Next iPhone to sport a touch-enabled home key out of sapphire, doubling as a fingerprint scanner
0. phoneArena 14 May 2013, 07:59 posted on
Apple is using the ultra-tough sapphire glass for the scratch-proof camera lens on the iPhone 5, but if a report from the Taiwanese supply chain is to be believed, it plans on expanding its usage to the home button on the iPhone 5S, iPhone 6 or whatever this year's edition gets named...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
O just the home button made with Sapphire, why not the whole front?
And Apple charge you £500 for a midrange device with high-end Cpu-Gpu!
Well atleast you could use Dragontrail, front and rear!
O so the Apple products are ment to be a wow factor: cool, style, fashion, show-off.....?
3. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 7167; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
iPhones get better benchmark scores than many high end android phones. That is nothing like midrange.
11. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Why wouldn't it because it's half unmatured, what do you expect from an iOs an App launcher OS, that only slides left2right, and just requires 160Mb of Ram!
26. gallitoking (Posts: 4704; Member since: 17 May 2011)
So with your respond you agree that the iphone is no midrange device which you falsely stated.. meaning that you already lied making you a troll and a liar..
28. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Hey Galli where have you been? Posting after a time!
No it uses a highend Cpu,Gpu, but it clarifies as a mid tier device cause it's feautreless and materials used in ip4 is worser than plastic, cheap shattering glass™
34. gallitoking (Posts: 4704; Member since: 17 May 2011)
I am still around I read just dont post as much... nice to see you havent lost a beat...lol.. take care.. troll you know I love you
13. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"iPhones get better benchmark scores than many high end android phones"
Also you forgot to mention that iPhone 5 has lower resolution than many high end Android OS based smartphones today and that iOS has less functionality compared to Android OS.
53. Sauce (unregistered)
Lack of knowledge shown above. It's resolution is the highest pixel density that the human eye is unable to notice pixelation at a typical viewing distance. Retina display. Not to mention even an iPhone 3g screen functions better than past-recent and most android phone screens hahah.
61. iushnt (Posts: 1010; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
u got his point wrong, he means to say that current android devices has to process more pixels(about millions more) compared to iphone..despite of that hey still hold impressive benchmarking compared to iphone
69. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
My comment was reply to Mxyzptlk comment #3 where he was talking about benchmark scores, that's why I was talking about resolution. And thats mean that your commet is off-topic...
16. tedkord (Posts: 7625; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Thats because it does half as much with one third the pixels.
30. Daftama (Posts: 598; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Of course it will get better score..
No high resolution
No tru multi task
No home screen
No advanced camera
Basic smartphone for dummies is what I call it no offense. ..it is what it is give it the functionality as android you will be disappointed
31. Ninetysix (Posts: 1963; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Please keep the lag/stuttering on Android. Thank you.
42. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Pure Android 4.0 or higher is flawless, it lags when the manufacturer packs to much crap on the phone like Samsung.
47. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
So blame the Cpu, which can't keep up to it's OS, looks like after all these years it has come to a halt, that the A15 will be needed no matter what you thro at them, it will run very smooth.
62. iushnt (Posts: 1010; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
no more..i don't see lag even on mid range android now a days..and yes iOS lags more often now a days compared to android..
67. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4201; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Even mid range Android phones don't lag. Please get up to date, this isn't 2010 anymore.
37. phonemirer (Posts: 111; Member since: 07 Dec 2012)
it has the advantage that it is simpler, more optimized, and optimized apps, android is very fragmentated and doesnt run apps natively and so on...
yup, i5 is 640p while top end lumias are 768p and top end android are 1080p (gimnnick, 350ppi is enough)
43. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
1080p makes a difference the screens look very sharp.
63. iushnt (Posts: 1010; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
even though it is so much fragmented, they have successfully reached higher quality status like apple..I salute android for being so innovative
40. Droiddoes (unregistered)
That's because there's virtually nothing going on in an iphail to tax the processor.
60. iushnt (Posts: 1010; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
Actually in real life usage, I find mid range galaxy grand better than iPhone 5 because it can do so much more..I think iphones are good in benchmark because they rarely have any functionality compared to android plus a good cpu and gpu..however it couldnt beat note 2 on benchmarking..
66. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4201; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
But without proper software to take advantage of that powerful hardware, the iPhone 5 isn't in the ranks of high end Android devices.
