Nexus Prime: what we know, and what we don't as of Oct. 7
0. phoneArena posted on 07 Oct 2011, 10:24
As the chips continue to fall into place, we want to gather it all up to cover what has been confirmed, what's still just rumor, and what is probably completely false when it comes to the Nexus Prime...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
87. InspectorGadget80 posted on 27 Aug 2011, 12:07 3 1
A troll gets eaten by a Chicken Hawk you mean
91. firebo14 posted on 27 Aug 2011, 12:14 1 1
Lol, yeah. :]
10. protozeloz posted on 26 Aug 2011, 17:55 8 0
well If the device spots full hardware acceleration(also a rumor), chrome web browser(rumor), honeycomb like changes to the UI and no buttons it could be quite interesting
12. protozeloz posted on 26 Aug 2011, 18:02 0 0
dunno I'll have to check tho... I can get a few more
28. protozeloz posted on 26 Aug 2011, 19:03 0 0
EDIT: That's All i remember for now sorry :(
58. snowgator posted on 27 Aug 2011, 00:25 2 0
@protozeloz: Every once in a while, I have to admit that I am not quite worthy of a tech merit badge yet and ask things.
What, exactly, is "full hardware acceleration"? I could guess, but I would rather not look stupid until it is something that is really worth looking stupid about...
72. protozeloz posted on 27 Aug 2011, 05:35 3 0
I'll try to explain in a simple way. Full hardware acceleration means its going to make the user interface faster and much more efficient. More info herehttp://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki
/Hardware_accelerationnow what happens is that with various combinations of hardware the job of making the hardware acceleration is not the simplest one. Android didn't have hardware acceleration at least not through the whole UI and at least not done by Google. Now honeycomb has started adding hardware acceleration and its expected that ICS will add more hardware acceleration. Witch should take care of some of the "Android is not as smooth as wp7 or iOS" comments
83. MichaelHeller posted on 27 Aug 2011, 11:29 1 0
I've been thinking on it and I'm gonna leave out hardware acceleration and Chrome from this piece. I'd rather the focus be the Nexus Prime, not ICS.
95. protozeloz posted on 27 Aug 2011, 13:40 0 0
sounds like a plan :3
247. YOUCANNOTDENY (unregistered) posted on 08 Oct 2011, 19:21 0 0
Are you kidding me? The 1.5 TI OMAP 4460 is the only thing that's NOT breath taking. The SGX 540 can't even touch the Mali 400.
2. Jamister989 posted on 26 Aug 2011, 17:24 0 3
With T-mobile so to be acquired by AT&T, I highly doubt Google would risk putting their next Nexus device on a network to be integrated with ma bell's who runs on different 3G & 4G frequencies.
3. MichaelHeller posted on 26 Aug 2011, 17:35 3 0
that acquisition won't go through for at least a year, if it is ever actually approved. Google will have to make that decision with the Nexus 4 but the Prime is safe.
78. remixfa posted on 27 Aug 2011, 07:21 3 0
jamister, its not like ATT is going to just shut down all tmobile 4g signals right away.. they would be pissing off half of Tmobile's customers who reside in high end phones.. which would probably be 10-15 million people screaming bloody murder that their phones dont work. If ATT did that, they would have to let Tmobile people out of their contracts for breaking the original tmobile agreements on service.. they arent going to do any of that.
Besides, what does a phone manufacturer care. In the off chance that im wrong and ATT really does that then the manufacturer sold X millions to tmobile customers who now need new phones and gets to resell X millions to the same people. they win twice.
4. rcy189 posted on 26 Aug 2011, 17:43 0 1
I agree with gallitoking. Nothing seems to stand out about this phone so far (huge disappointment for me if it only has a 5MP camera). Running ice cream sandwich alone wouldn't make me run to get this phone.
67. gallitoking posted on 27 Aug 2011, 02:14 1 4
Michael you think that a phone of this caliber should have a 5mp camera.. rushed ICS?...
84. MichaelHeller posted on 27 Aug 2011, 11:33 3 0
As I said in this article, and the article I wrote about rushing ICS, I don't want either of those things. But, regardless of OS preference, I'd expect the idea of a 720p screen on a phone to excite our readership, because a screen like that wouldn't just push forward other Android handsets, but it would push Apple and WP7 manufacturers to better their screens as well. The iPhone retina display would be the reason Google wants to push high res screens. This screen would push everyone. It's the glorious circle of tech.
