Nokia 808 PureView will be the cameraphone to beat with whopping 41MP sensor, to arrive on Windows Phone too
1. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Dafaq? Why on earth would I want to have a camera which shoots photos which take ~ 1GB of space each?! This is crazy..
3. Stoli89 (Posts: 333; Member since: 28 Jun 2010)
If you had the chance to listen to the live announcement you'd see that the imaging introduces new compression tech. Nokia emphasized the ability of the phone to take extremely hi quality pics at data manageable levels...to include sharing versions easily uploaded to FB, etc. The huge sensor, which they claim is also coupled with satelite imaging techniques, will now allow extreme zooming without loss of detail. I can imagine the 1080p and low light performance must also be pretty exceptional on said device. Big Xenon flash, as well.
54. Medel (Posts: 84; Member since: 31 May 2011)
no you're crazy dude. the max photo will take 13mb to 15mb higher.
2. viper_3005 (Posts: 17; Member since: 21 Feb 2012)
1st impression-omfg! wtf? seriously ? this is insane!
4. eiyoy009 (Posts: 57; Member since: 01 Jun 2011)
wow!!!!!! i can't believe it..i always love nokia...i thought that nokia will be outshined by other camera pgones like sony and htc did but still nokia is the best!!
i hope that it will not eat all the memory after taking pictures :)
5. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5620; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
HOLY f**k! that goes way beyond my wildest dreams for a camera sensor. o.o
35. remixfa (Posts: 13935; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
no crap. I want to see an uncompressed image on my monitor darn it!! lol
6. naveenstuns (Posts: 172; Member since: 19 Feb 2012)
I never expected this!!! I thought it may be just about 20 megapixel sensor. It was bigggg surprise for me .
7. drahmad (Posts: 478; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)
Amazinggggggggggggggggg, bring it to windows phone quick plz
8. enternamehere (Posts: 9; Member since: 02 Jan 2012)
Finally, mentions it features xenon flash, nice :)
9. arksmc05 (Posts: 1; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
We don't want such a huge camera in mobile phones! Wtf?
10. theindianguy (Posts: 90; Member since: 30 Sep 2011)
It has great camera tech but a mediocre os ruins it all.
14. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 803; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
agree, plus I wished they used a different design. $600 for a symbian phone is one hefty price. . .
42. theindianguy (Posts: 90; Member since: 30 Sep 2011)
yeah $600 is just too expensive. Only the camera fanatics and nokia fanboys would buy it. I might be wrong though.
and what's with the thumbs down?
39. andro. (Posts: 1960; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Agreed. The N8 was a spectacular camera but a mediocre phone. These new 41 mp camera are going to be a complete waste on an awful unpopular os like windows.
Suppose nokia had to try get some sales somehow
51. shadez10 (Posts: 403; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
the OS ruins it all?.. your kidding right?.. u think that android or iOS could do such task to process and compress these huge images?.. i think not... they need some huge overhaul to do these things that symbian does...
52. theindianguy (Posts: 90; Member since: 30 Sep 2011)
Android or ios definately cant do the processing and stuff but in every other area, android can do better. and honestly, what would you prefer? a whole package with good apps and stuff or just a phone with an awesome camera?
53. shadez10 (Posts: 403; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
what android has is just a bunch of apps... nothing special... they are just the same with iOS... -_-
11. redmd (Posts: 896; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
$600 you said. yes I'll take it. nothing will beat that for a long time I think.
12. tigermcm (Posts: 729; Member since: 02 Sep 2009)
when I saw $600 i was like um is there a catch??
21. shadez10 (Posts: 403; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
i dont mide the OS... if it's nokia im buying it... :p
and FYI... nokia OS is getting better...
15. DIYguy (Posts: 190; Member since: 27 Feb 2011)
Goodbye sony, samsung, apple, huawei, zte, lg and others... Nokia will rule the world of mobile once again!
19. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 803; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
As if the pixel count determines the superiority of the smartphone.
26. Stoli89 (Posts: 333; Member since: 28 Jun 2010)
You have to look into the imaging tech, which essentially borrows from spy satelite tech. The 41 MP sensor is used to take 7 pixels of pure information and averaging out into one high quality data pixel, greatly removing noise. As well, the huge sensor allows for incredible zooming capabilites (both standing shots and video) without loss of detail. This is an all around killer camera phone, especially considering low light/evening shots. Not to forget, it comes with massive xenon flash plus video LED.
29. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 803; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
I know that since I own an n8, I know that the camera tech inside it is maybe about a light years ahead compared to the competition.
32. DIYguy (Posts: 190; Member since: 27 Feb 2011)
I know that pixel count isn't everything as I photograf my self. But this big a difference compared to other MOBILE cameras is huge and if the camera is even a little quality (knowing nokia's quality the camera is of superb quality) it will beat other cameras hands down. And 4x zoom in full HD is a huge plus.