Also, in Geekbench, the iPhone 5 scores about the same as the international GS3. The GS4 pretty much doubles that, so the iPhone 5 matches high end Android benchmarks of *last year*, early last year at that, effectively making it mid range.
You leave out a lot of crucial details in your statements.
59. thekai12 (Posts: 25; Member since: 07 Dec 2010)
Didn't Corning say that sapphire wasn't as tough as every body thought versus gorilla glass 3 so that doesn't make the phone anything special except for maybe the fingerprint scanner
2. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 7167; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
This is awesome. Apple is pulling out all the stops for the next iPhone.
5. juandante (Posts: 459; Member since: 23 Apr 2013)
At least we will not have deception like the joke Lumia 925.
12. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Trye deception, decievness+1. That's what i said befor on the other article
20. darkkjedii (Posts: 16201; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Do u guys realize that sometimes mxy is baiting y'all? And u guys fall for it every time lol
22. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Hey Dark where have you been, posting after few days, how is you
23. darkkjedii (Posts: 16201; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I'm good Troll. How r u? I've been very busy with wedding plans, getting a chapel, tux's for me and my boys and my brides dress. I've managed to get some PA time though. Hope all is well.
44. ecmedic4 (Posts: 274; Member since: 02 May 2013)
Well since no one else has said it yet.....congrats! Hope all goes well with the wedding! Just make sure she doesnt break out the whip after you say "I do" or your a goner lol. She not very big, but she might be able to take ya.
54. darkkjedii (Posts: 16201; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Now that was funny lmao. +1, and thanx for the kind words.
49. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
I'm cool, all the best, GOD bless*®
57. darkkjedii (Posts: 16201; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Glad to hear it man. Give my best wishes to droiddoes lol.
29. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
What the, iv'e been thumbed down by asking Dark a qusetion, lmao!
33. darkkjedii (Posts: 16201; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
We all have haters bro. Get used to it lol. There's some very childish people ruining this site.
36. darkkjedii (Posts: 16201; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Droiddoes and PhoneArenaUser thumbed you down lol. And they got me too
38. Droiddoes (unregistered)
For someone who supposedly doesn't care about that, you sure never shut the hell up about it.
48. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Hey Dark look whose hear? Droidoes, where's Gmracer and PAU...?
56. darkkjedii (Posts: 16201; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
The other two may have taken the day off, but droiddoes needs his daily fix of darkkjedii hating lmao...he's my pal though.
52. ecmedic4 (Posts: 274; Member since: 02 May 2013)
Heck i got thumbed down for telling him congrats on getting married, and for cracking a lil joke.
7. chistoefurpuffer (Posts: 140; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
Indeed, let's hope they don't pull the same unimpressive move they pulled 5 years in a row, as in little difference with each model and slight spec improvements.
Then again, iOS isn't as powerhungry as Android is, so it doesn't need all that power.
25. kozza3 (Posts: 637; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
could you imagine the performance boost if they used a snapdragon 600 with 2GB RAM and?? me neither...
15. tedkord (Posts: 7625; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
By copying Android (capacitive buttons) and Motorola (fingerprint scanner). Awesome!
21. paulislegend (Posts: 42; Member since: 15 Mar 2012)
... this "stop" has been pulled out by google like a million years ago. Yawn.
24. kozza3 (Posts: 637; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
all the stops = sapphire covered capacitive home button with a built in fingerprint sensor
27. Mr.Verizon (Posts: 23; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
So were all supposed to believe that Apple... who covets profit margin almost more than anything (the reason iphones don't use gorilla glass and use tempered sheet glass instead) has now decided to use one of the 2 most expensive durable glass products? I take this with a grain of salt. Also if they aren't going to have a physical home button the whole front display will have to be one piece. I don't see them spending somewhere from $6-8 now to $35+ per iphone. Losing too much profit per phone. Thats one of the reasons stock is down. Their profit margin is starting to shrink a bit.
19. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
I don't think so, you've been thumbed down....
58. darkkjedii (Posts: 16201; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Lmao Troll you got more than him lol.
6. Rorschach (Posts: 83; Member since: 26 Apr 2013)
How many time stronger than Gorilla Glass?
I love seeing more innovation from Apple. Hopefully this plus a larger battery and the new iOS should bring it back into competition with Andriod.
10. icyrock1 (Posts: 307; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
Its not made buy apple. Corning also posed a video compairing it to there glass (has such, take that with a grain of salt), and the glass "won". I can't post links, go to CNET and search for Corning.