109. gallitoking posted on 28 Aug 2011, 00:26 0 0
I agree on that... thank you sir..
119. remixfa posted on 28 Aug 2011, 09:56 2 0
its the ciiiiircle of teeeeech... and it moooooves us aaaalll... through dual core SoCs... and HD Screeeeenss.. you will find us theere... wading through tech uuuneendiiinng.. its the ciiiiiircle... the circle of tech...
lol, yea, i went all lion king up in here.. whatcha gonna do about it!?! lol
139. MichaelHeller posted on 28 Aug 2011, 17:56 0 0
You have to record it and put it up on YouTube before you impress me.
156. remixfa posted on 29 Aug 2011, 08:34 0 0
no.. u dont wanna hear that.. lol
43. Synack posted on 26 Aug 2011, 21:51 3 0
ICS makes dual core run more than twice as fast as it does now. So imagine current phones such as the SGS2 on a quad core and you'll have the Nexus Prime. ICS really is something to love.
13. InspectorGadget80 posted on 26 Aug 2011, 18:11 0 3
NO ONES KNOWS SQUAT WHAT NEXUS PRIME SPECS HAVE PERIOD.
14. andro (unregistered) posted on 26 Aug 2011, 18:32 1 6
I work in the mobile phone industry and have been talking to a Samsung rep in recently,the rep has seen and held the nexus prime and said its the same spec as the galaxy s2 but with a curved screen and metal frame back. Nexus prime will not allow memory card storage but will have 'large' memory
The phone does has ice cream os but does not features the super amoled plus hd screen as that according to the rep will be by the looks of it kept for the galaxy s3 in the start of 2012. The rep also claimed the galaxy s2 will be getting an update to ice cream in october/november
17. remixfa posted on 26 Aug 2011, 18:39 4 0
right, i know many samsung reps and none of have ever spilled the beans on ANY major devices and i know some of them personally. nice try though.
16. The_Miz posted on 26 Aug 2011, 18:38 1 10
Still doesn't interest me like the iPhone 5 does. Plus, it looks like a bar of soap.
19. MichaelHeller posted on 26 Aug 2011, 18:41 8 3
Ha! Bar of soap, that's a good one. Good to know you're sticking with iPhone tho Miz!
23. wassup posted on 26 Aug 2011, 18:52 4 0
lol bar of soap... really?
p.s the only REAL interesting thing the iPhone5 might have is that this won't have the ability to drop calls.... it's magic ;)
anyways, i am sooo getting this when it come's out... i don't care if its HD or not, i just want S-AMOLED.... the screen is far better than any LCD one(including the iPhone and its retina display, which this has beat).
33. protozeloz posted on 26 Aug 2011, 20:12 2 0
You really would like him as an Android user? I mean sharing OS preference with him must be a torture. My iPhone friends facepalm at most his comments. Its like he pokes fun at iPhone users by becoming a meme
40. wassup posted on 26 Aug 2011, 21:36 3 0
lol true that, u never know, he could be the black sheep of our eco-system, all eco-systems need one, he's already trained in the art of black-sheeping, so yeah, i won't mind, just for comic relief... no 1 would take him seriously, so he won't feel out of place.... i mean, no 1 takes him seriously anyways when he's for iOS ;)
oh and i like turtles
46. The_Miz posted on 26 Aug 2011, 21:54 0 13
It's like i said before, Android fans will always try to justify themselves when the truth gets spoken. And btw, I like frogs
47. The_Miz posted on 26 Aug 2011, 21:54 0 12
I think the most shocking part of your post is that you have friends lol.
73. protozeloz posted on 27 Aug 2011, 05:39 3 1
What ? is not a common thing for you?
104. The_Miz posted on 27 Aug 2011, 21:45 0 4
I wish it was, kiddo. btw, I like frogs
114. protozeloz posted on 28 Aug 2011, 06:58 1 0
Lol kiddo...What are you 40? Your comments make you look like you are 4
120. remixfa posted on 28 Aug 2011, 09:58 2 0
i dont like turtles.
89. InspectorGadget80 posted on 27 Aug 2011, 12:10 2 0
The_Miz should put a bar of soap in your mouth since you talk too damn much and you're not even champion anymore. why don't you go make promo for Sub Way
110. gallitoking posted on 28 Aug 2011, 00:28 0 4
go go gadget.....go .. the hell out of here...