40. andro. (Posts: 1960; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
The n8 had great camera but had poor sales due to the mediocrity of the phone,same again here now unfortunately
44. Striker (Posts: 92; Member since: 06 Nov 2011)
Nokia have never stopped ruling the mobile world, dude! They just took a break for a few years. Actually, in the near future the only competition of Nokia and WP will remain Apple. Even now, every other yellowish brand becomes faceless.
49. DIYguy (Posts: 190; Member since: 27 Feb 2011)
Yeah you're right! nokia has been the king of quality since the 3310!
17. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 803; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
Rule the mobile world with an obselete OS? yeah right!
20. tigermcm (Posts: 729; Member since: 02 Sep 2009)
they did say it will come to other nokia phones.....hinting WP basically
27. Stoli89 (Posts: 333; Member since: 28 Jun 2010)
You should try Nokia Belle first, before commenting.
28. Karan_Malhotra (Posts: 27; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
Dude don't you have a f*ckin brain !!! Can't you understand this bad ass phone is not about the OS, this is about the monster camera. The camera freaks would buy this anyhow, they won't care about the OS inside...
48. theindianguy (Posts: 90; Member since: 30 Sep 2011)
just because you don't like his opinion it doesn't mean you can be such a d**k. And yeah camera freaks would buy it but the sales aren't gonna be that badass because we are looking at a few people here.
18. Glim12808 (Posts: 393; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Wow this is so BAD so very very BAD! This definitely will come to WP but only when Apollo comes around! Can't wait!
22. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5620; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
if a Windows Phone Version of this comes out for Verizon (hopefully with Apollo) then i'll probably get it.
23. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
This camera sensor is unbelievable. Sony is a premium camera maker, with the greatest know how you can ask..yet here goes Finnish phone maker and turns everything upside down.
However ..all that this phone has, is the camera.
The rest is a joke compared to high end androids.
640x360 pixels on a four inch is a relic!
And a processor would be great two years ago.
24. Le05K (Posts: 18; Member since: 04 Nov 2011)
yeah 41MP run Nikon D800 run.
This is so sad, such a big camera run by crap OS and ruin by huge compression just as on N8, I also hope they chose the material right this time because N8 was bad nice phone but so slippery, I drop the phone more then any other. PLS Nokia put in user compression option.
25. kamil (Posts: 115; Member since: 07 Feb 2012)
its would be even better if the pixel density is 300 and above
31. Tarzan (Posts: 63; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
Wooooaaah!!! Am I dreaming or what ? This is like out of this world. I know its not released yet but Nokia have set the bar too high for the others.
I'm surprised no one mentioned the design which is also quite brilliant. For me its a love at first sight.
I don't understand the negative comments on this news. These are the people who envy their smart phones because they got the most Mega Pixels out there and now they are bashing Nokia just because it would take their beloved phone maker a few years to catch up.
Seriously this is the biggest news at MWC so far, thank you Phone Arena.
33. the_s2 (Posts: 206; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
MWC champion phone. Now Im confused, but I'll still go for the GS3. I love belle. I love nokia. Hoping for a Nokia-Samsung collaboration. #androidftw. #hateiosandwp.
34. mercorp (Posts: 971; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
omg.next step:a 100mp shooter that kills canon eos 1d.
36. remixfa (Posts: 13935; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
nokia didnt just set the new bar.. they ripped the old one out, set it on fire, put it out by peeing on it, and then spraypainted directions to the new bar on it since its so far away.
wow. thats beyond my dreams of improved camera tech for a mere generational leap. I cant wait until this type of stuff gets to american WP7 sets. Thats going to make them extremely hard to resist.
45. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
yeah you are right. and this phone is not about the OS its about the camera and light years ahead tech finns used to make it happen.
37. Nanaoallen (Posts: 2; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
People are saying they don't need such a huge camera in mobile phones!
but if it's in an android phone OMG! THE BEST PHONE EVER
I love NOKIA! :3
47. chapizzo (Posts: 116; Member since: 13 Sep 2011)
Very good observation. I think some of these people dont even own a smartphone. ALl they seem to care about is dual core / quad core, high resolution display. I dont matter that actually android runs very well on single core cpu and there are few apps optimised for the multi cores anyway. Belle is very much improved over previous versions and will only get better in carla and donna.
All they want is the phone to be future proof, I dont know what is more future proof than these camera.
38. Tarzan (Posts: 63; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
Guys have a look at these 2 uncompressed images from Nokia PureView.
Note: They are about 9 mb each so please be patient.
41. DontHateOnS60 (Posts: 861; Member since: 20 Apr 2009)
Hopefully it comes to WP in a better looking design WITH everything it currently has (HDMI, memory, Dolby, the mics it has), but dump that 4" display for a bigger one..
43. djripster (Posts: 130; Member since: 10 Dec 2011)
Despite the abuse Symbian takes it still a very mature OS... It would be hard to convice anyone to invest in one of these with a possible Windows version in the shadows...Especially with no proper guarantee of Symbian's future