Next phase of Firefox OS launch begins with new phones on the way
0. phoneArena 09 Oct 2013, 05:54 posted on
A number of new handsets powered by Firefox OS 1.1 are on the way; this is the latest version of the HTML5 based operating system, one which existing phones running the OS have yet to be updated to. The current models include the Alcatel One Touch Fire and the ZTE Open, which are available from Telefonica in Spain, Columbia and Venezuela and from Poland's Deutsche Telekom...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. bloodline (Posts: 691; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Looks ok for a low end OS but android can also be low end and it can't compete with that.
Maybe if they opted for a compete diff UI it might be more interesting
3. sharks (Posts: 164; Member since: 16 Feb 2013)
This isn't about Firefox OS vs Android. Firefox OS is a purely HTML5-based OS. It will always be lighter than Android, even if the former's currently available customizations and stock features are nothing to boast about, but it gets the job done. This is especially attractive to manufacturers who want to offer Android-like smartphone features on the least powerful (AKA cheapest) hardware possible. But in the future, Firefox might grow to become a serious contender to Google's mobile OS. Hopefully. Competition is always a good thing for us, consumers.
10. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Agreed. Firefox is also a well known name, so that also helps. Personally, some of this looks great, love the round icons.
2. androiphone20 (Posts: 1399; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
hmm that's pretty cool if you ask me
6. Gaurav008 (Posts: 274; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
Are there any good reviews of Firefox OS in the Internet?
PA should do it. I think.
7. taikucing (unregistered)
needs more apps
16. Pancholo (Posts: 377; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
They are HTML5 apps, so you will see an app for almost anything and more. Just wait 'til the OS becomes more available and the store will have devs flocking to it.
8. sniperdroid (Posts: 113; Member since: 23 May 2013)
Has anyone else noticed on the pics that angry birds is mixed up with Evernote?
20. jiezel91 (Posts: 56; Member since: 28 Jul 2011)
Aside from that, the settings icon has 15 notifications? o_O
9. sniperdroid (Posts: 113; Member since: 23 May 2013)
I think Samsung if they could, should buy this OS because to me it looks better than Tizen.
12. sinple (Posts: 98; Member since: 04 Nov 2011)
it looked more like IOS then android. Same counter on different icons, the notification on lockscreen, and even security lock
17. Pancholo (Posts: 377; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Most instructive and intelligent comment of the day.
19. Landmarkcm (Posts: 418; Member since: 11 Aug 2009)
Argh why did webOS have to fail! That was the best software wise. What a waste! I went back to iphone Im pretty new with 5C had briefly tried 4s before. Prob w being on Sprint @ the time didn't help the experience. I wish I could make my own dream device. It would be like mix w windowsphone with the live customizeable tiles with android openness splash ios ease with great camera, battery, sound, screen etc. All the apps avail with imessage & face time all in a slim sleek body in diff colors haha . Such a device does not exist. Always something right.