Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 to start getting Android 4.4 tonight
0. phoneArena 12 Nov 2013, 20:21 posted on
Good news for (many) Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 owners! Google has officially announced that the Wi-Fi only versions of the Nexus 10 as well as the Nexus 7 (2012) and Nexus 7 (2013) are slated to start getting the update to Android 4.4 KitKat tonight. Google hasn't said how long the rollout will take overall, but at least now we all know that it's time to start spamming the Software Update screen on our Nexus tablets...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
5. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
It will still have 4.4 months before any other phones.
6. protozeloz (Posts: 5396; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Well Google play edition devices should get updated about nexy week
8. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
*waits for HTC to fail, again*
11. 14545 (Posts: 1461; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Again, your point is? Everyone that buys an Android device KNOWS it's not an instantaneous update. We are condition to that fact.
7. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
just another hater
41. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
Nexus devices should not have to wait from any update coming straight from Google...
42. JonBjSig (Posts: 176; Member since: 17 Nov 2011)
They have to wait because the update just isn't ready yet.
Every Android device be it Nexus or not runs a different build of the OS each tailored to that specific device.
Sometimes it just takes a while to iron out the bugs in each build.
43. protozeloz (Posts: 5396; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Why? Taged Rollouts have proven to be more effective and cause less bugs to the users (witch we saw on iOS like it was a horde) most OS's take a few months to rollout the update to everyone, iOS was released to the public months after its announcement and people waited, why people can not wait for an update of a device announced just a few weeks ago?
50. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
the difference here is that KitKat has been released and and the nexus have not received it... Apple on Sept 18 within hours was available to every Apple device...
52. protozeloz (Posts: 5396; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Like I said, the way they operate is different, I don't see why staged rollouts are a bad thing, when they ensure customers won't have issues with the update to begin with, or should I point the horde of bugs that plagued every iPhone consumer in your so called "perfect release method"
12. woodshop20 (Posts: 459; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
You have two full stops when there is supposed to be one and three commas for a pause. iPhone keyboard failing again?
Change it...oh wait, you can't.
17. ihavenoname (Posts: 1693; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Don't hate bro, let people have phones they like. Not everyone likes Android, ( I do like Android, but I also like iOS ).
33. batman888 (Posts: 37; Member since: 06 Dec 2012)
exactly i hate ios no customization its like we are slaves to cracked up apple
51. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
you are not a slave simply because no one forces you to buy Apple.. is your decision.. own up..
9. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
As long they announce the NEXUS line up gets 4.4 is fine with me mine is a 2012 nexus 7.
10. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
No, I need official 4.4 on my 2013 n7, now.
13. Tux_Alan (Posts: 74; Member since: 30 Jan 2013)
Still is sad, KK is the first update I have to wait for since I began buying nexus devices.... Always been a strong point for me....sad
14. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10436; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Already running 4.4 on my S3. Abusing the check for updates button all night. :)
15. jarnts (Posts: 12; Member since: 26 Oct 2013)
4.4 is out on your galaxy s3? Do you have a custom rom or something? I didnt think 4.4 was coming to the S3s.
21. NedStarkLeMadrilene (Posts: 19; Member since: 26 Oct 2013)
Either he is lying for having it (because galaxy s3 is not a nexus device as far as I know), or he rooted his phone and he is using a custom rom! Thats all simple
29. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10436; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Here you go.
31. NedStarkLeMadrilene (Posts: 19; Member since: 26 Oct 2013)
I see you are running Cyanogen mod, but then why you want to abuse the check button?
39. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10436; Member since: 14 May 2012)
The article was pertaining to the Nexus 7, which I own in case you didn't know.
55. NedStarkLeMadrilene (Posts: 19; Member since: 26 Oct 2013)
Loool but how i am suppose to know you have a nexus 7 man? :p
16. cR203 (Posts: 199; Member since: 27 Jan 2013)
I hope this update will breath some new life into my nexus 10
18. ihavenoname (Posts: 1693; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Waiting KitKat for N7 2013 and S4 Mini (confirmed, that it will get it).
19. DimitriTech (unregistered)
10:05... comon pls! :E
20. DimitriTech (unregistered)
it annoys me how the update screen says im up to date, id rather have it say no update found, or no update yet..
22. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Waiting for SlimKat 4.4!! :D
26. DimitriTech (unregistered)
omg.. was this a lie? its already 3:09 PT and still nothing for my Nexus 7 (2013)
27. medicci37 (Posts: 1271; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
Was supposed to come out last night but haven't seen any post on the tech sites saying they've received the update. Has anyone actually been able to get it yet?
28. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
I'm kind of choked too, why is N4 being left to last?
Google has kind of choked me with this roll out of an update.
32. jasonmadura161 (Posts: 12; Member since: 08 Oct 2013)
It's funny that the head of the Android Community posts this.... (as we all repetitively continue to tap "update")..... yet no one anywhere has actually gotten said update...... hmmmm..... Might the OP of the Android post be a troll?????? Yes.... A cruel sadistic troll.... not the kind that lives under a bridge or anything.... that's just silly.
35. DimitriTech (unregistered)
Well off to school... :/ guess ill have to wait for the update if it even comes out today.. the day after it was said it would come out.
36. batman888 (Posts: 37; Member since: 06 Dec 2012)
Finally! The Update ! downloading now on 55% on my nxs 7 (2013) Cant wait for it to finish installing .........
37. DimitriTech (unregistered)
where are you? east coast? im still not getting squat!
56. batman888 (Posts: 37; Member since: 06 Dec 2012)
not in east coast im in america the land of opportunity
38. garlic456 (Posts: 251; Member since: 24 Dec 2012)
Plz someone tell when other countries will get this?
40. W.P._Android_in_that_Order (Posts: 208; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
It should be good. 4.3 gave me a substantial update on my Nexus 7.
The only thing I'm on the fence about is the always-on and always-listening. Not a fan of that at all.
44. vishu9 (Posts: 252; Member since: 03 Mar 2011)
Still waiting on my Nexus 10. Wonder what's happening, they announced it approximately 24 hours ago. :/
45. medicci37 (Posts: 1271; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
It's been 2 days & haven't heard of anyone getting the update without flashing. This is bs. Wtf Google!
46. Piotrek007 (Posts: 112; Member since: 07 Dec 2010)
I guess you dying cancer and that is why you want so desperate to have this update "right here, right now!" ? o.0b Chill out ! Geez....
48. medicci37 (Posts: 1271; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
I guess your mama is retarded or you wouldn't say something so stupid. If they said it was released it should be available! Used to have much better customer service but the average consumer (piotrek) is 2 stupid to realize that
49. medicci37 (Posts: 1271; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
Also I called Google for unrelated issue & was told kit kat isn't available & they insisted getting it is impossible via flashing. That's just pure incompetence on Googles part
53. Piotrek007 (Posts: 112; Member since: 07 Dec 2010)
Woah ! To call google and ask about update ?? Hahaha who is retarded in here !! Weirdo xD
54. veevans01 (Posts: 29; Member since: 09 Jan 2012)
Well it is Friday November 15th and no update yet. Atlanta Georgia.
58. mega20913 (Posts: 14; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
Its Sunday November 17, 2013. Still no update