246. iHateCrapple posted on 08 Oct 2011, 18:17 0 0
What do you mean, gallito? Explain yourself!!!
21. andro (unregistered) posted on 26 Aug 2011, 18:47 1 0
remixfa,im telling the truth,the truth as far as the rep told us! The rep was more interested in telling us how sales are being distributed here through out europe of galaxys etc but we got that much info from them!
22. notTHATexcited (unregistered) posted on 26 Aug 2011, 18:48 0 0
although a hd 720 screen sounds good on paper the tech is based on pentile. Also will the extra pixel really be that much better? and will the extra pixel pushing hurt the performance of the phone and battery overall? that's my concern over the screen and so i just can't be too excited.
other than that I don't think the difference between a 1.5ghz vs 1.2 ghz really make a real world difference.
the gpu on the nexus is most likely the 540 if the soc is the 4460, if that is the case than that gpu is old just clocked higher.
ics just might be overly rushed if that is the case than it will lack features, polishing, and full of bugs.
probably won't come to verizon
in conclusion: am I excited- maybe just a little I'll have to wait out, but for now I will be getting the gs2 on sprint for $25 plus tax when it comes out.
52. Commentator posted on 26 Aug 2011, 22:21 0 0
As to the screen issue, a 720p 4.5 inch screen would be classified as a retina display at 326ppi (http://members.ping.de/~sven/dpi.html), although I'm not sure how much the pentile matrix would affect (effect?) that. I've always thought of the retina display as a gimmick anyways, but if anyone's really into pixel density it's a plus I guess...
29. jordanx posted on 26 Aug 2011, 19:20 0 1
the nexus prime will be better if it have tha snapdragon s4 with 28 nm , or the tegra 3 kal-el
31. MichaelHeller posted on 26 Aug 2011, 19:54 3 0
so, you'd rather the Nexus Prime came at an undetermined time next year, rather than this fall?
121. remixfa posted on 28 Aug 2011, 10:01 1 0
if it has a snapdragon ANYTHING in it, imma pass it right by. kal-el would be great though.
Im torn on that aspect. I really hoped it would launch the Kal El. If it was like the difference of 1 maybe 2 months then yea, I would rather it wait.. if it pushes it back to febuary, heck no...
but it should at least be a 1.5ghz exynos in there. :)
140. MichaelHeller posted on 28 Aug 2011, 17:59 1 0
I'm pretty sure it's gonna be the 1.5 OMAP. Exynos hasn't gotten past 1.2. Samsung's been too busy making 720p screens and watching Kubrick movies.
143. remixfa posted on 28 Aug 2011, 19:05 1 0
their roadmap before said that they planned on taking the exynos up to 1.8ghz before its all done... so we'll see. Until we get official specs, Imma keep my fingers crossed that samsung continues to push exynos in its "flagship" phones.. which the Prime should definitely be. Also, if history is an indicator (the nexus2 was almost completely identical to SGS internally), it has a good chance.
34. Moo (unregistered) posted on 26 Aug 2011, 20:34 1 0
I own the nexus s. No issues and will probably get the Nexus Prime.
36. chezzitstealer posted on 26 Aug 2011, 21:06 1 1
it would be sweet it had a 12 mega pixel camera
38. lemenade posted on 26 Aug 2011, 21:19 0 0
First thoughts are i rather it be later than rushed to beat the iPhone 5
2. the iPhone 5 cant possible compare to any of these
3.i am hoping that it will come to sprint within 2011
and finally how sick of a wallpaper would that optimus prime icon up top be for the prime
(if some one could make it a wall paper that would be sick)
41. protozeloz posted on 26 Aug 2011, 21:44 0 0
http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/nexus-prime-logo-600x592.jpg right click (long press) and save as. Or set as wallpaper
48. Synack posted on 26 Aug 2011, 22:00 1 0
I love the Prime logo whoever wrote this article (too lazy to scroll, playing a game).
49. MichaelHeller posted on 26 Aug 2011, 22:08 3 0
Yeah, that logo is awesome. All thanks to nviii-Surberus from deviantart. definitely one of the coolest things I've seen in a while.
56. Galen20K posted on 27 Aug 2011, 00:18 1 0
definitely buying Nexus Prime on T-Mobile from launch.