Nokia 109 announced, brings Internet to the ultra low end
The Nokia 109 will be an important device for Nokia that has now become more of a company known for its affordable devices sold en masse rather than for its high-end smartphones. 2G connectivity allows users on the 109 to use Nokia’s Xpress Browser.
Of course, this device will also last you more than a smartphone - expect to charge it around twice a week rather than everyday. Essentially, it’s a basic feature phone with a 1.8” 128 x 160-pixel display, accepting memory cards of up to 32GB. It has no camera, so it’s strictly calls, Internet and music on the handset. And it does music pretty well with the loudspeaker delivering 103 phons.
The Nokia 109 will arrive in black and cyan this quarter in China, Pacific Asia and Europe. The price is set at the pretty nice $42 with no contract ties.
source: Nokia Conversations
Nokia 109 becomes official
1. wendygarett (unregistered)
not to criticise here but... Is this relevant to 2012 market?
2. redmd (Posts: 865; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
the world is not filled with US citizens. there is still a market for feature phones. you should travel more.
3. haseebzahid (Posts: 1812; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
yes it is the most conman used series in Asian markets and where mobile snatching crimes are high in my country every 3rd person has one or 2 of these series they are life saver
4. wendygarett (unregistered)
Now I see that :)
And yeah I should trvel more lol
9. GJanee (Posts: 211; Member since: 29 Jun 2011)
well at least he admits he was wrong, unlike many of the commenters here...
10. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
I should probably report this comment. :P
7. Cyan3boN (Posts: 425; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
Its for when your Iphone goes out of juice.
16. dickwyn (Posts: 581; Member since: 07 May 2012)
in developing countries like india nokia feature phones are very popular
22. eisenbricher (Posts: 970; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Especially when you can get good quality rugged devices from Nokia, instead of SamSuck, HTCrap and LGarbage at the price that low.
I mean, C'mon they last for years! Not a joke.
27. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
You need to go to africa or middle east !!
6. Pocketboy (Posts: 11; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
Haha its great Nokia is now entering the low end smartphone markets. They really need to up their game or they are going to end up like blackberry.
11. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
This is not a smartphone and Nokia has been in the low end market since, forever. And about RIM, they are still alive irrespective of their losses.
24. Pocketboy (Posts: 11; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
Who the f**k said i was referring only to this phone?
25. eisenbricher (Posts: 970; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Your previous comment didn't make any sense, and this also doesn't. You need to calm down, bro.
12. oo7Bond (Posts: 9; Member since: 25 Oct 2012)
i like it...i will buy one..they r life saver :D
14. angelesmec (unregistered)
It doubles as an "ice scraper" the traditional tool used to crush ice in "halo-halo"
15. predator93 (Posts: 121; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
A classic nokia phone with lumia like colour band, I like what they did here.
17. ogy_dogy (Posts: 453; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
Now why would i buy another featurephone, my 1998 5110 and my 2000 3110 still work perfectly well :D
18. Nookie4u (Posts: 127; Member since: 13 Aug 2012)
I should get one, in case something happens to my smartphone.
19. ibap (Posts: 688; Member since: 09 Sep 2009)
Looks like a good younger kid phone, and as a backup in a household with multiple phones.
23. -box- (Posts: 3728; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Or a simple light phone with no moving parts for elderly folk
31. haseebzahid (Posts: 1812; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
in my office normally guys got android high tech paired with ones of these for excesive sms traffic lol they still prefer this one for typing over smartphone which is totally logical
26. yowanvista (Posts: 298; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
Doesn't even have a fully fledged html browser, it's more like opera mini running on a dumb phone
28. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
It's still better than those berries
30. mydi.maus (unregistered)
i can use this for fly'n 2G around the world!..