wanted to know if the other phones of the Asha series gets the update to this UI.?
15. sbw44 (Posts: 425; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
Such a cheap,sleek,stylish looking device and PA bash it with negative stuff like "has no auto-focus and no flash. Internal storage is very limited. Of course, specs like these will not impress anyone who has ever laid hands on a modern smartphone"
WTF are you expecting for a $99 smartphone? at least the UI looks fresh and fluid!
29. tashreef (Posts: 476; Member since: 24 Nov 2012)
look who's saying cheap!!! aah samsung fanboy...
Keep that to yourself buddy... That's your Tagline ....
19. KiranPAUSER (Posts: 73; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
Nice phone. Evolviton will make s40 the greatest low end os:)
23. aaron12345 (Posts: 15; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
I think Nokia should make a 4/5" flagship device but I think they should follow a strategy,
* They change to windows phone ( which they have already done) to invite more customers and improve reputation
* then while there with windows phone, develop and invent an innovative operating system,
* when they have a good reputation and a good operating system, start bringing out new phones with the new os, when their existing customers see the new devices they will be curious and may want to buy the new devices.
This is the strategy that nokia should follow, although windows phones good and all, I know Nokia can make their own operating system, but they shouldn't make it yet, give it time and then they might
30. kkk15 (Posts: 1; Member since: 08 May 2013)
New OS with cute and colorful design. i love it.
31. shreehari (Posts: 45; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
colour colour what color minching minnching colour colour this will definitely sale really good
32. GeekMovement (Posts: 1898; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
I like Nokia. They're models from low end to high end impresses me.
34. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Well done Nokia! This is the sexiest touch screen feature phone yet!
Excellent Nokia! x)
35. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
*Sorry about that, it should be "This is the sexiest budget-friendly SMARTphone yet!"
Excellent Nokia! x)
38. aco96 (Posts: 226; Member since: 12 Oct 2012)
This UI looks great. Much improved than the one on Symbian devices
40. Adler374 (Posts: 4; Member since: 07 May 2013)
hopefully it sounds as awesome as the Asha 311. Best music quality I've heard on a phone, especially in this price range. Sounds even even better than my iphone 5. I'm being subjective of course.
And hopefully they add 3G in an updated version.
48. aditya.k (Posts: 492; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
Asha 311 has really good sound quality. And its also loud! My mom has it. :D
41. spideyhead256 (Posts: 148; Member since: 05 Nov 2012)
looks quite cute =P might buy this to use as an mp3 player.hope it supports 5 or 10 band equalizers (old symbian phones had pretty good audio quality and equalizers)
46. grapeseed87 (Posts: 123; Member since: 13 Mar 2013)
When they come out with a touchscreen/ qwerty version with 3G for US markets, I would definitely get this over droid ANYDAY!
49. Arthurhkt (Posts: 210; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
Everytime when i saw Nokia release new Asha phone, it make me feel kinda sad and happy, i am sad because why not Nokia use Symbian as their Asha series OS?(Although i heard someone said before due to Symbian code was to messy or etc...) and i felt feel happy because from these Asha it seem like it remind me that some how Symbian and MeeGo(Nokia Ver) was still alive, cause their UI seem mix up from both, and i don't mind pay higher price if the phone comes with camera flash or wifi hotspot, but still it still a amazing phone on such a price, good luck Nokia, all the best :)
52. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
ITS A FACKING 99$ PHONE! WHY YOU COMPLAIN SO MUCH ON SPECS PA???
59. reindeer_nation (Posts: 14; Member since: 31 Jan 2013)
add instagram and I'll get it. probably wont happen though.
60. MC1123 (Posts: 1254; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
i like the interface but come on! 3"? and still s40?
oh my gosh nokia! bring something better on the low end market! stop making like it looks like a low end phone!
features are good like that fastlane but still no multitasking! low end market is as demanding as high end market you know! thats why these cheap android keep arriving all the time with dual/quad core and 1 GB of RAM!
again, at least merge some symbian code to that asha OS so that it can run symbian apps (.sis or .sisx) and with a REAL multitasking!
a good phone for those brainless minds though,they dont know what is a smartphone, they look good but featurephone that nokia market as a smartphone!
symbian is SMARTPHONE AND SMARTERPHONE!
62. Alex123 (Posts: 241; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
I love it but still problem with the small screen. I always dream that Nokia will enlarge the screen of its Asha phone to at least 3.8 up. however this phone is very fantastic!
63. TieuLaLa (Posts: 5; Member since: 09 May 2013)
Someone pls tell me, is it a smartphone ? 99$? Nokia will be a Hitman :(